It just keeps coming out!

sappy32

Hey everyone,

I am quite new to this and am posting for just the second time. I guess I was hoping to get some friendly advice from the gallery.

I am 31 years old and have been experiencing hair loss since college and in the last year or so, it seems that my hair just can't wait to fall out. I would conservatively say I am a 4-5 in the NW scale and quicky moving to 5.

We all have similar reasons for wanting to combat hair loss and only those in these similar positions can sympathize and understand what we go through on a daily basis. I am even more frustrated since a significant part of my income stems from "how I look." With the increased hair loss I have experienced of late, I have lost out on many job opportunities and thus am feeling the financial pinch more than I like.

I have been taking Propecia for just over 3 months now and have noticed NO difference in hair loss. This has been very disappointing to say the least since I thought by this time I would have slowed the loss a bit. I also have been using Minoxidil in my crown area for about a month. The hair loss in my crown maybe has decreased a bit but my hairline and temple areas are still shedding as before. In fact, when I shower or when my hair is wet, I don't want to touch it for fear of looking down at my fingers and becoming depressed. Does Propecia take this long to SLOW down hair loss? Many people seem to experience positive results at only 3 months. Do I need to be a little more patient? I am not expecting any miracles here, I just want the hair loss to subside.

I also had a HT a little over a month ago (1500 FUs) mostly in my hairline area and temporal regions. I thought by doing this in combination with Propecia, I would get the results I wanted. If I continue to lose hair like I currently am, a second surgery may be necessary and that would put a HUGE financial burden on me. Also, once I start down this road of HTs is there no turning back?

I would appreciate any suggestions you all have concerning my situation.

Hey everyone,

I am quite new to this and am posting for just the second time. I guess I was hoping to get some friendly advice from the gallery.

I am 31 years old and have been experiencing hair loss since college and in the last year or so, it seems that my hair just can't wait to fall out. I would conservatively say I am a 4-5 in the NW scale and quicky moving to 5.

We all have similar reasons for wanting to combat hair loss and only those in these similar positions can sympathize and understand what we go through on a daily basis. I am even more frustrated since a significant part of my income stems from "how I look." With the increased hair loss I have experienced of late, I have lost out on many job opportunities and thus am feeling the financial pinch more than I like.

I have been taking Propecia for just over 3 months now and have noticed NO difference in hair loss. This has been very disappointing to say the least since I thought by this time I would have slowed the loss a bit. I also have been using Minoxidil in my crown area for about a month. The hair loss in my crown maybe has decreased a bit but my hairline and temple areas are still shedding as before. In fact, when I shower or when my hair is wet, I don't want to touch it for fear of looking down at my fingers and becoming depressed. Does Propecia take this long to SLOW down hair loss? Many people seem to experience positive results at only 3 months. Do I need to be a little more patient? I am not expecting any miracles here, I just want the hair loss to subside.

I also had a HT a little over a month ago (1500 FUs) mostly in my hairline area and temporal regions. I thought by doing this in combination with Propecia, I would get the results I wanted. If I continue to lose hair like I currently am, a second surgery may be necessary and that would put a HUGE financial burden on me. Also, once I start down this road of HTs is there no turning back?

I would appreciate any suggestions you all have concerning my situation.

The reason i'm writing this to you is that I feel for you. You asked for some friendly advice, and you got some stupid response from someone named $$clown. probably an appropriate login name for this guy !! You're right, we all have our reasons for doing a ht, and being concerned about hair loss. Having a hp, and then opening up on this website, really puts you "out there" to everybody. What kind of a question is "are you a male prostitute". good lord. I had a ht 6 weeks ago, and have gone thru the gamit of emotions, probably like you. I have accepted my decision as one that will bring what it brings, and I'm ok with that. I can't really respond to your questions regarding your concerns, other than to say that I have had them too. I went through what I thought was shock loss, my thin top suddenly looked thinner one day. But it looks better now. The donor scar is still tight, i'm wondering if and when that will go away. if it doesn't, then so be it, i'm still the same guy. I have to admit, tho, i do fret about my hair the same as i did before the ht, but now feel if it works, great, if not, what the heck. Actually, I think making the decision to have a ht can help you accept your condition ultimately maybe better than you could before. I might have got off topic, but I read your post,a genuine reaching out to your comrades, and then saw this response and felt I must say something. I would caution you to avoid feeling that your hair situation caused your losing jobs, unless you are attempting to land hair commercials. So, you may be going thru shock loss, the propecia takes a while, as I understand, 6 months (?) Probably the best approach toward hair loss is acceptance, but if it can be improved upon, great. HT's are really for our own self confidence, anyway. I have an incredible wife, 5 children, have been married for 23 years, and have been receding/thinning/going bald for most of those years. Yet, somehow, my wife married me, I have enjoyed my professional life, and have made it this far. Hang in there, and give everything time.

Even though the common wisdom is that rogaine does not stop frontal or temple hair loss, I have been using Rogaine in the front and it stopped my hair loss there for many years and even helped me regrow some hair back.

HGo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Do I need to be a little more patient? I am not expecting any miracles here, I just want the hair loss to subside.

It can take up to a year for propecia to show results (I've heard sometimes even longer).

It's possible that you may be experiencing "shock fallout" where the surgery accelerates the hair loss cycle. I can't say for sure. Was your hair loss stablized before the surgery? That is a good thing to do, for the prospective patient. It's better to NOT be in a hair loss "free fall" when you are sitting down for your surgery. It's quite possible that you would have been better off giving yourself more time on Propecia, ahead of time (before the surgery).

I don't know what you can do now, except stay on Propecia and Minoxidil, and hope things level off quickly.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Also, once I start down this road of HTs is there no turning back? Umm, yes. That's why it is extremely important to know what you are getting into, and know everything you need to do in order to get the best results. Getting a hair transplant is a big decision, especially for the younger guys.

I would keep going with your medications, and as your grafts grow in hopefully you will be happy with the overall results. You're still in the very very early stages, so don't push the panic button.

I'll echo arfy's advice.

Let me add what I tell everybody: This is all a RISK. And there is no guarantee of success. The best we can do is make and educated guess and an informed decision and then let the chips fall where they may.

For instance, I didn't know for sure how well I'd respond to Propecia or if I'd get shock loss, etc. I did know that my dad and I share the same family hair, he is NW5 with thick sides and back and I have similar hair characteristics, I have blond hair, etc. I did as much as I could to make sure that I would minimize the chances of an unpleasant surprise.

And still, no guarantees. It turned out I had some "breaks" go in my favor, at least for now.

Hey, chin up and stick with it! We'll never manage to get rid of all our problems and concerns, but I can say this, I stand a better chance of managing and controlling things I understand versus things I have no clue about.

Best of luck. We are all pulling for you.

Even A$$CLOWN, I'm sure! icon_smile.gif

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

Thanks for the support guys. I think I was a bit misunderstood especially by the Clown man(I do part time modeling so hair restoration has even more significance for me than just aesthetic value) Basically, I just wanted to learn other people's experiences post op and inquire whether they had a large amount of loss following HT surgery. I also wanted to inquire about Propecia and how long it takes to work.

This site has been wonderful and has been a wonderful resource in getting quality information on hair loss and options.

By the way, I had my procedure done by Dr. Charles in Boca and he was great. Hopefully I can get some pictures to post as soon as possible.

Cheers!