Non-Coalition surgeons

ogph

Hi,

Does any one have positive,good experiences from any non-coalition surgeons.

I am considering some repair work and just wanted to learn about all the doctors out there.

Thanks & regards

Hi,

Does any one have positive,good experiences from any non-coalition surgeons.

I am considering some repair work and just wanted to learn about all the doctors out there.

Thanks & regards

There are plenty of doctors on this forum, take your time and read through the 'Hair Transplant Experiences and Surgeon reviews'. You should also check out the Patient gallery for results. Ultimately though the best way to find about a doctor is to consult with them in person.

I have to ask though, why would you specifically be looking outside the coalition for a doc?

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Hi,

I wasnt specifically looking for doctors outside the coalition, was just curious about other doctors out there. Just trying to learn as much as I can.

Unfortunately I wont be able to do an in person consult.Everything will have to be done on line and when I finally do (if) get out to the US, it would be for the repair job.

I guess I am just looking for people's opinions who have had experience with repair jobs and are there surgeons within or out of the coalition that specialize in this.

I am trying to narrow down to doctors that do FUE/FIT so I can start the online consulatation process.

Jake, do you have any reccomendations ? Kinda confused and dont know where to begin.

Thanks.

Hi ogph,

I am also in that position where I am located in the UK and looking for the best doctor in the US for my HT. Believe it or not repair work is also very common as many people have had bad HT's in the past. The best advice I would give is to consult with the leading doctors in the world (which would mean in the US/Canada).

Firstly I would recommend that you look at the repair work that is on showcase at http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Share-info/hairloss-photos.asp?ToS=repair

If you are in the UK I would recommend talking and even meeting with spex (http://www.hair-help.co.uk/) he is extremely knowledgeable and has helped and provided invaluable advice to many people considering a HT. Dr Feller did his last HT and fixed his previous bad HT from Bosley.

After researching this forum thoroughly and looking at many before and after pictures my opinion as to the best doctors in the world are (in no particular order): Shapiro Medical Group (Dr Ron Shapiro, Dr Rose and Dr Keene) Hanson & Wong, Dr Feller, Dr Epstein, Dr Cooley, Dr Konior, Dr Bernstein and Dr Charles. If you decide on either of the above you can be guaranteed to get the best results possible. I have personally decided on Ron Shapiro to do my hairline but I have not had mine yet so I cannot comment from personal experience.

Good Luck!

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the info and advice. I am assuming you are completely finished with the online consultation process ? How did that go ? How many grafts do you think yoou need, is it for repair ?

I unfortunately dont live in UK; live in Asia.

Thanks.

Hi ogph,

Yeah Im finished with my online consults and my HT is only 1 1/2 weeks away. From Asia it sounds like a very long trip. Unfortunately though the best HT surgeons are located in the US/Canada. I believe choosing anyone outside the cooalition would be a risk. Especially for repair work the last thing you need is another bad HT and more repair work.

The online consultations are very easy, you just send in your photos and they will arrange a phone consult to discuss your HT plan. Different surgeons will have different plans and the graft counts they suggest will vary, mine varied from 1200 - 2500 grafts.

SMG only suggested 1200 grafts to only fill in some of the receeded area and decided not to increase density in my thinning areas at this time. I ended up going with them because I need to get my hairline done and they are known to be the best in the world for hairlines. They also do superb repair work so I would recommend that you include them in your consultations as well.

Good luck with your finding the best surgeon to do your HT. Make sure you do your research on this forum and don't be afraid to ask any questions! I would recommend that you start a new thread asking for advice on the best surgeons who does repair work.

Just because particular Dr's arn't in the coalition doesn't mean they aren't worth seeing. I'm seeing Dr Feller for my surgery and he's regarded as one of the best guys, yet he is not in the coalition.

Martin,

Yes, just because a particular doctor is not in the Coalition, does not mean that they are not good surgeons. However, when just starting out, those who are not educated in this field need to understand the difference of doctors joining a community that critiques results, and the doctors who do not. A Dr. like Feller for instance, is still very actively followed here, so many are familiar with his fine work. I understand your point, but I think the better view is why not actively search proven clinics who have opened their doors with technology and results, FIRST? Because we only get 2 or 3 shots at this it is imperative that we find the best doctors period.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I got my HT in Asia (Thailand) and for me money wasn't really an issue, and after 3 months it's starting to come in and looks to be very natural and exactly what I wanted. Even though there are obviously very good Dr's in USA I wouldn't say it is the only place where you can get a top of the line HT. And you are paying double in the USA.

Thanks you guys for the suggestions. I was just curious about drs. like Feller and others that might not be in the coalition.

Brian, do tou have nay pics ? Thailand is oly 2 hours away from me - would love to hear about your experience there. Do they do FUE and do the ultra refined follicular unit I have been reading anout ?

Jake, good luck mate please do share more when you get it done. I have started writing to a couple of Dr's and I am waiting for the feedback.

SInce I have had it done once (badly) already I figure I have 2 more shots. I am afraid of losing more hair and exposing the M&M;s from previous surgery so trying to prempt hat situationn.

I have yet so much to learn about proepcia, transection rates and so forth.

I think I will start another thread on repair work, it would be great to hear people's opinion on that especially the ones that have gone thorugh it.

Martin I agree, which is why I wanted to read about other surgeons. After going through several sites, I have found names like shapiro, cooley et al being repeated over & over - must be something to that.

I am sure there are others out there but there is very little info avaialbe on them.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

No pics yet as its starting to come in and is not really cosmetically noticeable.Im basically back to where I was pre-op. I went to Dr Pathomvanich who does only Follicular units and also does tricho closure of the donor area.He has a website which is outdated for some reason. He is very popular and you would need to book in advance a couple of months.

Im now 16 weeks and the hairs are coming in soft and natural, I cant really tell which hairs are from the HT and which hairs are from before.

I also take finasteride 1mg daily and use 5% minoxidil topical at night before bed.

Dr Path charges about $2-3 per fu. He is regarded as the best in Asia. IMHO that would be the case.

• Administrators

I'd like to clarify why the members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians are required to meet a higher standard than those physicians who are recommended by area on Hair Transplant Network:

In my opinion hair transplantation has gone through an important evolution in the past few years from the standard follicular unit grafting to todays - Ultra Refined Follicular Unit Hair Transplantation.

While both standard follicular unit and ultra refined grafting can ultimately give the patient a great result, the ultra refined and very large high density session enable a patient to get to their goal faster in fewer surgeries. Therefore patients who are candidates for large high density sessions deserve to know which clinics have developed the capability to provide such sessions.

Thus only those physicians/clinics that have developed the capability of providing very large and high density sessions are invited to join the Coalition.

Virtually all physicians who met these higher and more demanding standards joined the Coalition.

Thus while the Coalition is not a definitive list of ALL the clinics capable of providing ultra refined grafting, it does include the majority of them - with a member clinic available in almost all regions of North America.

Some patients may not require a large session of dense packed follicular grafts and thus will do fine with a clinic that performs smaller sessions of high quality standard follicular unit grafting.

However, if a patient is a candidate for doing a very large session (3,000 plus) of high density ultra refined follicular units then they should consider choosing a clinic that has met the very high membership standards of the Coalition.

Coalition members are also committed to operating in a transparent environment in which their results are critiqued on this forum. Thus only members who continue to provide consistently high quality results are permitted to continue as members. (see Coalition Membership Standards

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.