Advice Needed

Ironman

Let's start with the background info. I'm 23 years old and have been losing my hair since about 18/19 years old. I've been taking something(first Rogaine, then Propecia) since I was about 20 and although I'm sure that the medication has helped to reduce my hair loss, I've still been losing hair. I have a noticable bald spot and the hair in the first few inches of the front of my hair is pretty sparse. I comb it forward and you can tell that my hair is thinning, but it's not horrible yet(if I weren't surrounded by other kids with full heads of hair I "might" not mind so much).

Anyway, I've spoken with two doctors about getting a hair transplant already(Dr. Nusbaum and Dr. Sorrel Resnik, both in Miami) and am seriously considering the procedure. I have substantial fears about having a weird looking head of hair as I age and lose more. My grandparents have told me that they'll cover any costs of a transplantation, so that's not a concern. Also, I'm not really comfortable with the fact that all that can be done for me is filling in the front to be more dense. Sometimes I look at my hair and think that the difference wouldn't be worth it and other times I see my hair and can't wait for the day when my hair feels normal again.

Regarding the thickness of my hair, it's not very dense on top, has solid thickness on the sides, and is very dense in the back. I have a family history of baldness on both sides of my family and both my father and uncle would be very high(6 or 7) on the scale of baldness(it's all women on my mom's side, but even most of them have seen their hair start to thin).

Any advice or suggestions anyone can give me would be very appreciated. At the present I'm leaning towards not getting the transplantation done, mainly because of the fear of long-term damage and the benefits that can be gotten from waiting for some future breakthrough in the field.

Let's start with the background info. I'm 23 years old and have been losing my hair since about 18/19 years old. I've been taking something(first Rogaine, then Propecia) since I was about 20 and although I'm sure that the medication has helped to reduce my hair loss, I've still been losing hair. I have a noticable bald spot and the hair in the first few inches of the front of my hair is pretty sparse. I comb it forward and you can tell that my hair is thinning, but it's not horrible yet(if I weren't surrounded by other kids with full heads of hair I "might" not mind so much).

Anyway, I've spoken with two doctors about getting a hair transplant already(Dr. Nusbaum and Dr. Sorrel Resnik, both in Miami) and am seriously considering the procedure. I have substantial fears about having a weird looking head of hair as I age and lose more. My grandparents have told me that they'll cover any costs of a transplantation, so that's not a concern. Also, I'm not really comfortable with the fact that all that can be done for me is filling in the front to be more dense. Sometimes I look at my hair and think that the difference wouldn't be worth it and other times I see my hair and can't wait for the day when my hair feels normal again.

Regarding the thickness of my hair, it's not very dense on top, has solid thickness on the sides, and is very dense in the back. I have a family history of baldness on both sides of my family and both my father and uncle would be very high(6 or 7) on the scale of baldness(it's all women on my mom's side, but even most of them have seen their hair start to thin).

Any advice or suggestions anyone can give me would be very appreciated. At the present I'm leaning towards not getting the transplantation done, mainly because of the fear of long-term damage and the benefits that can be gotten from waiting for some future breakthrough in the field.

Ironman:

Definitely talk to Dr Rose. He'll give you a no BS assessment of the situation. That I can guarantee. That is worth a lot in my book.

You are in a tough boat with hairloss all over your family tree. I'm glad you are fighting the impulse to "just do it" and are thinking long term. That is a smart approach in my book.

Still doesn't change the fact you'd like more hair and to persue a solution that will help you now and won't screw you later.

People here know I went conservative, but I'm still quite happy with the results. You'd be surprised how happy you'd be from NW-Sucksville to NW-NotSoBad.

My suggestion is to stay on the drugs for sure. Talk to a few top docs if feasible, and if you do decide, go conservative with plenty of FUs on the top.

You are fighting genetics -- it is a losing and unending battle. But you can still improve things it you are prudent and are happy with some improvement over dramatic improvement.

