When to start scalp exercises??

Hey everyone,

was curious as to when one can start scalp exercises after a HT for a future scar reduction/possible HT? I am 6 months out from my last HT and the left side of my donar scar is pretty wide while the right side is perfect. I know during my last HT my skin was extremely tight on the left side and I made the error of not doing any scalp exercises before. My doc said that most likely the scar will be wider over there because of the tightness and he was right. Am thinking of sometime in the future going back in and getting the scar reduced and possibly getting some hair to dust my crown just so it's not baby butt smooth anymore.

Also, for you that did the scalp exercises did they help a lot, as far as your donor scar and as far as the amount of grafts able to be taken?

I just want to make sure that by doing the exercises I don't stretch the scar out anymore.

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

was curious as to when one can start scalp exercises after a HT for a future scar reduction/possible HT? I am 6 months out from my last HT and the left side of my donar scar is pretty wide while the right side is perfect. I know during my last HT my skin was extremely tight on the left side and I made the error of not doing any scalp exercises before. My doc said that most likely the scar will be wider over there because of the tightness and he was right. Am thinking of sometime in the future going back in and getting the scar reduced and possibly getting some hair to dust my crown just so it's not baby butt smooth anymore.

Also, for you that did the scalp exercises did they help a lot, as far as your donor scar and as far as the amount of grafts able to be taken?

I just want to make sure that by doing the exercises I don't stretch the scar out anymore.

Thanks!

Guest Cousin_It

T...

You should be just about healed beneath the skin. Though it appears 100% on the surface it can take 8-9 months before the strength of scar tissue is as strong as the adjacent tissue. So wait a bit more than get started on your exercises. Good Luck!

tkerr22,

I always err on the side of caution, however, I know Hasson and Wong stated that scalp exercises can begin at 6 months post op. Personally, though I hold them in the highest regard, I'm always a bit more conservative...as Cousin_It stated, I'd probalby wait until month 8 or so...just because I'd like to know for sure that I'm not stretching the scar...probably more of a mental thing.

Bill

tkerr22,

I partially attribute the sheer number of grafts Dr. Hasson was able to get to the scalp exercises, so yes, I'm glad I did them. It surely doesn't hurt to do them, so IMO, it's a good idea. I don't know if it helped with tightness afterwards, because honestly, my scalp felt and stil feels more tight than any other surgery I've received...but it was also very aggressive surgery compared to what I've gotten before. But, could you imagine if I didn't do the scalp exercises how tight I'd feel? Plus, I'm sure the number of grafts extracted would have been less.

Bill