The primary goal of the HT is to establish an artistic and natural hairline and then once this is achieved other considerations can be addressed. My question that I would like to pose is: With a quality and technically sound HT performed in the frontal area, can any hairstyle be attempted or is this something that has to be previously thought out? I'm not naive and do understand that there are several factors to consider, however, are you usually "stuck" with a certain hairstyle? With a quality job and assuming there is enough density you should be able to have most options isn't that correct?

Is it just me or do you tend to see a pattern with the choice of hairline that certain surgeons tend to favour. I feel like I can look at certain HT and tell you who performed the job. The doctors I am speaking of do perform awesome work and by know means am I meaning anything derogatory, just curious. I guess that if you have perfected something why not stick with it.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

The primary goal of the HT is to establish an artistic and natural hairline and then once this is achieved other considerations can be addressed. My question that I would like to pose is: With a quality and technically sound HT performed in the frontal area, can any hairstyle be attempted or is this something that has to be previously thought out? I'm not naive and do understand that there are several factors to consider, however, are you usually "stuck" with a certain hairstyle? With a quality job and assuming there is enough density you should be able to have most options isn't that correct?

Is it just me or do you tend to see a pattern with the choice of hairline that certain surgeons tend to favour. I feel like I can look at certain HT and tell you who performed the job. The doctors I am speaking of do perform awesome work and by know means am I meaning anything derogatory, just curious. I guess that if you have perfected something why not stick with it.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Just IMO....

With a good HT surgeon, and dense packing, I believe you should have the ability to style in different ways. Quality surgeons will replicate the original growth pattern of your hair so hopefully it will be similar to what you had before loss.

Most opt to comb their hair back to add to the illusion of density........I'm one of these. Also, my first HT did not involve "dense packing" and the grafts weren't directionally placed so I need at least 2" or so in length to style differently.....otherwise the hair tends to stick up.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I agree with hairbank a good surgeon will follow your natural hair direction and it will blend in with your native hairs.

Unfortunately for many of us like myself who had old style HT technology. They did not pay too much attention to matching natural direction and angles of the hair shaft exiting the scalp like is done today.

NoBuzz

Much appreciated responses. My previous HT does have a few "wanderers" as well and therefore will have to consider this with the next surgery. Does more density typically get achieved wih hair straight back or with a side part?

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Both back and to the side can look very good. Either way, depending on your density and particular situation, you want enough length for good coverage but not so much as to look "comboverish". Combing the hair back has the added benefit of it standing up a little (unless it's too long) which, to me, adds more to the illusion of density. OTOH- if you have a fairly high hairline and temple recision, maybe to the side looks better to detract from a receeding look (as NB4M mentioned). If you're married............ask your wife, she'll tell you which looks better icon_wink.gif !

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.