40 Days Post Op w/Pistone (Pictures) - Update

Pictures: http://web.mac.com/chrisd7/iWeb/Site/FUHT%20-%2040%20Days.html

Hello again, everyone!

I'm now 40 days post-op with Dr. Pistone and have been on Propecia for 32 days (prior to that I was on Procerin for a while). Most of my transplanted hairs have fallen off, or so I think. I've had quick and what seems like good healing of the donor area (I'm back at lifting weights like usual, with the exception of the more violent power-lifts) and shock-loss seems to have ceased and it never really got that intense.

Hopefully I'm in the clear and from here on out I just wait for new growth, Propecia to kick in, and results will be here before I know it. HOPEFULLY.

I notice little black hairs, but I'm not sure if they're just small transplanted ones or if they are the beginnings of new growth.

I will put some pictures up soon, as I am over one month since the surgery, I figure that a month by month picture update might be a good idea.

Thanks for the information and continued support,

Chris

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

Pictures: http://web.mac.com/chrisd7/iWeb/Site/FUHT%20-%2040%20Days.html

Hello again, everyone!

I'm now 40 days post-op with Dr. Pistone and have been on Propecia for 32 days (prior to that I was on Procerin for a while). Most of my transplanted hairs have fallen off, or so I think. I've had quick and what seems like good healing of the donor area (I'm back at lifting weights like usual, with the exception of the more violent power-lifts) and shock-loss seems to have ceased and it never really got that intense.

Hopefully I'm in the clear and from here on out I just wait for new growth, Propecia to kick in, and results will be here before I know it. HOPEFULLY.

I notice little black hairs, but I'm not sure if they're just small transplanted ones or if they are the beginnings of new growth.

I will put some pictures up soon, as I am over one month since the surgery, I figure that a month by month picture update might be a good idea.

Thanks for the information and continued support,

Chris

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Everything looking normal?

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Everything seems to be Ok to me.

I am 28 days post op and started lifting weights today. My HT was done using M&M technique. All mini grafts are already shed. But most of the micro grafts are still there. They have been growing non-stop starting from day 2 post op. They are thick and doubled their length after HT. Am I supposed to shed them already or still I have time?

Thanks - Jags

Ravi Vide

Looks like you've healed up nicely and should start start experiencing some growth pretty soon. Hang in there and keep us updated. I'm about 10 days behind you from my 2nd HT...............waiting for the results is a real pain! Wish those little guys would start sprouting quicker. icon_biggrin.gif

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thanks for the replies, everything sounds positive. Good luck to all of you too! It'd be great if this all turned out really well, so far everything seems to be in-line, which is reassuring me that my decision was a good one.

PS - my hair looks much better in real life compared to those pics, which were taken just after the gym. Once I got out of the shower I was thinking of taking new shots, cause it looked THAT much better. haha

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

This bothers me a little bit...I feel like my density may not be as good as say, Damo's...

after_hair_transplant_procedure_sml.jpg

IMG_3970.jpg

Whaddyathink? Will my density be okay?

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

I observed it at the beginning. Your incisions are not very close to each other. But also not much far apart. The doctor would have saved your donor hairs for future.

You can know how dense you will get by calculating the number of grafts per square centemeter. After applying oil just place a thin white paper of 1 square centemeter on the grafts area. You can count the number of grafts. If they are between 35 to 40 you will get full dense. If they are somewhere between 20 to 30 you will not get dense but you can avoid the see through look by combing the hair to front or sides. If they are less than 15 then I don't think the scalp can be hidden.

It is also useless to have more hair than 40. Because 40 looks same as 90.

You are better when compared to my case. Mine are totally far apart. icon_frown.gif But mine are micro and mini grafts. So I have to wait for the results to see how it looks.

Guys, correct me if I am wrong.

Ravi Vide

While you may be right, maybe my hair type allows for the spacing?

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

dhuge67,

I wouldn't stress out about it.............just give it a little time and see how it turns out. IF....you want to thicken later if/when you have further loss you can. IMO from the amount you had placed in the area shown you're going to have decent coverage............it really wasn't too big an area.

Take a look at my before and after pics from 1st HT........I only had around 1200 grafts "filled in" around existing hair in the front and they even put a few in the mid-scalp and sides. I had a fair amount of shock loss and I suspect many that did not return so I'd say 75% of what remained on top was HT hair (Dr. Wong confirmed this during my 2nd procedure). From the front I look like I have pretty thick hair. Now, if someone looks down from the top.......maybe a little thin but not bad.

Jagdish had a good tip for you if you care to measure it out. Anything around the 40-45 plus range per cm2 should give you dense coverage. For reference, look at the incisions from my 2nd HT on the crown.......Dr. Wong was going for 45-50 cm2 and the "little red dots" are pretty clear.

As far as the type of hair allowing for more spacing, I doubt it. I believe the only instance in which this is the case would be someone with very wavy or curly hair.

Hang in there......I'll bet you'll be pleased with the results.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• Administrators

DHuge,

Thanks for the update. It does look like you're healing up just fine. Given that you got standard follicular unit grafting rather than dense packed ultra refined follicular units you will probally need to consider doing a second session in between your new hair transplanted hair once it grows in to get you the density you will probally want.

I know this was true for me years ago when I did my first hair transplant in the early days back when follicular unit grafting was catching on but not yet able to provide one pass density.

But I expect that you will see good growth given that Dr. Pistone probally does good solid standard follicular unit grafting.

Keep us posted on how things grow in for you.

Best wishes for a bumper crop in 3 months.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Are you saying that the following is a lie?

