New to the board; need help with Dermatch

Hey folks,

I'm new to the board. I stumbled upon it after looking for info of any kind on Dermatch. After viewing some of the responses and seeing/reading how convinced some board members here were about the product, I went ahead and bought it.

After recieving it, I was eager to try it out and see what it could do. I've been using Toppik for years with great results, but like others, I agree that it can get messy and dull looking.

So now I'm looking for some hints on how to properly use Dermatch. I tried applying it once, and it was a monumental mess. I was left unimpressed as it just looked really fake to me (too dark).

Question?

Do some Dermatch users just apply it dry onto the scalp?

Should you use it after getting out of the shower (wet scalp)? This was the technique I used, I also wet the applicator.

Thanks for your help.

Fillyboi,

Though I personally didn't feel that dermatch looked authentic on me, I know a number of members that really love the stuff. Same with toppik (though I never tried this one).

In my experience, it is easier to apply after you dry your hair nicely out of the shower (though naturally it's still a little damp). Wet the applicator, apply the dermatch to it and apply. Sometimes less is more! It also takes a lot of practice to get it right.

Dermatch also does not look natural until after it dries. So before evaluating it, make sure you let it dry or help it by using a cool setting on a hair dryer (my fan worked just nicely) and then brush your hair again to see how it looks.

Personally, I loved the styling properties, but just couldn't quite get the hairline right and the crown was didn't have a lot of hair at the time (now I have more hair there because of my third hair transplant) so my crown looked a bit fake.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Bill,

I appreciate your response. Thanks for the advice, I may give it another try. I'm asian/irish with black hair and fair skin. When I applied the Dermatch the first time it was very fake looking.

I'll give it another shot.

Fillyboi,

I will say that the more I practiced with it, the better that it looked, but to me, it still didn't look quite right. But I have never been patient with these types of things.

You may also want to check out this forum thread. Forum member Robert demonstrates with pictures applying dermatch and shows what his hair looks like before and after.

Bill

repo,

I'm not really sure, and for it to "work" is relative. I saw a guy in the mall who turned out to have very little hair (also worn very short), but when I saw him from the front, he had the illusion of a full head of hair. It was only when he turned sideways that I noticed that he had a "painted scalp" - probably with dermatch. I could tell because there was no hair sticking up, yet there was a dark tint on his head. The crown also didn't look so good.

So, technically, it worked for him, but not very well from the side view.

I think the best thing to do is experiment with it and see if you feel it looks natural.

I would also say that it probably works best when there is at least some hair in each given area, and is long enough for at least some feathering effect.

Bill

• 1 month later...

I just started dermatch and have been happy with the results.So far i've found that I get the best results if I apply with a damp applicator and then brush it through.I then wet my hands and then run them over my head to take away any of the excess.This brings my natural hair color back.I brush again and then hair spray