Good surgeon in Missouri?

• 3 years later...

I'm two weeks out from a 1,100 graft job by Dr. Lawrence Samuels of St.Louis. As this is my first time, don't have much to compare it to......he seems competent, but his assistants seemed to do much of the work. I'll keep you updated and provide more info in a day or so...

BTW, his website is: stlouishair.com

• 4 months later...

My first HT was with Dr. Charles and I think he did a good job with graft placement, however, I don't think the donor scar closure was the best.

Depends on your needs...........I was a NW5 and could have used "tons" more grafts in one session. This is really my own fault for not going in with realistic expectations but I was told during the consult that most people don't come back a second time. I guess for those who are okay with a bald crown that's the case......I wasn't.

If you only need 1000 or so grafts he'll do good work for you. If you need more, I'd go with someone that may be able to accomplish this for you in 1 session. Mega Sessions of over 3000 are commonplace now, and, if conditions are optimum, 5000 or more can be harvested.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Desperate for help, please, please, please, do your homework before you decide on a physician. Women in general are different cases, simply because their pattern of baldness is difficult to target at times. In addition, by virtue of your being African American, you need to be able to see DOZENS of African American before and after photos and maybe a few in person before making a choice. Also, do not limit yourself geographically when considering this, as you need a great doctor to address your concerns. I hope this helps, feel free to PM if you want.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I've asked tons of AA's if they knew anybody who ever had a hair transplant and noone can refer me to anybody. I've looked on the internet but the scope of the transplants in minimal- usually putting graphs around the women's edges were they pulled their hair out with braids or ponytails. Everyone keeps saying how they went to several consultations however this seems like it would get very expensive and require calling off from work alot. I don't know, do transplant offices be open on the weekend? Does anyone know? There is only one other HT in St. Louis called PAI and I can find out very little about them. Every where else is pretty far.