Gynecomastia Surgery

celtic67

Hi,

I had gyno surgery (breast tissue/gland removed) approx 3 weeks ago. Over the last 3 -4 years I have been using Finasteride (in the form of Propecia & Proscar)intermittently. I had Gyno since puberty so I don't if and how much Finasteride contributed to the Gyno.

Is it possible to go back on Propecia after surgery or will the Gyno return. I read somewhere that someone takes 1mg on a 3 day cycle to reduce the side affects as the Finasteride stays in your system for 3 days.

If this is not an option are their any herbal treatments to take that may help maintain or slow down the thinning?

Hi,

I had gyno surgery (breast tissue/gland removed) approx 3 weeks ago. Over the last 3 -4 years I have been using Finasteride (in the form of Propecia & Proscar)intermittently. I had Gyno since puberty so I don't if and how much Finasteride contributed to the Gyno.

Is it possible to go back on Propecia after surgery or will the Gyno return. I read somewhere that someone takes 1mg on a 3 day cycle to reduce the side affects as the Finasteride stays in your system for 3 days.

If this is not an option are their any herbal treatments to take that may help maintain or slow down the thinning?

celtic67,

Welcome to our community.

This definitely sounds like a good question to ask your medical doctor since there are obviously other medical conditions involved.

Though there is some scientific evidence to suggest that some herbal remedies work - unfortunately there is no public evidence of their efficacy to date.

You may also want to consider minoxodil in the thinning areas - the other FDA approved medical treatment for hair loss.

Bill

Hi,

In relation to the Propecia and gyno surgery I know the surgeon advises that people stop taking Propecia(which I used intermittently over the last few years) after the surgery. Would my GP be able to tell me whether using finasteride would cause gyno to return?

I am 32 now and my hair has been thinning for 10 years, it has thinned from the back to just before the front where it is still nice and thick. I don't have a what you would call a bald spot I still have hair all over but thin.

I am considering going down the route of using Nizoral shampoo with a natural product Like Nourkrin or Zinc & Vit B Supplements. Do you have any suggestions?

Is Minoxidil suitable for a large area of thinning?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I am in the process of finding a suitable surgeon to remove my gyno right now as well.

From the research I have done, and the surgeon I met with; Propecia cannot cause a resurgence of gyno once the gland is gone. The gland grew in the first place because testosterone in your body had aromatized into estrogen. It was the excess estrogen that caused the gyno, but with the gland now gone, it obviously cannot grow. Apparently, a very small amount of tissue is left behind to prevent the nipples from being inverted, so if there is any risk, it would be from that.

If you would'nt mind, I would be interested in knowing a few details about your gyno sugery, such as the name of the doctor, the cost, and most importantly, are you happy with the results/scars etc. I was not satisfied with the surgeon I had met, and so am still looking for one.

Thanks