Stopping Propecia

Luminal

I've been taking Propecia for about a year and a half. I haven't really noticed any major change or difference so I'm starting to wonder if it is really worth the 60$ a month.

However, it is possible that if I was not taking Propicia my hairloss would be a lot worse. My question is, if Propecia has actually been preventing some of my hairloss and I stopped taking propecia, I will lose that hair that Propecia was preventing from falling right? If later on I notice that Propecia was in fact working, is there any chance that hair will grow back if I re-start taking propecia again?

Thanks,

Franco

I've been taking Propecia for about a year and a half. I haven't really noticed any major change or difference so I'm starting to wonder if it is really worth the 60$ a month.

However, it is possible that if I was not taking Propicia my hairloss would be a lot worse. My question is, if Propecia has actually been preventing some of my hairloss and I stopped taking propecia, I will lose that hair that Propecia was preventing from falling right? If later on I notice that Propecia was in fact working, is there any chance that hair will grow back if I re-start taking propecia again?

Thanks,

Franco

Originally posted by Luminal:

My question is, if Propecia has actually been preventing some of my hairloss and I stopped taking propecia, I will lose that hair that Propecia was preventing from falling right?

Yes. If you've kept anything because of taking Finasteride (Propecia), and you stop taking it, anything you've kept or gained will leave you pretty quick

If later on I notice that Propecia was in fact working, is there any chance that hair will grow back if I re-start taking propecia again?

Thanks,

Franco

I'll tell you what I've heard..........once it's gone it's much tougher to get it to grow back. You have a difficult decision to make. Before going off of Finasteride, I'd recommend you consult with the Doc who prescribed it for you to see if they can determine if it's helped you. For this reason, if a person is really interested in tracking the effectiveness of the drug, taking periodic pictures is a must.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.