been on propecia/rogaine for 5 weeks and i am shedding

chris_wellser

hi,

i been on propecia/rogaine for 5 weeks and i have noticed shedding. but i dont know if its because i have to gel/shampoo my hair to hide the scalp. i notice the shedding all over my head (crown and frontal hairline). i guess this means its working on the crown and front hairline?

chris,

listen to wanthairs; don't worry about it and remember it takes time to see results; Do not evaluate the results until the 1 year mark. Also, if you see no differance that is not a bad thing because the drugs are maintaining your existing hair. Maintaining native hairs is considered good results.

I can tell you for certain that Finasteride does work in the hairline...........I'm living proof icon_cool.gif!

Now, I'm not saying that the result I received was fantastic, or that the hair is of the same quality as my HT hair...........BUT, it definitely softens my HT hairline. And I'm sure it was due to the Finasteride as I only started it after HT #2 last Feb 2006 and the hairs that came in had not transplanted hair in them. For me it was a bonus as I was only counting on Finasteride for maintenance.

If you really want to track your progress, take pics. Hair growth is so gradual it will mostly look the same to you unless you do this.

Good luck,

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I'm guessing here as it's been a little while.........I think I started to see a little regrowth around 1 1/2 - 2 months which is really pretty quick by most accounts.

Shedding is the hair going into it's resting phase. The growth cycle has 3 phases:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Anagen - this is the growing phase, can last up to 1,000 days<LI>Catagen - This is the transitional phase and last for a week or two<LI>Telogen phase - this is the resting phase and usually lasts anywhere from 6 weeks to 2 months

So......shedding is a good thing, as it means that the hair has been kicked into the resting phase and should start coming back around the 6 week mark. It may mean you could see some regrowth along with it.......who knows? icon_confused.gif

Just hang in there and try to document your progress with pics..........you'll be glad you did.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.