Hair cutting tips after HT?

I am fast approaching 1 month post op and I really really need a hair cut. I still have some scabs but I need to cut hair as it is too long and scabs are becoming more difficult to see or get caught.

Is it advisable to ask the barbar to use scissors initially or is machine blade ok? I'm worried it may disturb the grafts.

gtz101,

It's ok to get a haircut one month after surgery. However, I'd be real careful about having a barber use clippers over the scabs. Scissors on top may be the best until the scabs are gone. Also, if your donor area is still a little tender (like mine was), you may want to tell the barber to be gentle with the clippers in the donor region.

All the Best,

Bill

A good tip is to wash your hair yourself in advance as you do not want them washing and massaging your scalp. Tell them to be very careful around both your donor area and recipient area, using scissors only and to trim just a small amount at a time so that you can still hide both areas.

Personally, I went to a high-end hair stylist that I didn't know located out of town so I could use full disclosure without any fear. Of course, this brings with it other challenges, but I've found that with this full disclosure, they are *very* cautious.

Good luck!

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

At one month your grafts can not be "disturbed." Also at one month you should not have scabs anymore. Perhaps you need to be a little more aggressive with your shampooing to remove them.

Like Bill said, just communicate with your barber about the HT and your concerns. He/she is the one person who you can't really hide it from anyway.