Patient Photo Album Norwood 3A 3770 Follicular Units Dr. Mark McKenzie Seager Hair Transplant Centre

Obviously photos can be misleading but based on these I would have to say the results are disappointing. He seemed to have a lot of native hair left on the back half of his head. 3700 grafts located in just the front half should have provided a very solid result based on most other results I've seen posted with similar loss and that number of grafts or maybe even less grafts.

It looks like the grafts were placed all the way to the crown even though he had mininmal (thinning) loss in the back third. To me, the 16 month results look like he either had additional native loss due to MBP or permanent shock loss of of some of his native hair due to the transplant.

Some docs seem to believe in trying to "finish" an area in one HT and then moving on to other areas with subsequent HTs while others try to provide as much coverage as possible or even future-proofi the work by grafting into areas that aren't terribly affected with MBP yet. Based on graft placement, it looks like the latter approach may have been taken here.

We don't know his donor situation, but based on his really solid crown and even back third of his scalp (based on the before top shot) I would have asked for all those grafts to be placed in the front half and no farther back and then try and rely on meds to keep the back strong. The overall result may have been better - less chance of shock loss in the mid-back scalp and more density for the hairline and front half.

I have more hair than this guy and was thinking about 2000-2500 in the front third, but going on these results, I would either not do a HT at all or have to up that to at least 3000 to get the results I want (and that's with the goal of keeping a mature hairline).

I re-read the post and looked at the photos again. This is reallly confusing.

The doctor classified this patient as a 3A which looks fairly accurate (maybe a little optimistic) based on the photos. He's clearly a receder and doesn't seem to have diffuse thinning in the back half to any extent (I realize the flash didn't go off so maybe it's worse than it seems). I guess I just don't understand why you would place grafts over the whole head - all the way back to the crown - on a 3A scalp!

What seems particularly odd when I look at the immediate post-op photos is that the most dense placement of grafts is *not* in the hairline, as one might suspect and where he appears to need it most.

I keep looking and relooking at these recent posts from Dr. McKenzie and I'm not finding any of them that impressive in terms of coverage or naturalness.

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

I agree M&M, im kinda wanting to see something and think something positive about the results that Dr McKenzie recently posted, but my own opinion is that they look like obvious HTs.

I know that they will have more maturing to do in the long run etc, but a person can only give a honest opinion on what they see.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. In answer to your questions:

The grafts were all placed in the front half of the recipient area as you can see from the immediate post-op photo.

In retrospect, I should have combed his hair all the way back to show the pre-op balding more accurately. It is diffcult to show what is happening in 3 dimensions in a 2 dimensional photo.