Dr. Lawrence Shapiro

I would approeciate hearing from anyone who has had HT work done by Dr. "Lawrence" Shapiro in Hollywood, Fl.

Considering a procedure. Thanks.

I would approeciate hearing from anyone who has had HT work done by Dr. "Lawrence" Shapiro in Hollywood, Fl.

Considering a procedure. Thanks.

Dont, do not let this guy go near your head...I repeat, do not let this guy go near your head..you have been warned...YOU well need corrective surgery if you do.(i had no intention of posting anymore but you have brought me out of retirement...)...

No beating around the bush with the above email.

Direct & to the point. I like it. No wishy washy advice here.

As for Shapiro. Don't know. Guess take the advice of our friend and investigate through the better business bureau and the state medical board. Also, see if he's affiliated with any cosmetic surgery organizations. (Board certified with on of the hair restoration or/and cosmetic surgery societies helps.)

Good Luck.

My understanding is that the Better Business Bureau does not handle complaints about cosmetic surgery. The State medical boards are a good idea to check, but they are incomplete. What I mean is that they will only tell you if a doctor has been disciplined, but not if a bunch of people have complained. Keep in mind it is very very hard for a doctor to get to the point where he is disciplined by the state medical boards. So just because a doctor seems to have a clean slate with the state medical board does not mean he has no complaints against him.

There are no board certifications that actually help patients find a good hair transplant, in my opinion. Meaning that just because a doctor is board certified does not mean he does good work. Many bad doctors have been board certified.

It is very very difficult to tell which doctors are good or bad, hence the need for websites like this.

Make sure the doctor does an all-FU transplant. If you are getting a strip excision, make sure that the clinic dissects the donor strip with stereomicroscopes. Look at the section of the website "Best hair transplant" and maybe even print it out and ask the doctor if that is his approach. If so, ask him how long he has been using that approach. Avoid a clinic that uses Minigrafts, in my opinion.

Ask the doctor if you can meet some of his patients, and not just a few guys who happen to work at his office, either. Hopefully these are guys with a similar type of hair and amount of hair loss as you. Inspect their hair closely.

I have not heard good things about Lawrence Shapiro from other patients, on the internet.

[This message was edited by arfy on May 25, 2003 at 08:09 PM.]

He does mini and micros,lots of advertising..I went for a consultation....he drew a line on my forhead with a big black marker to show me where

the 2500 grafts would go...he would have made me a freak....I have been in other south florida ht doctors offices awaiting a consultation and seen some of his patients come in....scary frickin scary...he went for ONE seminar on ht and then opened his clinic the next weak....i dont need 2500 grafts, i only nees 5 to 700......RUN FOR THE HILLS MY FRIEND...RUN FOR THE HILLS.....RUN

FOR THE HILLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSS. GO ALMOST ANYWHERE ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by the way, when I say run for the hills run for the hills, run for the frickin hills, this is a gross understatement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A$$CLOWN: Your response is alarming, and unexpected.

What are the facts?

I saw red flags during my visit. Thanks for responding. But, facts, please. icon_confused.gif

Sounds like "Larry" does minis and micros and crappy hairlines.

Reason enough for me to "run for the hills".

GTS, if you saw "red flags" and A$$CLOWN is affirming that, then I'd say your decision is made: don't do an HT with Larry.

You've got much better choices for HT in Florida: Rose, Charles, and others would be much better choices in my book.

Visit them and see if any "red flags" come up. At that point, Larry Shapiro will probably be a distant memory.

Best of luck.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

Sounds like "Larry" does minis and micros and crappy hairlines.

Reason enough for me to "run for the hills".

GTS, if you saw "red flags" and A$$CLOWN is affirming that, then I'd say your decision is made: don't do an HT with Larry.

You've got much better choices for HT in Florida: Rose, Charles, and others would be much better choices in my book.

Visit them and see if any "red flags" come up. At that point, Larry Shapiro will probably be a distant memory.

