Good Scalp Laxity - What Does it Really Mean

Hi,

How much of a factor is scalp laxity when considering a hair transplant?

It comes into play while harvesting the grafts correct? So the better the laxity the more the number of grafts extracted in a particular session, right?

But what confuses me, is if we have a finite number of grafts that can be used, what difference does the laxity really make? I mean 2 guys with the same hair characteristic and similar donor, will ultimately have the same number of grafts extracted right? However if one of the individuals has better mobility, he would for one given session be able to have more grafts harvested, right? Is that basically how it comes into play?

thanks

Hi,

How much of a factor is scalp laxity when considering a hair transplant?

It comes into play while harvesting the grafts correct? So the better the laxity the more the number of grafts extracted in a particular session, right?

But what confuses me, is if we have a finite number of grafts that can be used, what difference does the laxity really make? I mean 2 guys with the same hair characteristic and similar donor, will ultimately have the same number of grafts extracted right? However if one of the individuals has better mobility, he would for one given session be able to have more grafts harvested, right? Is that basically how it comes into play?

thanks

Your laxity and what impact it has on your procedure depends on how many grafts you are trying to get. In other words, if you are hoping for as many grafts as possible then laxity plays a key role. If you are only needing 2000 grafts to the hairline then no so much as most anyone can get 2000 grafts without scalp exercises if they go to a competent doctor.

Regarding your example, if two guys have the same characteristics and ultimately receive the same number of grafts over multiple sessions then the one that performed scalp exercises will have accomplished the final goal with fewer sessions so yes, you are correct.

In addition, increased scalp laxity can help with the post-operative comfort. The less tension you have even for a smaller session the less tension you will feel after the procedure.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks for the response. So it really factors in on how many session you will ultimately require, right? As silly as this may sound (I have to ask it), better scalp laxity will obviously not give you grafts you do not have to begin with, right? It will only allow one to obtain more grafts per session?