HONESTLY, Return to Work after two weeks??

This subject has been covered here before. It is different for everyone, I realize.

Doctors say you can return earlier and so do some on this forum, but can you REALLY return to work after two weeks without it being super noticeable? I know there will be some redness and grow your hair out to cover the scar. I have read that and spoken to people about it. I want your personal stories and what you went through!

I realize things will look different, but can one get away with it realistically after two weeks?

Let me give you my scenario. I work in an office setting with a decent amount of colleague interaction. I am planning on a 4000+ procedure, can take two weeks off, no hats to be worn in the office. My coloring is blonde hair and tanned skin (still sunny here in Chicago!).

Can I REALLY go back to work two weeks later without people going, what happened to you?? Again doctors say yes, but the more I talk to people the more I am not buying it.

Thoughts, experiences??

Thanks,

Eman

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

This subject has been covered here before. It is different for everyone, I realize.

Doctors say you can return earlier and so do some on this forum, but can you REALLY return to work after two weeks without it being super noticeable? I know there will be some redness and grow your hair out to cover the scar. I have read that and spoken to people about it. I want your personal stories and what you went through!

I realize things will look different, but can one get away with it realistically after two weeks?

Let me give you my scenario. I work in an office setting with a decent amount of colleague interaction. I am planning on a 4000+ procedure, can take two weeks off, no hats to be worn in the office. My coloring is blonde hair and tanned skin (still sunny here in Chicago!).

Can I REALLY go back to work two weeks later without people going, what happened to you?? Again doctors say yes, but the more I talk to people the more I am not buying it.

Thoughts, experiences??

Thanks,

Eman

My initial HT thread:

Eman,

At 2 weeks post op after such a large session you will not look completely normal. Sure there are ways to help "cover up" or "mask" a hair transplant - but there are so many variables that will impact this.

What I did personally was cut my hair very short about 2 weeks before my hair transplant to get people used to the fact that I had a very short hair cut.

When I returned to work, I came in with my entire head shaved with a 1 clip (yes the scar was evident). But it was either that or coming in looking like Bozo the Clown since my recipient area was shaved.

I also recommend reading the following: When will I look "Normal" After a hair transplant?.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks guys!!

I am really beginning to think that the only time that I will be able to have a HT is with a sabbatical or if a job change is going to happen icon_frown.gif.

I just know that I will need more time than two weeks to pull this off. I wish I could wear a hat or somehow work off hours or work from home. I guess I could ask. Not sure what the reaction would be from the boss-- I am sure not favorable.

I am not a person that needs instant gratification, but this is one instance that instant gratification would be AWESOME!!

Eman

My initial HT thread:

Eman

I have had 3 procedures without anyone knowing.. Granted, I did not have to shave my head BUT here is wha I recommend.

1 - keep your donor area a bit longer to cover the scar

2 - Use coverup to conceal the HT (Dermatch)

3 - Do not shave your head if possible. You can cover a bit with the native hair

By two weeks the scabs should be gone so you can cover it up with concealer.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Eman,

What we need to know before answering the question is:

What is your NW status?

Do you have enough or could your native hair be styled to help give cover during the few weeks after?

Are you getting buzzed in the recipient area?

I would agree with MRJB, it is possible but if you are NW5-6 it would be hard. Who is your doc and can you get around shaving down?

I concealed my HTs as well, but I can wear a hat when I like. Nice to be my own boss.

Another idea?? Use a two week vacation and when that is up, suddenly come down with a illness which causes a rash on the skin - take a few more days off and explain away any redness due to this "infection". Or, say nothing unless someone asks, most will not and not know what is up.

NoBuzz

I just had a surgery early last week, and had expected to be at work looking peachy within a week icon_smile.gif

Well, given that my head isn't looking any more handsome than a sizeable watermelon at this stage, I told my boss I'd be telecommuting this whole week (and the next one if required)

2-day session with Dr. Keene.

1's: 297; 2's: 1186; 3's: 1382; 4's: 999

Total grafts : 3864

Averaging 2.85 hairs/graft. Total hairs: ~11000.

I managed to do what you are looking at trying. My HT was 3700 strip surgery. I didn't trim the hair prior to but did have the HT office do a trim for me when I went back the next day for a checkup and wash. They cut the hair so the scar was covered ( including staples) and balanced things up so that it looked like a much shorter cut than normal. I stayed away from the office for approx 12 days and then walked in like there was nothing to hide. I mostly rec'd comments about the new due - mainly compliments - and joked first about having to do something different when there is not much to work with or making sure I was getting my monies worth from a haircut. I did have one person that took more of an interest but I just told him I was on a prostate drug that has had some effect ( not a lie!). Anyway, after a few strange looks life went on and as far as I know everyone just sees me as before. The only coments I get now from people ( at 6 mos on) are usually that I look like I have lost weight or working out more. Most people know there is a difference but can't put their finger on it.The changes are gradual so its easy to just carry on life normally ( wearing a hat will not work as people wonder what the hell you're doing wearing it indoors)

Go with the right haircut, use some humour and above all the right attitude and you have a decent chance of pulling it off

I just don't get what the big deal is with people knowing. Who gives a rats ass? Do you realize you're going to be dead in a few years. Dead. No more. No more fresh air, sunshine, rain, arguments, sex, love, pain, joy, books, music.....nothing. Just a rotting piece of animal flesh who no longer exists in any way, shape, or form. So seriously, relax and just enjoy it. You'll get through the rough few days and it will only be a memory. People will forget all about it. They have lives to get on with and are way to busy to be concerned for more than 10 minutes about your hair transplant. Remember: you're in the box looking out; everyone else is outside looking in. Completely different view brother. They don't/won't care. And if they do care in any negative sense, is that someone whose opinion you value? Probably not. And don't use the old "easier said than done" excuse. That is WAY over used and abused. Just stand tall, make no excuses, and push through it. Just as easy done as said.