This is pretty much the same advice I'd give any young patient. It is the right advice to give.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

Thanks for the advice so far. I have a few questions that have come up for me after reading a bunch of threads on this message board.

What's the main differences in the type of hair transplantation done? I understand that one kind doesn't leave a noticable scar but that it's more expensive and fewer surgeons are good at it. Is the latter factor so big that it's easier to get a well done transplant done in the other method, or does the lack of scarring(for those who like it cut close on the back and sides like I do) make up for the fact. And are the most recognized doctors who perform the more exact surgery reasonably priced(relative to other doctors who use that method)?

I've been taking Propecia for about 13 months now, but it's pretty expensive. I've heard about Proscar(sp?) on this board and was wondering if it's proven to be as good at stunting hair loss and about it's much lower cost. Also, is using both Rogaine and a pill better than either method alone? I hated the stickiness of Rogaine so much that I only put it on at night, but I guess I could wake up a little earlier and put it on in the morning if it would help me keep what hair I have.

Ironman:

Let me address the drug issue.

Proscar is 5mg of finasteride and Propecia is 1mg. Cutting Proscar into 4s or 5s will do the trick just as well as Propecia, and save you quite a bit of money.

The results are irrefutable -- certainly in my case. I need to post updated picts, but my balding crown is no longer that way. Quarter Proscar a day is a miracle worker in my book.

Rogaine and finasteride's (Propecia) effects can be synergistic. Rogaine promotes hair growth by stimulating blood flow to hair follicles.

Sometimes, the combination of Rogaine and finasteride can be quite impressive.

I'm like you, I find Rogaine a pain in the ass to apply. I haven't stuck with it. I have stuck with Propecia and the results are quite good.

I know, I know, I should stick with the Rogaine too. I'll try to be more disciplined!

Hope this helps.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

Ironman,

I know how you feel. I was your age when I had my first HT. Alot of people here will tell you to do nothing now because you're too young. I would probably agree with that. Dr Jones once commented that he's never seen someone in their 30's or 40's that was glad that they had HT's in their early 20's.(paraphrased) The point is, if you're losing hair now YOU WILL LOSE MORE HAIR. You will have to have more surgeries to keep up. It can cost a lot of money. If you go with a strip surgery, you will never be able to shave your head should you decide that you can't keep up with HT's. Then your stuck.

Having said all of that, listen to what the doctors say. Go see Dr Rose. Take pictures and send them to every doc that you think might be a candidate. Take your time and come here often. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I just wish someone had told me these things before I started. HT's are a big commitment.Good luck.

ts808-

I understand the commitment of having a transplant done, so I don't mind that you're trying to be front up with me regarding your opinion. Short-term I know that a transplant would probably do some good for both my appearance and self confidence, but long-term it may be a detriment to both if the worst case scenario occurs. That's why I will think long and hard about any permanent decision I end up making.

vocor-

Thanks for the drug advice. Do you think I could just contact one of the doctors that I've seen about a transplant in order to get a prescription to Proscar? Also, is it hard to cut into 4ths or 5ths or is it relatively easy to cut into smaller pieces?

Ironman:

You could contact a doctor about a Propecia prescription, but it isn't necessary.

You can go to one of many "internet pharmacies" where you can get a script for Proscar if you provide them with some info.

I got my Proscar at prescriptionskeywest.com. There are other place you can go to, but they are who I buy from.

I'd say cutting into 1/4s with a pill cutter is a snap. Don't worry about exact dosage -- an approximation will do.

Cutting into 1/5s will probably be challenging because of the pentagonal shape of the Proscar pill. But give it a shot if you want!

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

vocor-

Okay. I'll try getting a prescription from an actual doctor(in person, I mean) when I go back down to Miami in a month or so. If that doesn't work(for whatever reason) then I'll go the internet route. BTW, where do you get a pill cutter?

