Propecia and muscle development

I've started taking Propecia and I have a few concerns about how it interacts with my hormones. I know about the reduced libido and unlikely side effect of breast enlargment, but how does it affect muscle development?

I lift weights regularly with the intention of building and maintaining bulk. Is this going to change that by making it harder to build or keep muscle mass? Thanks in advance for any help.

thinningvan,

propecia limits the production of DHT from Testosterone(T). So, it increases the level of T. T is a good musle builder but it is not as good as DHT. DHT is 2.5% better than T in muscle building. But don't worry. There won't be too much difference in mass gaining.

But when DHT levels are less there is chance that you may be effected by the levels of estrogen such as enlarged breast,decreased libido etc. Estrogen is also inhibited from Testosterone. You need to keep your body fat as low as possible to keep the estrogen levels low.

Ravi Vide

I went on Proscar about six months ago. I have lost about 15 pounds (divorce) but the interesting thing is my muscle mass is up quite a bit (strength also) and I wasn't overweight to begin with.

I think it is the Proscar with the additional training.

I have been lifting free weights and hitting it heavy almost 4-5 times a week. I am 43, 170 pounds and bench 225 pds three to four times per set (heaviest). I kind of shake my head some times as this is really good for me.

I would assume so, but to be honest, I don't think your Testosterone level goes up enough to have those kinds of side effects, just enough for you to notice if you train alot etc... Proscar has a very short life span in your system, so pretty easy to reverse if you don't like the side effects if any.

Your call, good luck whatever you decide.