Best of luck.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

================================================

Thanks, however, I still want to hear some solid information from A$$CLOWN.

regarding this particular ht doctor...I have seen his work....dont go there.hair direction is all wrong etc...Common knowledge with s fl docs the guy is a good marketer saying he does the latest techniques(mini and micro) but the work is not something you want on your head....went to a seminar on ht and opened an office next week.......Take a lear jet to the hills pal.That is it,youre on your own....Take a fricin rocket to hills guy...goodbye.

I was going to post and say that this clown is spitting nails about this doc and not backing it up with any facts. But after looking at the Doc's site, he does look as if he just started his biz and put a sign up in some strip mall and he does HTs. Check it out icon_rolleyes.gif

http://www.drshapiro.com/

Front page of his site>>>>>

Most Advanced Techniques in Hair Transplantation. No Salesmen, Meet Personally with Dr. Shapiro, Hair Transplant Physician.

As low as $3.00 per graft

Call or E-mail NOW for your FREE half hour video!

don't go just yet. I have some questions for you.

A) How long ago did you visit L. Shapiro?

B) When you were in the other waiting rooms, and saw the L.Shapiro people coming in for corrective work, how did you know that was what they were there for? And, how long ago was that?

C) When you visited L. Shapiro, were you pressured into leaving a deposit and making an appointment *before* your consultation with the Doctor?

D) Have you personally examined and talked to any of L. Shapiro's patients, and when?

E) You told me not to go to someone who is doing micros and minis, but isn't that what most are doing? I think I understand the basic drawbacks of micros and minis, and the advantage and expense of the fue process.

I would appreciate it if you would come out of retirement on this topic to answer these questions for me. I'm new at this.

Thanks much.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I think I understand the basic drawbacks of micros and minis, and the advantage and expense of the fue process.

I think you are confusing FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) with FU (Follicular Units). FUE is expensive, but you don't need to go with FUE in order to get FUs. Micro and minigrafts are a BAD, I repeat BAD idea - it will more likely than not look pluggy, and is considered to be a thing of a past. As far as the price, I don't think there is that much difference between FUs and micro, minigrafts, and I'm sure you'd gladly spend extra couple hundred dollars in order to get great results, as opposed to results that need to be fixed. Do youreslf a favor, don't pick a doc yet - do some reading first. Good luck.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

Ok I am another guy who consulted with Lawrence Shapiro and want to warn you to run for the hills as was suggested. Here was my experience:

I walked into his office and from minute one it was extremely high pressure. The entire time he is consulting with you he is running into various surgical rooms as he has multiple surgeries going on....it is the epitomy of a transplant mill.

He draws this thick black hairline on your head with a sharpie and hands you a mirror and leaves the room, as if to let you wallow in what could be. When he returns he has a sheet with their scheduling and insists you book a date. When you tell him you weren't really ready to actually schedule somehting he will tell you that they rarely offer the $3 per graft special and you had better get a date set or you will miss out. I flat out told him I couldn't care less about the "special" price and he looked at me stunned.

Anyway, there is little chance you will be able to get out the front door without leaving a $100 deposit, it is like a used car lot man. I gave them my damn credit card just so I could get out, and immediately called the next day to cancel.

Also, they advertise the latest techniques which is a joke. The guy is wreckless and irresponsible...stay as far away as you can from this guy.

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here if I may..

I called Dr Rob Jones' office on tuesday to speak with the nurse about some new questions I had about what to do and what NOT to do before surgery.

They advised she was unavailable at the moment. I said no problem, I just had some routine questions. The receptionist asked me to hold on a second.

The phone was picked up by Dr Jones who I chatted with about my questions and then casually told him I was getting anxious about "the big day".

He kindly asked if I was having second thoughts or wanted to cancel. I was VERY surprised as he seemed very genuine and NEVER once tried to make me feel silly for being nervous. I explained my nerves were from excitement and the unknown and that I was not thinking of cancelling.

As far as a deposit when I scheduled....they asked ME how much I wanted to put down to hold the date.

Very low pressure Doc indeed.

• 5 years later...

I can't comment on the other doctors posted on this thread, but you can read about my experience, it is under Dr Lawrence Shapiro posted on 4/24/09 I also added some pictures as proof hope this helps.