Reverse a HT?

Imissme

Hey everyone, I has an HT done about 10 years ago along my hairline. It was a follicular transplant that looks like individual hairs (maybe two in some)and the hairline has receded from it.

I've been saving for another one and have had an online consultation with Dr.Rahal for about 2000 grafts.

Thing is, I've been agonizing over hairloss mostly because of this procedure years ago and how the hair has receded from it, not so much the hairloss itself. I've been looking for a way to potentially "reverse" the job I had done years ago as I would rather just be bald and be done with it.

Anyone know if there is a procedure that can be done to accommodate this?

Thanks.

Hey everyone, I has an HT done about 10 years ago along my hairline. It was a follicular transplant that looks like individual hairs (maybe two in some)and the hairline has receded from it.

I've been saving for another one and have had an online consultation with Dr.Rahal for about 2000 grafts.

Thing is, I've been agonizing over hairloss mostly because of this procedure years ago and how the hair has receded from it, not so much the hairloss itself. I've been looking for a way to potentially "reverse" the job I had done years ago as I would rather just be bald and be done with it.

Anyone know if there is a procedure that can be done to accommodate this?

Thanks.

Wow, these forums have become a dead zone. icon_frown.gif

I've searched a little on my own as an FYI but have not been able to find any info so if anyone has heard of anything, feel free to add.

Thanks in advance.

Imissme,

Let me tell you my story....

I too had a transplant back in '91, except my new hairs were mostly four hair plugs in the front 1/3, including the hairline, and some four to eight hair plugs in the back.

Through the years my hairline receded to the point last year the old plugs were starting to become more noticeable. I went for a transplant and the doc used a punch tool that took those old plugs out, but cut them somehow to leave one hair in. The scabs were fairly large for two or three weeks but are now unnoticeable. He also took out two 'rows' in my crown that looked unnatural. We left some on the top and he says the new FU's will camoflouge the old plugs nicely. If you check my weblog, you can see how bad they looked preop and how now you can't see any evidence of the old plugs.

To answer your question, yes the old ones can be taken out. But, a new transplant with a world class surgeon can do wonders. Where are you located?

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Imissme - it depends on the condition of the underlying skin along your hairline (where grafts were placed). If they were follicular units and the skin is not damaged (pitting), a few on the forum have zapped the transplanted hair out with laser hair removal. Just keep in mind that it may take more than 1 session and will not improve the skin if there is any scarring. Also, you'd have to be confident that you wouldn't want any more work done (transplants) in the future.

Imissme,

No procedure can reverse a hair transplant entirely. Transplanted hair can be surgically removed or removed by laser, and hair can be transplanted into the scar, but you will never go back to exactly how you were before you had surgery.

Be sure to speak to Dr. Rahal or another surgeon of your choice about all your options before taking the plunge either way. You have options, but choosing the one right for you is the challenge.

Best wishes,

Bill

Originally posted by Imissme:

Wow, these forums have become a dead zone. icon_frown.gif

BOO!!! Just wanted to break the silence.

Also, in light of what what Dewayene said about removing the old plugs, don't be so sure you can completely reverse things because scarring on a hairline may be noticeable. Every removal site will have scarring. Period. Surgery = scarring. The only question will be how noticeable will it be or, more importantly, will it be noticeable to the naked eye. In Dewayne's case, where one hair was left in, the answer is probably "no." But, if Dewayne were to shave his entire hairline (the equivalent of your going completely bald), I suspect scarring would be readily visible, and people might suddenly start staring at your forehead and wondering "hmmm, what happened there?" I suspect that lasering them out would be the better option but, even then, you have scarring from the '98 incisions.

My blog.

HT1: 4063 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 12/9/03

HT2: 3537 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 5/15/06

Total grafts: 7,600

Yeah, that's the thing, they were punched in. I was shaving my head and using concealer but the other day I accidentally left the "0" attachment on the clippers and didn't notice, then ZAP across the top of my head, right down to the skin.

