Sharing my story

PCC

After visiting this site for two years, I am going to take the plunge and post for the first time. All of your input has been invaluable as I evaluate options for refinement of previous work. By sharing my experinces I am hoping we can help each other.

I am 41 and married. I began losing my hair in my teens. This was devastating to me as a young man during the "big hair" and looks obsessed era of the 80's. It absolutely ruined what should have been some of the best years of my life as far as dating, going off to college, etc. (Who would have thought that 20 years later balding men would be comfortable enough to shave their heads completely and look great! I think it's wonderful and wish I could!) As living with it or turning to a hair system was unacceptable to me then, hair transplantation was an act of desperation. Thus my "resume" is as follows:

1983-1990 Three proceedures with Dr. Steven Mandy of Miami.

1992 One proceedure with Dr. Richard Boshardt of Lake County, Florida. Very fine "strip grafts" along frontal hairline to camoflage previous plugs.

1995 One proceedure with Dr. Reza Alidina of Orlando. Mini and micro grafts to frontal hairline area to further improve appearance.

The end result of this has been both a blessing and a curse. It certainly gave me more than I would have had and I feel like I'm one of the lucky ones as far as the older techniques. Although time took it's toll with more hairloss, I don't feel like I have an isolated "island" of hair. The shape and height of my hairline is fine. I get a haircut at least every two weeks to keep it presentable. On the other hand, it is still something I'm very self conscious of. I have suffered my share of funny looks and snide comments/questions, although these have decreased since the last proceedure in '95. My goals for correction/refinement are in order of importance:

1. Remove earlier plugs inappropriately placed in crown. Break up into FUs and redistribute elsewhere.

2. Undectable hairline!

3. Added density to front half of balding area,so can cut and wear hair more normally instead of feeling like I have to have a "combover".

4. Revision of old scarring to donor area if possible.

5. Realize that HT's cannot restore a full, thick head of hair, so not concerned about crown at this stage of my life. I feel like my hair loss has stabilized and never have tried Minoxidil or Propecia because I didn't think it would help at this stage of the game.

I feel like my goals are realistic given the improvements that many of you are achieving.I now live in Central Florida, only a short drive from the Orlando office and headquarters of one of the nationwide hair restoration conglomerates (need I say which?) While I don't want to judge their individual staff surgeons, things I've been seeing here are cause for concern. I've been in e-mail contact with both Dr. Rose and Dr. Charles after reading their many glowing recommendations. I don't have definate plans for a consult at this time due to financial constraints. I'm looking for a top notch, caring Dr. who will help me but who will be ethical and honest. I also understand that all I'm looking for may not be able to be accomplished in one proceedure.

PCC

Hi PCC,

Well this looks like your first post so thanks for contributing and welcome to our community! I also read these boards long before I became active in them so I can definitely relate.

Although all three of your procedures were done without them being FUTs, it sounds like you were not butchered so you must be thankful for that. Not sure what you meant by "very fine strip grafts" but again judging by the year of 1992, speaks for itself.

You obviously have learned alot over the years and was very impressed by your stated thoughts and goals. Not sure if #4 is realistic but I have heard of patients replenishing their donor areas with BH grafts. Your open donor plugs probably can be thinned out with isolated extraction methods or even removed, but just be sure you only consider HT surgeons who have done lots of repair cases and have the references to back it up. You definitely are considering two talented ones in your closing comments.

Just because you are geographically close to a hair mill in Central Florida does not imply that they are competent which you probably know already. REALLY do your homework on that one! icon_confused.gif

Lastly, "if" you still have natural hair to "save", it's not too late to start the medicinal regime to try and save it. Also it may help to prevent the lateral humps from receding further on your rim.

The best advice? Get examined "in-person". That way the competent HT surgeon can physically examine all of your past work, evaluate donot supplies, the scarring, etc. Best wishes to you and again thanks for your participation! icon_smile.gif

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators

PCC,

Thanks for sharing your very veteran experiences. Yes, I too remember the "80's big hair era" and I joined it in a big way when I got my heavy duty "hair system" in the late 80's. Nothing like having hair you have to tape down and walking into the wind at a 45 degree angle icon_wink.gif So kudos to you for missing that era.

I think you might find the info at http://www.regrowhair.com/repairs.asp very useful. Much work went into this repair info and it may help you finalize your hair transplant plan.

Welcome to the community. I hope that a veteran like you becomes a regular with a happy hair ending.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Gillenator and Pat,

Thanks for your kind, helpful, and prompt responses to my first post!

Pat, I never resorted to a hair system but that doesn't mean the thought never crossed my mind a few times over the years. I'm extremely physically active and during our notorious humid,boiling Florida summers it's not uncommon for me to have to shower and wash my hair twice a day. I can certainly attest that the transplanted hair once grown in is pretty much indestructable. I also serve as a volunteer firefighter so obviously the hair "takes a licking but keeps on ticking".

Gillenator, to answer your question about the "very fine strip grafts" they were just that. The doctor who did this was a local plastic surgeon with an impeccable reputation and credentials but who did not specialize in hair restoration (what did I know back then!). The objective was for the hairline to be unbroken. It healed and grew in fine but the problem remained that the previous plugs were still visible behind! This was remedied somewhat with the next proceedure 3 years later including "masking" with minis and micros.

Gillenator, I'm disappointed that you feel my goal of reducing the old scaring to the donor area is not realistic. I'm especially concerned because of the improvements I see other "veterans" achieving with the new closure techniques. I'm not sure what you mean by replenishing the donor with "BH graphs" but if it is what I think I would not even consider it. I would just like to clean up the old scarring somehow. My last Dr.berated me about the old scarring and for this reason I did not go back to him. The hair still gets fairly thick and bushy back there and as previously stated is thinned out by the barber at least every two weeks. Obviously though I could not go with a buzz cut.

I learned from this site that there is no substitute for a face to face consult and that geographic convenience should not be a deciding factor. We are fortunate though that 3 or 4 of the top docs reside in our fine state, home of the Bucaneers, Jaguars, Dolphins, Magic, etc.

PCC

PCC,

Yes indeed there are some very talented HT surgeons in your area and experienced and competent in repair work.

You know, I think my choice of words in response to your goal #4 was not the best. It's not that I think or stated that the scar revisions "were not" realistic, I believe I stated I was "unsure" only due to the fact that I have not seen you in person so I am always hesitant to offer any opinions about scarring "site unseen", and especially not being a doctor. If my choice of words offended you in any way, let me be the first to apologize. I did read your comments about how many procedures you have undergone and the dates, so obviously you have walked this road many times before.

The bottom line is that I truly hope and wish you the very best in acheiving your goals. It is always encouraging to see someone like yourself really take the time to research and think everything through. icon_wink.gif

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY