what is norwood level

• Moderators

You can view the norwood scale on this page:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Share-Info/hairloss-photos-byClass.asp?

It goes from class 2 (slightly receding hairline) to class 7 (completely bald except for a fringe of hair around the side and back).

Basically the higher number you are, the more hair you've lost. People who are low in the scale are generally better candidates for most hair restoration procedures whether it is a hair transplant or medical therapy (minoxidil, propecia, etc) because they have more hair to work with and less additional hair is needed for a full appearance.

People at a level of 7 may not be able to get a full look because of the lack of hair still growing on their head and the amount of hair that would be required to restore a full appearance.

Age also plays a factor since people who are thinning at a young age are sometimes losing hair at a fast rate and also have a lot of years of potential hair loss to go if medical therapies are unable to completely stop the progression of hairloss for an extended amount of years.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Ozi,

The Norwood scale an be used as a guide to help you determine how much loss you've experienced.

As BeHappy said, the higher the norwood level, the greater the loss.

Those who are of higher levels would need more hair transplanted to give them the coverage and the illusion of density they would need to satisfy them.

I hope this helps.

Bill