HT and Certified Sick Leave - Rahal's patient's?

Hello,

As a person with only 3 weeks vacation and trying to save as much as possible for REAL vacationI wondered if any HT surgeons, specifically Dr. Rahal, were fine with writing a letter for certified sick leave for a few days.

Though most employers dont allow for certified sick leave for elective surgeries mine did allow for a day of certified sick leave for my laser eye surgery so I am thinking they would allow for a few for a HT, though I wouldnt mention what the exact 'head surgery' was.

I wondered if Dr. Rahal or others have written vague Doctors letters stating 'So and so was at my medical clinic for a procedure and requires 2-3 days rest prior to resuming work'. This would save me 3 previous vacation days. Since Im having my procedure Dec 14th that would allow me to use 3days CSL time instead of vacation and since our work closes for 2 weeks over Christmas that 3 days could be used at the beginning of January and using a bit more vacation I could be away from work for 1 month!!

Anyone have experience with this? I can see how some may be fine with this while other Drs may be uncomfortable with this.

Thanks ahead of time for any insightful answers. Once I put another payment on my HT account at Dr. Rahal's clinic Ill ask Adrian, but until than I wont bug him about such a small detail.

Edit: Just checked my certified sick leave bank I have 197.5 hours. Being 30 years old and healthy as a horse I never tapped (laser eye surgery only). While many of my co-workers have ended up going on stress leave, surgery, maternity/pregnancy visits, broken ankles/arms, etc. for this thus using this 'benefit'. Since I will unlikely use this unless I get into a car accident I can justify in my mind to use CSL icon_biggrin.gif

SDM

Hello,

As a person with only 3 weeks vacation and trying to save as much as possible for REAL vacationI wondered if any HT surgeons, specifically Dr. Rahal, were fine with writing a letter for certified sick leave for a few days.

Though most employers dont allow for certified sick leave for elective surgeries mine did allow for a day of certified sick leave for my laser eye surgery so I am thinking they would allow for a few for a HT, though I wouldnt mention what the exact 'head surgery' was.

I wondered if Dr. Rahal or others have written vague Doctors letters stating 'So and so was at my medical clinic for a procedure and requires 2-3 days rest prior to resuming work'. This would save me 3 previous vacation days. Since Im having my procedure Dec 14th that would allow me to use 3days CSL time instead of vacation and since our work closes for 2 weeks over Christmas that 3 days could be used at the beginning of January and using a bit more vacation I could be away from work for 1 month!!

Anyone have experience with this? I can see how some may be fine with this while other Drs may be uncomfortable with this.

Thanks ahead of time for any insightful answers. Once I put another payment on my HT account at Dr. Rahal's clinic Ill ask Adrian, but until than I wont bug him about such a small detail.

Edit: Just checked my certified sick leave bank I have 197.5 hours. Being 30 years old and healthy as a horse I never tapped (laser eye surgery only). While many of my co-workers have ended up going on stress leave, surgery, maternity/pregnancy visits, broken ankles/arms, etc. for this thus using this 'benefit'. Since I will unlikely use this unless I get into a car accident I can justify in my mind to use CSL icon_biggrin.gif

SDM

Hey Shaved -- This is off topic but you say another payment on your HT account. Your procedure is at the end of the year, and you're starting payments on it?

Can you go in to some more detail about this?? Sounds like something I should start doing

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

Nizoral 1% 2-3 times a week

Fish Oil capsules w/ Omega-3

SDM- Dr. Rahal wrote me a letter on official letter head, it didn't say Rahal Transpant but LMC Medical Centre. I just wanted to take a month off from my gym and they wouldn't freeze my account without a docs note. The letter was simple and to the point and didn't mention anything about a HT, but enough that they accepted it as it is from a doc.

Space- When you schedule a date, Dr. R requires a $1000 downpayment and the remainder is due two weeks before the procedure. At least that is how it was for me six months ago.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Originally posted by SpaceBetween:

Hey Shaved -- This is off topic but you say another payment on your HT account. Your procedure is at the end of the year, and you're starting payments on it?

Can you go in to some more detail about this?? Sounds like something I should start doing

Hi Space Between,

I have already put down my $1000 to secure the procedure. I am referring to the fact that I dont save money very well ... meaning that if I have $2000 in my savings account I will likely spend it on speakers or something so instead what I plan to do is once I have 2-3000$ saved I will simply make a payment on my account over at Rahal's clinic so it isnt sitting in my savings account but rather on as credit. As I save 1-3 grand Ill keep making payments until it is paid in full by Dec 1 st date where I will have paid everything off! Thats my plan anyway ... Ill be getting a sizable tax return shortly so thats when Ill plop down a couple of grand before I spend it :-)

This is what you haveto do when you are like me and susceptible to impulse buys thus wasting something you are saving for longer term icon_rolleyes.gif

This is an interesting topic. Something that I have never previously thought to be honest. As a "medical surgery", I would think that it would be valid that you would be able to claim some days as sick leave!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

After some good advice and thought I think it is in my best interest to merely call in sick for 3 days, which I can do without requiring a doctors note. This will allow me to be more discrete about the procedure and not mislead my employer. The last thing I want them to think is that I had brain surgery after being vague with the procedure I had.

Though my wife mentioned her work's policy manual specifically states they do not grant CSL for elective surgery. Though my policy procedure manual at my work does not go that specific I am not really interested in asking my boss about whether Hair transplantion get me a week of CSL or not icon_biggrin.gif I may just take a vacation day off for the procedure with not much intention of going to work the next day. Than from the swelling and discomfort I can legimately call in to say I am sick. That way I can keep calling for the next three days while the swelling bothers me. I may opt to get a note from Dr. Rahal incase any questions arise but that would be a last resort. That way what I can do is take a vacation day at the beginning of the week (procedure) call in sick the next three days and than take a vacation day that Friday as the swelling and discomfort will likely go down by than and I would require a letter if I called in a 4th day.

This might sound a bit shady and low ... Im not sure but because I have 3 weeks vacation and live away from my family being able to reserve my precious vacation days to visit my parents and brother half way across Canada means alot to me.

Raphael84: Make sure you dont get yourself in trouble using any of my ideas icon_smile.gif Make sure you read any policy and procedures at your work about elective surgeries vs certified sick leave. Luckily I have 7 days paid uncertified sick leave so I may go for the limit before requiring a note.

SDM

Thanks for the advice Monk(ey),

but Im leaving work at taking an extended 6 month travel vacation after my HT. So sick days from work will not be an issue. Having said that, for the past 2 years I have been saving for not only this HT, but also a travel budget for 6 months and also the necessary funds for a follow up HT 12 months later. Otherwise I would have already undergone my 1st HT and would be sitting here now with a fuller head of hair!

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Raphael -- you managed to get 6 months off work?!?

Man am I ever jealous.

And saved for 2 procedures? I wish I could do the same!

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

Nizoral 1% 2-3 times a week

Fish Oil capsules w/ Omega-3

6 months leave from work. I wish. No, I will be uprooting home and travelling gypsy like with a simple bag. Seeing much of the world. Then I will be settling in a new location, setting up and seeking a new job. All change. Just so you know, the reasons for my travel are not directly (but I suppose are included)to my HT. My trip is long overdue. My girlfriend and I and the open road..............

and a box of Propecia, Minoxidil, Nizarol, Vitamins, Omega 3, MSM.

Pure freedom.................

oh, and some hats!