Dr.'s comments on what to expect for frontal 500 grafts - how detectible the surgery

KP

I recently met w/ Dr. Harris in Denver. Gave me a prescription for Proscar, and we talked about "if" I had surgery. There was no pressure from him, but warned this is a committment. Even though I'm 30 and still have a lot of hair, there is no way of knowing how much hair I would lose in 5, 20, 50 yrs. I'm a Norwood 2+. In summary this is what he said to expect post-op ---> in my case of 500 grafts,frontal hairline, to fill in my receding power alleys: I would have some minor swelling and asked that I keep ice packs minimum 15 mins per hour 1st 4 days. Some inital redness. After 7 days because of small # of grafts, I should look like no surgery has been done. Stitches will dissolve and donor area will be undetectable. Some of my existing hairs might have shock fall-out, but those are ones that would probably be gone soon anyway. Any comments on my consultation / past experience for this small # of grafts would be halpful. (My concern is undetectabilty post surgery) thanks

I recently met w/ Dr. Harris in Denver. Gave me a prescription for Proscar, and we talked about "if" I had surgery. There was no pressure from him, but warned this is a committment. Even though I'm 30 and still have a lot of hair, there is no way of knowing how much hair I would lose in 5, 20, 50 yrs. I'm a Norwood 2+. In summary this is what he said to expect post-op ---> in my case of 500 grafts,frontal hairline, to fill in my receding power alleys: I would have some minor swelling and asked that I keep ice packs minimum 15 mins per hour 1st 4 days. Some inital redness. After 7 days because of small # of grafts, I should look like no surgery has been done. Stitches will dissolve and donor area will be undetectable. Some of my existing hairs might have shock fall-out, but those are ones that would probably be gone soon anyway. Any comments on my consultation / past experience for this small # of grafts would be halpful. (My concern is undetectabilty post surgery) thanks

Also I was expecting him to say my post-op normal appearance wouldn't occur for several weeks... and was pleasantly surprised only a week and you wouldn't be able to tell I had a surgery.

He also mentioned Rogaine (don't see myself putting ointment in my hair 2x/day) could help along w/ the Proscar (1 mg/day). Here is his website if interested in a Denver Dr. http://www.unpluggedhair.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Curious if anyone out there can share their experience for < 1000 graft session. Most posts I have read our 1500+ grafts, and want to hear some experiences for less traumatic 500 - 1000 graft sessions [re shock fallout, swelling, recovery experience etc) thx

I did an 850 and a 750 fu's over the last 2 years. They are pretty easy. I got more swelling with the 850 fu's because 250 of them were on the hairline. I am going in for a 200 to 300 touch up in hairline and front zone. These are a piece of cake. However, I am very concerned about hair shock. I have a lot of HT hair. I have 5000 fu's to date. My biggest was 1200 in 1998. That surgury was tough on me. 500 were on hairline. My head looked like I swallowed a football between day 3 and 6 due to swelling.

Think of it this way. what is more painful? 1) a little discomfort for a week or so., maybe showering and styling your hair is not fun during that period. Wearing a hat for 7 to 10 days>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>or looking in the mirror and wishing you had more hair or dreading to go on a date of something?

Go for it brother. 500, 750 800 whatever. it is all good

peace

Ron

I just had 2800 FU's on Monday. I know its not the less than # for this forum but wanted to let you know where I was at.

I look terrible. I'm one of those swellers I guess. My donor area is in alot of pain as well. I guess because of the 2800 FU's needed.

But at this time, I'm taking the attitude Ron Danny has suggested. At this time, the hat never leaves my side. I shower very carefully and do no hair styling as its virtually impossible at this time.

Hopefully, within 10 days this will all be over with, I can go on living the way I was living and in a few months I hopefully will be even happier. At this time, the hat never leaves my side.

I have had two HT's w/ Dr. Beehner, both around 1000 grafts. My personal experience is that you will be able to tell you've had a hair transplant for several weeks after the surgery. I don't know anyone personally who has had an HT besides myself. I read these forums on occasion. I am doubtful of many of the responsesboth regarding the redness and swelling after surgery as well as when you can expect to see the transplanted hair. My experience is about 6 weeks for the redness to disappear and about 6 months before I saw significant improvement as far as growing hair. My last HT was 6 months ago and I am just starting to appreciate the results.

Hi,

This is in response to your questions regarding <1000 HT. I just had 800 done. Please read my experience under bosley, chicago posted few days ago. And, let me know if you have any questions.

good luck

I'm glad you are doing O.K. 2800 fu's. Your a stud man. My biggest is 1200. I met with my doctor today and I am doing 500 more in my hairline area on Feb 21. I wish I was like you and was finished. Most of the swelling will be gone by day 6 0r 7 so hang in there. I have done almost 5000 fu's to date and I do not regret any of them. I cannot wait to do the 500 on 2-21. Besides seeing them grow in and thicken, the best part is when it is over that day or you reflect later in the first week and you know it is done. Now just sit back and relax. Remember, lay low on the hair spray for a while, couple of weeks or so. Most gels have no alcohol. Be a lable reader like I am. Heck, I do not leave in creme rinse too long because of the cetyle alcohol in it or cearlye alcohol. Am I anal about my fu's? You better belief iT!. On day 8 you might want to soak the fu's with a warm, wet wash cloth for a half hour before You shower. Gentle massage them off on day 9, 10 11, 12 etc. Just do not force them off. Soaking them first is real helpful. Use blow dryer with coolest setting during the first week or so. Just take good care of those babies and you will be just fine

God Bless

Ron