Propecia every two days question????

tkerr22

I have been on propecia for a few years now and it seems to have halted or slowed down hair loss, not really regrown any but am fine if it keeps my hair at it's current stage. The question I have is can I take it every two days instead of one and still do the same job? I have heard of some people saying this is true. Please give me your experiences with doing it this way and if you've heard of any docs recommending this. Would like to save some money and have some anxiety from time to time, not sure if this is from the propecia but it wouldn't hurt if I could cut down on it a little. Any feedback from you guys would be great!!

thanks

I have been on propecia for a few years now and it seems to have halted or slowed down hair loss, not really regrown any but am fine if it keeps my hair at it's current stage. The question I have is can I take it every two days instead of one and still do the same job? I have heard of some people saying this is true. Please give me your experiences with doing it this way and if you've heard of any docs recommending this. Would like to save some money and have some anxiety from time to time, not sure if this is from the propecia but it wouldn't hurt if I could cut down on it a little. Any feedback from you guys would be great!!

thanks

I have heard of several physicians recommending that patients just starting Propecia take it EOD for a few months since research tells that, at first at least, doses as low as .02 mg can be as effective as the recommended 1 mg dose. Of course, after time the body builds a resistance to the medication and so the dose needs to be increased to 1 mg/ per day.

That said, I don't think it would be wise for someone already taking Propecia for several years to step down. Your body has already started building a resistance to the drug and I think you would start to see your maintenance slipping after a short while. Of course, this is my non-medical professional icon_wink.gif opinion.

I wouldn't risk it. Have you tried Proscar? That would be a cheaper route. You could actually split a 5 mg Proscar into quarters at 1.25 mg per dose and come ut saving money. When I did this I got 10 Proscar every 40 days from CVS for about $33. Worked like a charm.

If you are adamant about decreasing your dose I would seriously consider talking to your doc about it. I could be wrong, but I really think you would be putting yourself in the position to lose some ground.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Robert have you got any thoughts about the long term effects of Avodart and whether or not if your body builds a resistance to Avodart that you have no other (more effective) medication left to move to?

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

With my very aggressive hair loss I was willing to risk the possible increased risk of side effects with Avodart. This was a personal decision and I don't think anyone else should make a decision based on mine.

With the amount of Type I and Type II DHT that .5 mg of Avodart suppresses, it would take the body a long time to build a resistance to the medication that would compromise its efficacy. A LONG time. I'm not too worried about that since I have only been on the drug for a year and a half.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

tkerr22,

I'd side with Robert on this and stay with your daily regimen, or get some professional advice...........though I do take Finasteride every other day (Proscar quartered). I was advised to go with the EOD regimen by Dr. Wong after my 2nd HT. This is due to the fact that Finasteride actively inhibits DHT in the body for a period of 72 hours. I wasn't taking Finasteride until starting with this regimen.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.