He is one of a handful of doctors in the entire country utilizing the very latest techniques in Stereo-Microscopic Hair Transplantation ??“ a revolutionary procedure. Dr. Pistone is one of the few surgeons in the world who is double board-certified in both Surgical Hair Restoration and Dermatology. He is one of only 40 surgeons worldwide recognized by the International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons for professional and ethical excellence. Dr. Pistone's name and reputation are synonymous with experience, skill, artistry and ethics. All of Dr. Pistone's patients benefit from the latest hair transplant technology, including shorter recovery time and safer solutions for permanent healthy hair.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dhuge,

I think Dr. Pistone did not do dense pack because it does not suits to you. You are a special case do you remember? Your hairloss started at very early stage and it is necessary to save your donor hair for future use. I suggest you to not to go for dense packs. It will look very odd having dense packs at temples and having bald in crown. You will see lot of hair loss in future and you will definitely go for 2 to 3 more HTs. So, It is better to start saving money and donor hairs from now onwards.

Also please forget about future hair loss for now. It is not going to occur very soon.

Thanks,

Jagdish

Ravi Vide

• Administrators

Dhuge,

Settle down. Despite what ever clubs he may belong to I believe he is doing standard follicular units, like some of the surgeons who are recommended on the Hair Transplant Network but who have not progressed to doing large ultra refined sessions that enable dense packing when appropriate.

Personally my hair transplants that were done several years ago were standard follicular unit grafting. Am I happy with them - absolutely. But if I went to Dr. Shapiro today I know I would achieve greater density in less sessions along with quicker healing.

Standard follicular unit work performed by a quality clinic using microscopes is just fine. But for those who want to obtain maximun density and coverage in a minimal amount of sessions, in my opinion, they should consider physicians like Drs. Hasson and Wong, Shapiro, Konior, Cooley, etc. who have this capability.

I'm sure you will do just fine. But you may need to do another pass to get the density you may ultimately want.

Best wishes, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Thanks Pat, I just think that there is an unwillingness to admit the ability of surgeons that are not in your coalition, which you undoubtedly plug for your own benefit. That's my struggle with this place, there is useful information but you have to sift through a lot of advertising and sale-pushing to find the right stuff.

By the way, I'd have a hard time believing that I could have healed any faster. I was lifting and running at 2 weeks post op.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Originally posted by dhuge67:

Thanks Pat, I just think that there is an unwillingness to admit the ability of surgeons that are not in your coalition, which you undoubtedly plug for your own benefit. That's my struggle with this place, there is useful information but you have to sift through a lot of advertising and sale-pushing to find the right stuff.

dhuge67,

Wow......I have to disagree with your assessment of this site. For me, it has provided very valuable and unbiased information. Any covert posters or "sale-pushers" as you have mentioned IMO have been bumped off the site by our former moderator (Robert) or Pat.

As for positives about the Coalition Surgeons.......most seem to come from satisfied patients who share their stories and photos. So, to an extent, we can all judge for ourselves based on the finished product. I commend Pat for taking the time to personally visit their clinics and inspect the type and quality of work being performed. I think it has been shown on this site in recent past that coalition members are held accountable for their work or they're not recommended here..........despite whether or not they support this site.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Pat "takes his time to visit the clinics" but how does he make his living?

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Why is it grown men interpret the littlest things as criticism and freak out and react in a harsh negative manner. A real man (emotionally healthy) can take criticism in ANY form and not react negatively. DHuge interpreted Pat's comments as criticism of his decision on surgeons and is peeing in his pants about it. Let's not waste time trying to placate him guys. He wants to poke someone in they eye and will not be happy until he feels he has done so; so let's not waste time nor energy here. Anyone with even half a brain knows what this forum is all about and the unbiased, objective info and assistance it provides. Period. Through hard work, dedication, and a genuine concern for everyone involved who may be considering a HT, Pat has put together the absolute end all of information, idea/question/opinion exchange, etc. This site truly informs people what the latest standards are and who is providing them. So let the little fella whose feelings got hurt poke a little and let's be done.

I dont understand why people have a problem with Pat, if makes money from this website. If you serve a purpose and help people you should get paid, if you serve a lot of people and help a lot of people you should get paid a lot!! If this site was being run by someone who didnt make any money and had no incentive to manage it, it would suck!!! I am a realestate agent and make big commisions, but i get paid for my service and am still ethical. I hope pat gets rich off this site!!!! he has helped a lot of people.

dhuge67 , Also I remeber you had your mind made up to use your doc, regaurdless what people had to say about it.

Now you are attacking this community after asking for people opinions, you are so defensive about it almost like your dating him.....

This conversation seems to come back up almost like clockwork. I can almost sense it coming kind of like you can sense when it is about to rain.

Of course Pat has made it his career choice to help other hair loss sufferers (like himself) to find great physicians that, without his recommendation, they may have not known existed. Yes, he makes a living from doing this full-time. I cannot fathom where someone would see a crime in that.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Interesting, because surgeons pay to be in the coalition. I don't hear of many surgeons outside of the ones that this site endorses being talked about, and it's obvious as to why.

To tell me that I am whining or to insinuate that I am stupid is ridiculous and only reflects poorly on whoever says so.

This is like ANYTHING else, you have to be careful and you have to be objective and open minded. I think it's too easy and too dangerous to be complacent in the way you think about where and how you are getting information.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

You are correct Dhuge, it is never good to become complacent. So some reaonable doubt is good. But at the same time you need to have some reasonable doubt about a doctor's web site and what he says about himself. Fair enough?

In all honesty, It looks like you received something short of 20 grafts/cm2. You will not look like Damo with that many grafts. But, they appear to be well placed and will probably give you some decent coverage.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery