Pimples, Shockloss, Bumps after HT

Hi guys,

It's been 3 weeks after my HT and I am getting zits on my transplanted area. I think I have experienced shockloss too because some of the transplanted hairs came off after about 3 1/2 weeks! I can see the tiny holes and I'm getting bumps and zits. Is this normal? Should I put pimple creams on my head? I just don't want to plug it up if it needs to grow. Help!

Hi guys,

It's been 3 weeks after my HT and I am getting zits on my transplanted area. I think I have experienced shockloss too because some of the transplanted hairs came off after about 3 1/2 weeks! I can see the tiny holes and I'm getting bumps and zits. Is this normal? Should I put pimple creams on my head? I just don't want to plug it up if it needs to grow. Help!

perfectly normal; that is a good sign that "stuff" is happenning;in my experiences with zits, i just left them alone and let nature takes its course; just keep the area clean; i don't think the cream would hurt anything per say, but I didn't worry too much about them cosmetically because I could hide them with my native hair.

It sounds like the shedding has started (shockloss is when your native hairs fall out after a ht for a brief period). Pimples on the recipient area are called folliculitus, which can be normal up to a point. There is a technique of applying warm compress to the pimples to help rid the pimples faster than letting nature take it's course. There are medications to treat it as well if it gets bad. I'm sure Dr. Alexander has a protocol for this if the pimples bother you.

Hi MPA,

I went through extended redness and pimples post surgery as well. I was eventually prescribed antibiotics due to the pimples but all was well. It is indeed a normal part of the process so you should not worry but do keep your doc posted on the status of the pimples to ensure the area does not get infected.

HIGA

2400 Grafts with Dr. Epstein 11/8/06

Nizoral 3X/week

Rogaine foam 2x/day