Scarring question

What actually makes a scar a scar? Or, perhaps more accurately asked, what makes the scar visible and detectable?

Is it merely the fact that there is a linear area out of which no hair is growing? Or does the skin take on a different characteristic to make it stand out from the area around it?

This has probably been discussed before, but with a really meticulous tricho closure after the "final" transplant, could one then transplant hair to the scar area?

Also, with a good surgeon, at what level guard (#1, 2, 3, 4) could one shave one's head on the back and sides and not notice the scar, on average?

1.25 mg finasteride EOD

Rogaine Foam 5% QD am

Kirkland minoxidil 5% QD pm

Nizoral Q2W

American Crew Revitalize Shampoo

What actually makes a scar a scar? Or, perhaps more accurately asked, what makes the scar visible and detectable?

Is it merely the fact that there is a linear area out of which no hair is growing? Or does the skin take on a different characteristic to make it stand out from the area around it?

This has probably been discussed before, but with a really meticulous tricho closure after the "final" transplant, could one then transplant hair to the scar area?

Also, with a good surgeon, at what level guard (#1, 2, 3, 4) could one shave one's head on the back and sides and not notice the scar, on average?

1.25 mg finasteride EOD

Rogaine Foam 5% QD am

Kirkland minoxidil 5% QD pm

Nizoral Q2W

American Crew Revitalize Shampoo

Rick,

Great questions and I'll answer some of them. I'm sure other members will also give their input as well.

Anytime the skin is penetrated, a scar is formed. If you have ever cut yourself open anywhere, you will notice that when a scar forms, it is typically a bit different in color and texture than your normal skin. Depending on how it heals, sometimes the scar is a bit raised.

All of the same principles apply with the donor scar however, because the wound is closed in such a way to aid proper healing, often times, the scar is not raised however, there is certainly a risk of that.

With the trichophytic closure technique, the wound is overlapped in such a way where natural hair can grow through the scar which helps camoflauge it. But because there was once a wound there, the scar still exists, it's just simply less visible.

In the hands of an elite hair transplant surgeon and assuming good patient healing characteristics and no donor scar stretching, the scar will most likley be pencil thin and you can wear your hair pretty short on the sides and back. Some have even been able to get away with shaving down to a 2 clip without revealing the scar. Me personally, after 3 hair transplant surgeries, I can shave down to a 3 or 4 clip without revealing any evidence of a scar.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Bill is right on with his comments. Ifyou are interested see my comments on scar pinkness on this forum that I just posted.

Essentially scars are caused as fibroblasts migrate into wounds to deposit collagen and elastin after trauma. Over deposition leads to abnormal scar formation and can be related to your genes, excessive wound tension, local irritation, and other health issues.

William Lindsey MD, RESTON VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

If you mean "does an existing scar predict future scars?" the answer is that is a pretty good predictor. Variables include the surgical site, wound tension, use of deep sutures, and postop stretching(see another posting I did a few weeks ago on limiting swimming after surgery).

Generally a good scar the first time in will get replaced with another good scar; and a moderately poor scar may be replaced with a good scar; but a keloid once will likely be a keloid on subsequent procedures.

W Lindsey MD

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians