How long ?

Mahair

I had the stitches removed from the donor area yesterday. I told the doctor that I was concerned with the bumps on my temples and was told that it was part of the normal healing process and that they should settle down. Has anyone had bumpy transplants that settled down ? Should I beleive this ? After reading through the forum I am under the impression that redness and swelling are the common side effects other than shock loss which I have already had some of. Should I compromise the trust of this doctor and see another? I know it has only been two weeks but is there such a thing as a time frame for bumps?

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

I had the stitches removed from the donor area yesterday. I told the doctor that I was concerned with the bumps on my temples and was told that it was part of the normal healing process and that they should settle down. Has anyone had bumpy transplants that settled down ? Should I beleive this ? After reading through the forum I am under the impression that redness and swelling are the common side effects other than shock loss which I have already had some of. Should I compromise the trust of this doctor and see another? I know it has only been two weeks but is there such a thing as a time frame for bumps?

Bumpy grafts are more common with Mini and Micrografts... these are grafts that have not been trimmed under microscopes. Excess tissue can commonly result in a bumpy look.

Did you get true microscopically-dissected FU grafts? Most clinics do not use microscopes, they use "loops" which are head gear, and do not magnify as powerfully as a microscope.

If you had true FU grafts, it is extremely unlikely that you will have permanent bumpiness.

My understanding is that all grafts are slightly bumpy at first, but will level out if they are FU grafts.

Maybe someone who is personally familiar with an all-FU transplant can add some personal perspective...

Read the article "best hair transplant" if you do not understand the difference between FU grafts and other grafts.

Arfy ,thanks for the reply,I checked, they were not dissected with a microscope and the explanation was that the additional magnification was not nessesary I was told they were microdisected before I went ahead ,I hope I am not permenently scarred I have had a rough couple of weeks and am in despare over what I have done to myself, my eyes are still slightly black too.Is there anything that can be done at this point ?

Mahair,

If it makes you more comfortable, go see one of the recommended HT docs. I'm not sure where you're located, but it may give you some peace of mind instead of guessing at all the bad things that might happen. It is just as possible that everything is going to be alright and you are just having a rough first few weeks. I imagine that also makes it easier to be thinking the worst. If I were you I would go to a recommended HT doc from the list and get an opinion. It can't hurt, and it might help. Where are you located anyway?

Good luck.

Manko

I agree you should get some peace of mind by getting a follow-up visit from one of the recommended doctors, if possible.

Where are you located approximately, and who was your clinic (who told you microscopes weren't necessary)?

Also, getting HT can be unsettling for some people, and there can be a post-operative emotional roller coaster in some cases. Make sure you remain calm, take care of yourself, get plenty of rest, pamper your head, and follow all of the post-op procedures your doctor recommended. Do not panic, procede as if everything is going exactly as planned... it might very well be.

I am in the Boston area and was thinking of seeing Dr Leonard in Newton to get his opinion . I am hoping my worse fears are not real.I have a suspicion that I have been botched up pretty good every thing about this is a horror show so far and I guess there is no way to undo a bad transplant at least I wish I did not do the temples and could hide it better hanging in is getting tough .

Mahair,

The post op emotional roller coaster is real. I've never stated this publically, but I remember being in my hotel room after my surgery and thinking "what the hell have I done?" I was exhausted and let down emotionally. Of course, the first 4 to 5 months can be very trying (for most I believe) and has been stated here many times.

If your HT is indeed less than optimal, it is quite possible that it can be corrected (I am a prime example). Certainly, seeing a top doc will give you peace of mind in that regard.

I agree, try to relax and hang tough buddy!

Jim

"Temples 'n Crowns Forever"

Uncjim's Hair Loss WebLog