finastride (propecia) and thyroxine

Uk_lad

Hi all, im currently on thyroxine, i have tried finastride (about a month), and found that i had slight ache in the nuts (nothing serious), but felt a fastened heart beat, so stopped. My trichologist suggested cutting the tablet into 1/2, but i just decided to stop taking it (when giving me the tablets, he never informed me of any possible side affects). Now im thinking of going back on it, and just wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing or has any advice? is it ok to mix thyroxine and fiastride (propecia)

UK_lad,

A potential side effect of finasteride is testicular pain. I'm not too familiar with thyroxine, but I'm not aware of any medication that can't be combined with finasteride. Be sure however, to check with your doctor.

I agree that taking half the recommended dosage may be worthwhile to see if it minimizes or eliminates the testicular pain.

Best wishes,

Bill

UK Lad

As Bill said testicular pain is one of the side effects of finasteride. I used the PDR.net drug interaction search to see if there is any know interaction with Finasteride and Thyroxine and it came up negative.

Possibly the fact that you were having a side effect from the finastieride which sounds upleasant to me caused some anxiety and thus a fastened heart beat.

Hopefully, if you go back on Finasteride with the small dose you won't have any testicular pain. There is some evidence that Finastiride works if you take it less often(such as every other day) and that may also help decrease any possible side effects.

Good luck

Dr. Paul

UK lad when i first got advodart i took 1 a day after 3 days my whole unitary system was in pain,my balls didnt drop off like i thought

whati didnt know was it was 5 mg and you had to cut it up, i just thought same as Propecia one a day,

thanks to sites like this i am educating myself day by day,

drink lots of water now and continue 1/2 a day, in a few days, if you still get pain stop

brings another point up, can you take half 5mg proscar every other day as i cant cut it in 4 equal pieces its easier into 2,