Nobuzz-

I am a NW 4a and yes the area will be buzzed. The area I will have transplanted the front 2/3's and nothing really in the front third, so nothing there to cover-up. I have also thought about asking about working from home during this time, but my job requires client/colleague interaction. Maybe I can work something out with my boss, I just need to figure out how to approach the topic (fabricated one of course).

Furless- do you think you will be ok to go in to work next week? You have about the number I am estimated on getting.

Thedodger- That is good to know. You were able to go in after two weeks without it being TOO noticeable? Who was your doctor and do you have any pics?

Thanks,

Eman

My initial HT thread:

Eman,

HT was performed by Dr Hasson. Still working on getting some pics.

When I say not "too" noticeable, I was fortunate there was very little redness and my hair nicely covered the doner area. I also had virtually no shockloss. However, the hairstyle change was a bit dramatic as I was wearing it a bit longer prior to. I was ready to discuss actually having an HT if anyone asked...but no one did so I decided not to down that road. I obviously had made a change to my hairstyle and thats where the conversation seemed to end. The only funny comment was that my hair looked darker ( the transplanted areas) and some figured I was dying it. In the end it was a lesson that I paid way more attention to the hair I did (or did not have) than people around me.

I wouldn't let what people think hold you back.

dodge

thedodger,

Thank you for your response.

I am beginning to see a trend in what people have said and that is most people do not notice or pay attention to these kinds of things. We are our own worst critics and can pinpoint each and every flaw about ourselves, while others do not even notice.

As I sit here wanting to pull the trigger on having a HT, the stress and the worry about the initial post-op "look" is really holding me back from going for it. Maybe I just need to take the attitude of apathy--not caring at all what anyone thinks at work.

-the stuck between a rock and a hard place cliche comes to mind right now!?!

My initial HT thread:

I am currently wearing a baseball cap. I told co-workers that I was wearing a visor and got a bad sunburn.I had to cut some of the front hairs in order to put the aloe vera gel on the skin. The redness in my front third does look like I was wearing a visor on.

Well that is my story and I am sticking too it!!!.

Eman,

I am in the same boat as you are. I really want to get some work done but can't seem to get past the probability of someone at work noticing. I know, I shouldn't care what everyone thinks, but I do. I work around a bunch of shallow women who can't help but point out the physical flaws of everone they come across. I don't want to give them any more ammunition to gossip with.

sucks doesn't it tb25!!

well, I am beginning to think that two weeks away is not enough. Not sure how I will pull it off (keep it a secret from work) in that short amount of time, so I need to weigh options (medical leave, sabbatical, or something like that.

Friends of mine will clearly notice and so I will tell them, so I am not worried about that. I do a lot of physical activities with them on a regular basis (basketball, volleyball, softball, racquetball, the beach, gym, bars (ok-this one is not a physical activity icon_wink.gif), etc.) so they would notice my absence and clearly notice the change when I would come back.

Again it is the whole work thing!! And it bothers me because I do want to do this--just want to be discreet about it.

Eman

My initial HT thread:

Most people are fine a week after. Me, I looked like crap for a month or more. But so what? I wore a hat. Besides, once the hair grows out nobody'll remember what you used to look like.

And 7 months later, the difference is noticeable:

725.jpg

4 years older in the pic on the right, by the way. Scary how much difference a HT makes.

Originally posted by blowdry:

You can grow a beard when your out having a HT. Funny thing is that people noticed the beard and not the baseball cap when you come back to work.....LOL

You're right - I forgot about the goatee addition. I hadn't had facial hair in a while and started one right after the surgery. Kept it for a couple of months which was a bit of a pain to keep it neat. Lots of people mentioned the beard but not the hair. I think it must draw the eyes downward or maybe I just scared the hell out of everyone with the extra hair additions going on icon_smile.gif

Younguy,

I haven't seen you on the forums for awhile.

Huge improvement my friend! I remember seeing these pictures some time ago, but it's a nice reminder of what hair transplantation can do for a person's image. You look much younger in the after picture even though you are 4 years older! Congrats!

Bill

Hello,

Forgive me if I missed this...can you wear a hat to work without getting the evil eye from your boss/customers? If so...no worries about returning to work after 2 weeks.

I wore the hat until, I think, the 4th month...I had told people at work why; no one particularly cared. That said, I was not involved in meetings with customers or clients or others I would be in a position to want to impress, and also had a business-casual dress code.

Benjamin