Scalp exercises pre HT

Hey guys, so exactly one month from today, one day after the big E3 convention and 2 days after my last E3 party, I will be in Dr DeYarmans office for a 2000+ graft HT. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

This time (2nd HT for me) I want to do some scalp exercises to loosen up my scalp so that I wont get the stretching i received from my last ht, when i did not do the exercises.

any ideas what i should do? I was just massaging but if anyone has a good regime, lemme know!

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

Hey guys, so exactly one month from today, one day after the big E3 convention and 2 days after my last E3 party, I will be in Dr DeYarmans office for a 2000+ graft HT. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

This time (2nd HT for me) I want to do some scalp exercises to loosen up my scalp so that I wont get the stretching i received from my last ht, when i did not do the exercises.

any ideas what i should do? I was just massaging but if anyone has a good regime, lemme know!

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

4 times a day due scalp excercises for 5-10 min. each.

Start with the sides by putting both hands above your ears and move the scalp up and down (5 min).

Then do the back donor area by clasping you hand together behind your head and move your hands up and down causing your scalp to move in the direction (I like to pause a second on each move to get a little extra stretch). I started this 2 months before surgery, some start 6 months others just a month.

If your a repeat HT patient, then it is worth doing it.

Best of luck.

• 6 months later...
Originally posted by GuitarPlayer:

Just came across this old thread. Do any of the top docs endorse these scalp exercises?

Yes, these (similar) instructions are mentioned in Feller Medical's pre-op instructions (see fellermedical website).

PB

Originally posted by GuitarPlayer:

Just came across this old thread. Do any of the top docs endorse these scalp exercises?

Dr. A recommends scalp stretch exercises.

But he advises a pinching or a rolling motion in the scalp donor area.

I noticed a remarkable increase in the elasticity/pliability of the donor areas with just 2 weeks of these exercises.

Here's an excerpt from his site.

How to get the most out of your hair transplant surgery?

2.In case you are proceeding with a strip FUHT procedure, your biggest concern would be the width of the strip scar in your donor area. The one factor whereby you can help in making the strip scar really thin is by trying to increase the elasticity of the donor area of your scalp. This you can do by a few simple exercises daily for a few days before your hair transplant. You can massage the skin in the donor area i.e. just behind and between both your ears. You can gently roll, pinch or pull the skin to get the benefits. And you can do it at any time of the day. A few days of this massaging has been known to increase the scalp elasticity in the donor area significantly. Increased scalp elasticity helps by reducing the chances of widening of the strip suture line.

Bad plug grafts from Mumbai.

Undergoing repair HT from Dr. Arvind, New Delhi.

2500 FU grafts + 35 chest hair grafts in June 05.

Originally posted by JW:

Approximately how many minutes a day did you do these scalp rolling execises? And thanks for this great hint.

Cant say how many minutes per day. I was told by the doctor to keep doing it whenever I remembered. So, I just kind of kept pinching and rolling my scalp.

Now that I look back, some of the colleagues thought I may be suffering from neck pain and was massaging the area. icon_smile.gif

Bad plug grafts from Mumbai.

Undergoing repair HT from Dr. Arvind, New Delhi.

2500 FU grafts + 35 chest hair grafts in June 05.