Ironman:

Rite-Aid for about $8. I'm sure you can pick it up at any local major drug store. Just ask for it by name, they know what you are talking about.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

Well, I just made an appointment to see Dr. Rose in Tampa on May 1st. I just wanted a respected surgeon to take a look at my hair and give me an honest(hopefully) opinion of what a transplant could do for me now and if I choose to wait a few years. I also would like to get a prescription for Proscar, since Propecia is expensive and I'd like to cut the cost given that I'll be paying for it myself soon(right now my mom covers it).

Ironman:

I think you made a good choice. Best of luck to you and let us know how things turn out.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

vocor-

Thanks for the help. I'll definitely keep the board updated on my plans since everyone who's answered this thread has helped me out in piecing together a decision about my hair.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Ironman

I have had a consultation with Dr. Rose already and I am consider Dr. Nusbaum as well. I see that you have met with both (or at least were supposed to see Rose on May 1st).

How would you compare the two? I have yet to meet Nusbaum in person, but I was thoroughly impressed with Rose. What was your impression of Nusbaum compared to Rose?

Thanks!

ted-

I was also "thouroughly impressed with Dr. Rose". I felt comfortable in his office and if I go ahead with the procedure he would be my doctor.

As for Dr. Nusbaum, I'm sure that he's a very capable surgeon, but something rubbed me the wrong way when I saw him. Maybe it was the bad news that my hair sucked, since I only saw him to please my mother and to get a propecia prescription. Unfortunately I can't place for you what exactly left me uneasy, but it's just the way I felt. It'll probably be different for you, but I definitely liked Dr. Rose more.

Hi arfy,

Yes I know exactly what you mean. I once went to an eye doctor for contact lenses and he asked if I had my old RX from my last Doctor that did my eyeglasses. I said yes but I need to be re-checked and fitted for contact's. He said he just wanted to see what the last doctor found in his exam.

Needless to say the old eyeglasses were off (the right len's) and so was the right len's of the new contact's. A third Doctor found the mistake of the last two doctor's by doing his own exam.

Well that's kinda the same as what you said...LOL

But you know that I know what you ment...Ya know

Ironman - Thanks for your insight. That's kind of what I was thinking, and I am strongly leaning towards Dr. Rose anyway. So now that just clinches the deal for me. He's a little bit more expensive than Nusbaum, but as we all know... money should never be the deciding factor.

Billorbob - If you plan to visit Dr. Rose in Tampa, you'll want to plan your trip for the first two weeks of any month. He typically splits his time between Tampa and Minneapolis, and his office told me that he's usually in Tampa for the first two weeks of the month, and then in Minneapolis the second two weeks.

ted-

You're still going to visit Dr. Nusbaum, right? I don't want you to cement any decisions(I realize that you were already leaning that way) based on my recommendation, as I was somewhat younger and infinitely less aware when I met with Dr. Nusbaum. Still, having met both, Dr. Rose made me feel a lot more comfortable than Dr. Nusbaum(and was even nice about me being a half hour late to my consultation).

Ironman

It wasn't completely your feedback that swayed my decision, but yes, I have decided on Dr. Rose for my procedure.

I have been in contact with his office throughout this week and they have been so accomodating and responsive. I have not visited Dr. Nusbaum in person, but I did have a fairly extensive email consult with him. I was impressed with his expertise and his treatment plan, and I am quite confident that he is fully qualified, but the whole experience seemed more business-like than with Rose, who really left me with the impression that the business side of it was secondary, and that he was most interested in creating truly aesthetically pleasing hair restoration.

Besides this, Nusbaum was not available until mid-August, and due to various project timelines at work, that time is just not feasible for me. So those two factors combined led me to choose Rose, and I am sure I will be happy with that decision. I am scheduled for a procedure the first week of August.

I've had two procedures with DR. Rose 2300 towards the front, and 1870 mid scalp and crown. The hairline looks so amazingly natural there is no way anybody can tell I had a transplant.I think this is one of the most important things we look for is naturalness.

mehani-

I would love to see some pictures if you'd be so kind as to provide them. If not on the board, then maybe through e-mail. Just let me know if that's okay and I'll post my e-mail address on here so you could send me some pics.