I've obviously shaved my entire head but now notice how badly these punch lines stick out and how much hair I've lost. It's shiny! icon_smile.gif Not to mention the scar. Pretty hard going out right now and I work in an office.

I'm in Canada and Rahal happens to be about 4 1/2 hours away. It's just the money. I make pretty good money and can afford it but I've been trying to save up. Thing is, my car has broken down twice in the last six months and set me back $2000.00. Seems I can't make it there.

The next big question I had was how do you guys usually finance your surgeries? Dollar figures aren't important but how is everyone doing it these days???

Imissme,

You can use a credit card or pull out a personal loan to finance surgeries. If you own a home, you could consider a home equity loan and also do some home repair at the same time icon_smile.gif.

Please explore all your options and decide whether or not it would be better to proceed with another hair transplant surgery or work to remove the hair.

Best wishes,

Bill

I'm gonna go ahead with another HT. I've decided.

I was 23 when I had my first and am now 31. My advice to anyone would be to consider all your options before you go ahead with a surgery.

Rahal is World Class and he'll fix me up. Thanks for the suggestions.

I've argued about this with some of the "all debt = bad debt" crowd on here in the past, but I'll tell you there is such a thing as good debt. Don't get yourself in trouble, but a tranplant even if financed is a good investment in the hands of someone like Rahal.

And I'm a financial planner.... But, I also know what it's like to be ashamed of your head and constantly thinking about someone staring at your old plugs.

If you've got decent credit, some credit cards will offer an advance free of interest for some time. Even at 9% interest, I think it's a better investment than, say, a car payment.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

I'll say, I shaved it and went about my business a couple days ago in the morning and people looking at my scar and the plugs was enough to sway me. I'd pay whatever just to avoid the stares. It's worth it.

Considering I work in an office and everything too, there would be nothing worse than running a meeting and having people stare at your plugs in a meeting. Not to mention it's very unattractive in appearance.

I'm looking into financing options now.

Does anyone know what surgeons are using now to close up the area where grafts are taken? Dewayne, I checked your weblog and I think you mentioned you had stitches. When I had my HT done years ago, they used staples. I would think stitches would be easier to cover.

Originally posted by Imissme:

I'll say, I shaved it and went about my business a couple days ago in the morning and people looking at my scar and the plugs was enough to sway me. I'd pay whatever just to avoid the stares. It's worth it.

Considering I work in an office and everything too, there would be nothing worse than running a meeting and having people stare at your plugs in a meeting. Not to mention it's very unattractive in appearance.

I'm looking into financing options now.

Does anyone know what surgeons are using now to close up the area where grafts are taken? Dewayne, I checked your weblog and I think you mentioned you had stitches. When I had my HT done years ago, they used staples. I would think stitches would be easier to cover.

Actually, my doctor didn't use stitches for the old plugs. He punched them out and they healed on their own just like the new tranplants. It took the larger holes a little longer to heal, but after a few weeks it was unnoticeable.

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

I get this question all the time. The problems with removing old punch grafts are:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>Scaring

<LI>If they try to reuse by re cutting up to 50% might be damaged or lost

<LI>pitting of the scalp with our without suturing

If you are going to have a procedure than let it all grow out and see how well it conceals the old punch grafts. The positive of punch grafts is there is density, if the new procedure works well, then you have the hair but not the pluggy look. If it does not conceal all of them have the doctor work on those.

Talk to the doctor and see what she/he recommends, our doctors are very reluctant about taking out old punch grafts unless absolutely neccesary.

I am a hair restoration client and have 10 years experience in the hair restoration industry, all my views are my own

With a good surgeon depending on your donor density it could turn out good. Even if they have to transport some of your older grafts and move. Good luck

SMOOTHY

Shapiro

Propecia/Rogaine xtra

MSM/Saw Pallmetto

Nioxin Shampoo

Zrii 3oz. daily