Switching from Minoxidil to Propecia

Eagle10

I've been on Minoxidil for about 5 months. I would like to switch to Propecia solely (I've been on it for about a month).

Is that a good idea, or would I have some hairloss due to the switch? Has anyone done that and when would be the best, safest time to make the switch?

Thanks.

I've been on Minoxidil for about 5 months. I would like to switch to Propecia solely (I've been on it for about a month).

Is that a good idea, or would I have some hairloss due to the switch? Has anyone done that and when would be the best, safest time to make the switch?

Thanks.

Eagle10,

I've not switched before so this is pure speculation on my part. I tried Minox years ago but it was too messy for me and the regimen was a pain. Propecia and Minox work differently.......since you've only been on Minox for 5 months and if you've not noticed much regrowth, hopefully you won't experience much of a negative reaction.

If you're going to do........better sooner than later when Minox starts to provide you some benefit then you lose it.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thanks hairbank.

I've come up with a similar conclusion. While Minox is messy (and may clog pores too among other effects), it does seem to maintain. Then again, isn't that what Propecia does too? Maintain.

When does Propecia begin to have an effect and what effect does it have?

Personally......it's difficult for me to say. I started it right after my HT and most of what I had transplanted went in the crown where Propecia is likely the most effective.

From what I've read about it and from other's experiences, Propecia does maintain but several experience some regrowth as well.....mainly in the crown but I've seen it in the hairline as well. I believe I've seen minor evidence of regrowth in my hairline after 3 1/2 months of use. It's somewhat easy for me to determine since I have a scar below my existing hairline where my original hairline used to be.

Some will see results within the first few months of taking Propecia, some it takes up to or over a year. The key is consistency in taking it. Also, some Propecia users have experienced shedding due to the meds kicking the hair into its natural resting phase around the same time. If this happens it's best just to wait it out as it will return.

I have done some reading on Dr. Lees site about the positive effect of using Minoxidil and similar products along with Propecia. They each seem to work differently as DHT blockers and evidence posted there suggest both as a 1-2 punch. However, studies show that Propecia alone blocks 70% of the DHT attacking the hair and I decided, due to Minox's messy regimen, it was good enough for me.

Hope this helps.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I used Rogain for about 3 years and then started Propecia. My twin brother just used Propecia. I have been on Propecia for a little over a year. I did use both at first, for a while (6 months?) and then just the Propecia. It seems that i have lost some hair since stopping the Rogain. My twin never used Rogain and just used Propecia and he has not lost any. That would suggest that stopping Rogain even though you are on Propecia could cause hair loss. I have not grown any of the lost hair back since stopping the Rogain so i am thinking about going back to both.

Hope that helps.