HT before you lose it all?

Just wanted to see if anyone else is concerned or obsessing about this too. I am a NW5+ with just enough native hair on top that I could pull off a ht without it being noticed, but I feel like the longer I wait and the more I lose that it would be harder to conceal the ht if I was slick bald. Im on propecia and still researching but I just seem to be dwelling on this issue.

Thanks,

Just wanted to see if anyone else is concerned or obsessing about this too. I am a NW5+ with just enough native hair on top that I could pull off a ht without it being noticed, but I feel like the longer I wait and the more I lose that it would be harder to conceal the ht if I was slick bald. Im on propecia and still researching but I just seem to be dwelling on this issue.

Thanks,

I think the key issue here is the stabilizing of your existing hair.. You are on Propecia so that is a start.. Whether you get it done sooner or later really is a mute point..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I'll disagree with the other two just a little, as I have some native hair and it was concealed perfectly. No one would ever know I've had it done now, or even three days afterward.

But, if you're like 26 or so I'd go to a reputable doc as you could end up looking pretty funny if it's not planned out right.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Hey NJ,

My personal opinion is that at your stage of hair loss whether to go now or later is a personal choice. I think that at 5+ you are bald in most people's eyes. what I did was keep it very short so that no one really new the extent of the loss. Then when I did go for my procedure it was like letting my hair gradually grow long so no one really noticed at all. If you can keep yoru hair short for some time I don't think anyone will notice when you finally get a transplant. So, you could wait and when your finally do get a procedure and hair grows in you simply say you just let it grow out more.

Yeah I'm sure we've all obsessed about the same issue at one point or another, you are definitely not alone.

HIGA

2400 Grafts with Dr. Epstein 11/8/06

Nizoral 3X/week

Rogaine foam 2x/day

Thanks to all..

Spex- Yes, I do need to meet with a couple docs and Dr F. is on the top of my list.(I'm 3 hrs away)

HIGA- I'm 32 and have similar thoughts as you, keeping it short now and obviously would then grow it out after the HT.

I believe I understand your concern. Many times doctors suggest waiting for surgery so that the pattern baldness becomes more established. Now, that can make a good degree of sense, however, in your case, it sounds as though your hair loss pattern (in term of the surface area on the scalp) is established. I imagine that a surgeon would be able to assess your case and, furthermore, predict your worse case scenario. With this information, you and your doc should be able to plan your restoration and properly allocate your donor hair. You may find that, after you do the necessary consults with your top-choice-docs, it is really up to you whether or not you should go for it. In other words, there may be no reason at all to wait if you feel you are ready to go.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

NJ,

You've already been given some excellent advice but I thought I'd add my input real quick.

There really is no such thing as "keeping ahead of your hair loss" with hair transplant surgery, which is something I logically concluded was possible when I first started researching. This is why working to stabilize your hair loss with non-surgical treatments may be an important step to consider.

You don't have to wait to get a hair transplant until you are completely bald. But often it helps to give Propecia a chance to work to help strengthen your existing hair. Propecia and Rogaine together may even increase the likelihood that you will restore some of your natural hair. These typically work better for those with minimal baldness and rarely will regrow any in completely bald areas.

I hope this helps.

Bill