HT #3 in the books!

I had my 3rd HT done May 15. I originally posted under a different thread....I felt a bit uncomfortable starting a thread about myself, but I was encouraged to start one (through PM) by another forum member, so here goes. My surgery was done by Dr. James Aronovitz (from Tessler & Aronovitz in Southfield, MI) 12 days ago. Dr. Tessler did my first HT, Dr. Aronovitz has done my last two. Dr. Tessler is now retired. My surgery lasted 6-7 hours and used 2292 grafts (totaling roughly 8100 hairs). This time we concentrated on the crown and also added density to the anterior 2/3's. My wife took my sutures out 2 days ago so I'm feeling quite good now. All pain is long gone, not even using ibuprofen any more. Virtually all of the scabs are gone, too, but a lot of the hairs are still hanging on. I've posted before and after photos in my hair weblog. I'll also post some pics of the donor area as soon as I can get my wife to take them, and I'll try to add some on a monthly basis.

I would highly recommend Dr. Aronovitz for anyone in the Michigan area. Dr. Aronovitz removed and sutured the donor area, and made all of the incisions himself as the surgery progressed. His staff is very friendly and knowledgable. I was given (and recommend) valium prior to each surgery, so there was very little pain (at least none that I cared about). For those of you thinking about this, I would also recommend using a sleeping pill for the first couple of nights, it makes the nights much better....I used Restoril 30mg/night for two nights.

If anyone has any questions about Dr. Aronovitz, let me know. BTW, I do not work for Drs. Tessler & Aronovitz, nor do I work in the HT industry.

Miles

I had my 3rd HT done May 15. I originally posted under a different thread....I felt a bit uncomfortable starting a thread about myself, but I was encouraged to start one (through PM) by another forum member, so here goes. My surgery was done by Dr. James Aronovitz (from Tessler & Aronovitz in Southfield, MI) 12 days ago. Dr. Tessler did my first HT, Dr. Aronovitz has done my last two. Dr. Tessler is now retired. My surgery lasted 6-7 hours and used 2292 grafts (totaling roughly 8100 hairs). This time we concentrated on the crown and also added density to the anterior 2/3's. My wife took my sutures out 2 days ago so I'm feeling quite good now. All pain is long gone, not even using ibuprofen any more. Virtually all of the scabs are gone, too, but a lot of the hairs are still hanging on. I've posted before and after photos in my hair weblog. I'll also post some pics of the donor area as soon as I can get my wife to take them, and I'll try to add some on a monthly basis.

I would highly recommend Dr. Aronovitz for anyone in the Michigan area. Dr. Aronovitz removed and sutured the donor area, and made all of the incisions himself as the surgery progressed. His staff is very friendly and knowledgable. I was given (and recommend) valium prior to each surgery, so there was very little pain (at least none that I cared about). For those of you thinking about this, I would also recommend using a sleeping pill for the first couple of nights, it makes the nights much better....I used Restoril 30mg/night for two nights.

If anyone has any questions about Dr. Aronovitz, let me know. BTW, I do not work for Drs. Tessler & Aronovitz, nor do I work in the HT industry.

Miles

Miles,

Glad to see that you took the time to start a thread of your own. Yes, for other members and visitors, I was the guy that sent a PM to encourage Miles to post as I think that people in the Michigan area need to see more of the local talent.

Things look excellent with your results. This latest procedure looks like it was designed to add a lot of density and I'm quite certain that is going to be achieved. Miles has been quite accomodating to my request of certain photos. I like the fact that there are several angles and some photos with wet hair as it gives a really good idea of density and artistic quality.

I look forward to seeing your progress as I believe this is going to really make one hell of a huge cosmetic difference. Best of luck with the healing progress. Take care.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Miles,

Congratulations on your third HT.

I remember seeing your pictures before for your first couple HTs...it must have been on another forum? But I never really took the time to read all your specifics until now.

I do have to say I'm AMAZED by the number of 3 and 4 hair follicles that you have. This is NOT typical.

It appears that the grafts were placed relatively far apart. Is this because you were trying to gain overall density as opposed to focusing on one particular spot? Whereas dense packing is often appropriate, it is not always the case, depending on what is being accomplished. Clearly, grafts MUST be spaced out further if one is going for coverage or overall increased density.

I suppose I do wonder, however, why you didn't go for 1 or 2 larger sessions instead of 3 smaller ones? It sounds strange for me to ask this question for those of you who know me...because I've had 3 HTs, my first 2 of which being smaller sessions. But I suppose with experience came wisdom. I guess I believe more now the power of doing in fewer sessions what many have done in more sessions, now that I've seen many successful larger sessions.

