Anone get crown work when they were young?

Ams99

I was curious if anyone on this board had any work on their crown when they were in their mid 20s? I hear people will regret it, but I'd like to see if anyone did get it and regret it? I'm 25 and norwood 3 with little loss on the temples and front and main loss in the crown area. I've been on treatment (minoxidil/propecia/nizoral) for a year, and the crown loss is still progressing, but maybe at a slower rate. I really don't know what to do. I really would like to have the apperance of a full of head of hair until my 30s, but at the moment that looks as if it won't be possible unless I start getting crown work.

I was curious if anyone on this board had any work on their crown when they were in their mid 20s? I hear people will regret it, but I'd like to see if anyone did get it and regret it? I'm 25 and norwood 3 with little loss on the temples and front and main loss in the crown area. I've been on treatment (minoxidil/propecia/nizoral) for a year, and the crown loss is still progressing, but maybe at a slower rate. I really don't know what to do. I really would like to have the apperance of a full of head of hair until my 30s, but at the moment that looks as if it won't be possible unless I start getting crown work.

I think you will find that people have had crown work to a small degree, but rarely have a large session of grafts put there. Most (good) docs will resist puting a large amount there because this will deplete available donor hair for when and if the top and front decide to go and the sides and back creep farther down (in which case you could be left with a rather strange "hair island" in the crown).

There are several members here that have had their crowns "peppered" with a small-to-moderate amount of grafts, just to give a little more coverage back there. If you decide to persue this, I recomment you take a real conservative approach. Don't act for the "now" and shrug-off the future by going for a heavy restoration back there! icon_wink.gif

Also, keep taking the Propecia. It may take a couple of years to see good regrowth and it is likely at least slowing your loss.

trying2moveahead

BTW, I've had extensive work in the front...no crown work (Propecia did great for me back there after a couple of years).

Ams,

I think "dusting" the crown with fu's would be the very farthest I would go, especially if you have crown loss in your mid 20's, Arfy & others have acurately commented on this:

Your HT should look natural on a stand-alone basis, or in other words Grafts should be placed strategically so further hairloss does not make you look like an alien.

I agree with the previous posts. Good advice. A couple of things to consider are this: As long as you are getting microscopically dissected follicular units, the work will look good even if your hair loss does continue. The people who regret their grafts are the people who paved the way back in the 1980's. I'm one of them. I had pluggy grafts in my crown - thank god they weren't in the hairline region. Later I had smaller grafts placed amongst them.

Another thing to consider is family history. Some people only lose hair in the crown. But if you have anyone who is very bald in your family tree, then you might want to go conservative and save for the hairline.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 23 and have thinning in only the crown (about 3 and a half inches by 3 and a half inches). My hairline is the same though, straight across. My family history has hair loss in mainly just the crown. there is some recession, but really it would be categorized as old age recession. My dad, at 51, has the typical bald spot, but with a fairly good hairline. So, in my case atleast, I'll probably see most of my hair loss in the crown area. I plan to be on meds and any of the most recent and best hair loss stoppers out there, so I should never get to the point where I would run out of donor hair (I'm on Propecia/ Nizoral/ NANO, with good success). My plan is to get about 2000 grafts in the crown area when I'm 25 and then kinda take it from there. Getting maintenance surgeries done if need be. I'm going with FUE, just to be extra safe, so that I can always have the option of having my hair short. Trust me, I know allot about hair transplants because of this site and others, and for me I feel that this will work out well for me. Just make sure your expectatons are realistic. I know I'll never have my high school hair back, but if I have a thin spot of about the size of a loonie or toonie on my crown, and a slightly recessed hairline, I'll be happier than a pig in sh*t!

Cheers,

danger