Post op Day 3

Hoping some of you can help with my questions: Just had my first procedure on Monday the 30th 1,600 graphs placed in the frontal area and crown. How many days for the discomfort to stop? The pain is mostly around my incesion in the back and sides. I also have numbness on the top of my head, will that go away. I have to say, I'm hoping one procedure is enough, I don't know if I'd do it again. Lot's of needles. How many days do you think it will be for me to not have to where a hat? Thanks everyone, this is a great site!

Hoping some of you can help with my questions: Just had my first procedure on Monday the 30th 1,600 graphs placed in the frontal area and crown. How many days for the discomfort to stop? The pain is mostly around my incesion in the back and sides. I also have numbness on the top of my head, will that go away. I have to say, I'm hoping one procedure is enough, I don't know if I'd do it again. Lot's of needles. How many days do you think it will be for me to not have to where a hat? Thanks everyone, this is a great site!

waggy,

Welcome to the forum. Who did your HT if you don't mind my asking? You really shouldn't have more pain than Tylenol 3 (or something similar) to handle. If you do, I'd call your Doc.

The numbness takes time to go away and everyone's different. Personally, I think I had the majority of the feeling back in my scalp after 2-3 months or so while much of it came back after the first month.

Where were you on the Norwood scale before the HT? I ask because 1600 grafts by todays standards isn't that many grafts. Do you have before and after pics of your work you can post?

Are you taking propecia or doing anything else for loss prevention?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

The tylenol helps for sure, no propecia, tried it for a week and had a side effect I didn't want to have and it's expensive and I was told once you stop taking you lose whatever you gained. On the Norwood scale I'm between a 3v and a 4. The center was Nuhart. I also wanted a gradual look, I wasn't looking to get a full head of hair back, just a little preventive if that makes sense? Thank you for your help.

I had the same number of grafts....I used a lot of pain killers in the week-10 days following the operation. Don't be shy about popping those pain pills.

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

Waggy,

I had the same amount of graphs. I also wanted a natural look, with a slight recession. Most of the pain will go away once the stitches are out. The best thing to do is keep that area clean and dry. I used bactine antiseptic spray (alcohol free) on my donar area. It helped a lot with the pain and itching, and it kept the area clean and dry. The peroxide the doc recommended turned my hair orange, did nothing for the pain, so I stopped using it and switched to the bactine spray. You should be able to wear hats now, just as long as they aren't too tight and rubbing the graphs and scar area. I wore soft knit hats for a while before I could wear caps.

Thank you for the response, today less pain but still uncomfortable and lots of itching...also just started to get swelling in my forehead. Used ice pack last night but didn't seem to help. Can hardly wait for day 10 to get the stitches out. Once the stitches are out, can you resume normal shampooing or do you still have to be careful not to knock out the graphs? I guess how long before the graphs are secure? Thanks for your help.

Waggy, get that Bactine spray!!! It really helps with the pain and itching. My head was swollen during that first week, the ice really didn't help me either. The doc gave me pills for the fluid. Yes, you can resume normal shampooing after the stitches are out. I used baby shampoo for a few weeks. The graphs are secure by the end of the first week.

Just an interesting note:

I was actually told by Hasson and Wong that ice on the forehead is pointless since the swelling actually comes from the fluid that was injected in your head during the surgery. I didn't use any ice at all for this surgery, had more grafts than any other surgery, and actually experienced less swelling.

Bill

No Ice here and surprisingly just used the pain pills sparingly and before I went to sleep.

I think this is individual though, as far as pain tolerance, swelling, bruising, etc....

As long as you do not apply much pressure or any "scraping" to the grafts you should be ok.

If ice to the forehead or ice to the back of your head feels good, then you should do it.

I know for the itching I sprayed Graftcyte until my head dripped!!!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks Bill, the swelling isn't on my forehead but near my temples, I look disformed but hoping it goes away soon. I looked at your pictures, they look great, I think you just need to grow it long enough to cover your scars and no one would no you got HT, looks good short.