I look forward to hearing more.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill,

To tell you the truth, I didn't know a whole lot about HT before my first two session. I didn't know about this forum until I got a letter from Dr. Tessler's secretary after my second HT.

I went for a consultation and they told me what they thought would be best. I was involved in which areas I wanted them to concentrate on, but the number of grafts and spacing were all left up to them. I guess if I'd known more, I would have asked for as many grafts to be done as possible. I assumed they got as many grafts as they could with each session, but I guess I don't know. I don't think I got screwed or anything, but if I were more informed prior to my first session, maybe I could have asked more (or different) questions.

I guess that is the power of this forum, it gives potential patients insight and critical information to assist them in their decisions. I must say, though, that I am still quite pleased with my results, even though it took three sessions.

I welcome other's opinions on this matter.

Miles

Milesdaily,

Thanks for your honesty. I was in the same boat as you. Whereas I know a lot about HT now, I certainly didn't when I first got started. But I think your results look good. Like me, even though we may not have gone the ideal route in the beginning, the RESULT is what really matters. You and I both have come a long way.

Keep us posted brother.

Bill

Although I agree with the philosophy of a larger session, there are always several other factors at play. Knowing your profession, I'll bet that it would have been difficult for you to get a larger session and go back to work in a short period of time without a hat. Many of us would love to just blast our head with as many FU as possible but it just isn't realistic for us to continue on with our lives.

I think that Dr. Aronovitz chose to space grafts as he did since you had already had 2 HT's and a lot of the hair we see is transplanted hair. It sounded like the main goal was density. I would think that this will definitely be achieved and the existing hair will blend nicely.

Soon you will have a pretty dense head of hair, but ofcourse the hairgreed thing is always lurking.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Bill, NN,

Yes, the goal of this session was increased density in the front and coverage for the crown. NN has a good point. It would have been more difficult for to come back to work after a "megasession" as soon as I did. Also, I'm a real wuss when it comes to pain, and this last session, being the largest, hurt bad enough. After looking at your pics, Bill, I can only imagine the pain you felt with the extent of your incision. Mine goes to right above my ears, whereas yours continues a couple inches further on both sides.

I also hate to bring this up (I know it's sensitive and has been discussed ad nauseum in another thread) but I think with the number of 3's and 4's done, the hair count is probably pretty similar to those with larger graft counts but more 1's and 2's. I guess it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish -- hairlines will require a lot of 1's to make it look natural, where density behind the hairline can use the larger hair-count grafts. You are right ,though, Bill, that the end result is all that matters and I think we will both turn out very happy.

NN, one other thing, Dr. Aronovitz told me that almost all of the hair in front is now transplanted hair. Either through shock loss or natural "decay" (ha, ha), or more likely both, most of my native hair is gone. Meaning I would probably be pretty bald by now! I might even have a combover...GASP! (I tried to put one of those animated smiley faces here, but I can't for some reason).

Miles

also hate to bring this up (I know it's sensitive and has been discussed ad nauseum in another thread) but I think with the number of 3's and 4's done, the hair count is probably pretty similar to those with larger graft counts but more 1's and 2's. I guess it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish -- hairlines will require a lot of 1's to make it look natural, where density behind the hairline can use the larger hair-count grafts. You are right ,though, Bill, that the end result is all that matters and I think we will both turn out very happy.

Actually the number of 3 and 4 grafts (4s especially) you have, any clinic would agree, that you have a significant number of them.

I won't get into the debate about sub-dividing follicular units here icon_wink.gif

Bill

Bill,

Do you have any idea what the average percentage of 1's-2's vs. 3's-4's is? Mine calculates to 28% 1's-2's and 78% 3's-4's. Are there any advantages/disadvantages of having a higher percentage of one group vs. the other, or does it really depend on what one is trying to accomplish?

BTW, I know the newly transplanted hairs have to go, but it is still sad to find them all over my pillow in the morning!

Thanks for your insight and information, and for taking the time to answer my questions.

Miles

Miles,

I couldn't give you percentages especially since everyone is different...however, typically people seem to have more singles and doubles, a decent number of 3s, and fewer 4s. Some people have no 4s, and others have many 4s (like you).

There is actually an advantage IMO to having more larger size FUs since it inevitablly equals more hairs on top of your head. Proper placement of the larger FUs is critical, however, as you wouldn't want to have them transplanted in the hairline which would give you a pluggy look.

Bill