Decided on Hair Transplant Surgery and Question Starting Propecia before an HT

Hi,

This is my first post and I wanted to start by saying thank you for the wealth of information o n this site. After reading many of your experiences, I finally scheduled an HT (with a reputed surgeon recommended on this forum)

I've been putting off starting propecia for a while because of all the side-effects I've read about, but I also know that is key in minimizing permanent shock loss after an HT. My HT is scheduled in 2 weeks and was wondering if it is even worthwhile starting propecia now to minimize/prevent permanent shockloss. Since propecia takes a few months to start working, does it make sense to start taking so soon before an HT procedure?

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

Hi,

This is my first post and I wanted to start by saying thank you for the wealth of information o n this site. After reading many of your experiences, I finally scheduled an HT (with a reputed surgeon recommended on this forum)

I've been putting off starting propecia for a while because of all the side-effects I've read about, but I also know that is key in minimizing permanent shock loss after an HT. My HT is scheduled in 2 weeks and was wondering if it is even worthwhile starting propecia now to minimize/prevent permanent shockloss. Since propecia takes a few months to start working, does it make sense to start taking so soon before an HT procedure?

- badger

badger,

Welcome to our forum community and congratulations on deciding to proceed with hair transplant surgery. Which surgeon did you choose?

You can start taking Propecia anytime you would like. This will potentially help strengthen any existing native hair before your surgery.

My only reluctance is getting a hair transplant within the first 3 months of taking Propecia (with the exception of the first week or two). Because hair shedding can be an initial reaction to Propecia, I wouldn't want the surgeon to transect native hairs that were going to grow back thicker with transplanted ones.

Idealistically therefore, in my opinion, it is good to use Propecia for at least 6 months prior to surgery. Otherwise, it might be better to start taking it the day before surgery or immediately after.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks Bill,

I picked Dr Gabel. Thats a good point you make about transecting native hairs. I've been reading that a number of patients started their propecia regimen right after surgery, and I'll probably do the same. Anything else i can do to minimize the risk of permanent shockloss?

- badger

Hi badger_01,

From the results posted by Dr. Gabel, he does excellent work. I would recommend starting propecia 2 months before the HT, to see if any side effects do occur, as you mentioned you were concerned of sides. Although sides effects on propecia are supposed to be very rare, many users on the forum have reported side effects (and a many have not had any side effects). When you're committing to a lifetime of finasteride use, it's best to find out if the sides are there before jumping in. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck with the HT!