Any good responders to a Finasteride along w/ transplant?

I recieved 1900 grafts from Dr Reed in La Jolla, CA back in July 06'. After getting a great transplant from him, I immediately started taking Proscar, cut into quarters for about the first 4 months.

I had some very solid growth during that time period. However, I made the mistake of discontinuing the Proscar after my initial prescription ran out and once I achieved a satisfactory result. This led to considerable thinning over the next several months (even though the transplanted hair remained). I then got back on Proscar back in April of this year and the hair rebounded within a few months.

So recently this month, I had another consultation with Dr Reed in order to assess what I could use for another session. My hair thinning pattern before any surgery was similar to Jack Nicholson's pattern from the movie '5 easy pieces' (1970).... thinning along the temples, top and sides.

Now, I've got considerable coverage but wet and combed back reveals some scalp seethrough. he analyzed my scalp and feels like there's room for another 1500 grafts. He showed me some photo's of my surgery day and noticed new growth near the back where he didn't transplant the hair and thinks I'm a good responder to Finasteride.

He suggested that I might want to delay having another session because more time on the Proscar may do much of the work I'm after. I've only been on it for 6 months and he said it takes about 2 years for Proscar to have it's maximum effect. He also said he noticed some other baby hairs in my scalp that he'd expect to thicken up. I understand his practical estimate. The trade-off is time vs grafts. Who else experienced similar??

I recieved 1900 grafts from Dr Reed in La Jolla, CA back in July 06'. After getting a great transplant from him, I immediately started taking Proscar, cut into quarters for about the first 4 months.

I had some very solid growth during that time period. However, I made the mistake of discontinuing the Proscar after my initial prescription ran out and once I achieved a satisfactory result. This led to considerable thinning over the next several months (even though the transplanted hair remained). I then got back on Proscar back in April of this year and the hair rebounded within a few months.

So recently this month, I had another consultation with Dr Reed in order to assess what I could use for another session. My hair thinning pattern before any surgery was similar to Jack Nicholson's pattern from the movie '5 easy pieces' (1970).... thinning along the temples, top and sides.

Now, I've got considerable coverage but wet and combed back reveals some scalp seethrough. he analyzed my scalp and feels like there's room for another 1500 grafts. He showed me some photo's of my surgery day and noticed new growth near the back where he didn't transplant the hair and thinks I'm a good responder to Finasteride.

He suggested that I might want to delay having another session because more time on the Proscar may do much of the work I'm after. I've only been on it for 6 months and he said it takes about 2 years for Proscar to have it's maximum effect. He also said he noticed some other baby hairs in my scalp that he'd expect to thicken up. I understand his practical estimate. The trade-off is time vs grafts. Who else experienced similar??

Zod,

Welcome to our community.

Propecia/Proscar works differently for everyone - but most importantly it seems that it is working well for you. Because it seems to have reversed the miniaturization process and has regrown some hair, I agree that using Proscar for at least a year (or two if that is Dr. Reed's advice) is a good idea to see if it regrows even more hair.

At that point - adding density with another hair transplant session may or may not be needed. Dr. Reed and yourself can then make a better determination on the next course of action.

Best wishes,

Bill

I started taking finasteride after my HT in January and it's made a noticeable difference in my crown. It's not a dramatic difference or anything like that - heck, it's only been 8 months - but there's noticeably more hair up there now than there used to be.

This is a good example of why many feel it is essential to stabilize hairloss prior to getting a HT. With this you can focus on the "non responsive' area's to the Propeica..

I might wait a bit until you see the response to the meds

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!