A lot of questions

Hello all.

I just joined up and I think my username says it all. It's really getting bad. Basically, the entire front of my hair line is becoming very sparse. I'm starting to be "comb over guy" and I hate it so much and more, it makes me feel really bad and almost like I don't want to leave my house because others will see. I know that's irrational--lots of bald men out there, but I trust I don't need to look far on this site to find people who feel the same way.

I have a whole bunch of questions. I know that if I spent many many hours reading posts on this site (I have already spent over an hour) I would probably get some of the answers but I was hoping someone would take pity on me and probably tread over old ground. Actually, a preliminary question: can you assure me you are just regular people, and are in no way stumping to drum up business for certain doctors? I want unbiased opinions because ultimately I will be looking for doctor recommendations. Anyway, here's some of my newbie questions. Actually some information first. Male. 36, white, very light skinned, always have had fine hair thickness I mean) (fine, but used to have lots of it), brown colored hair, a tiny bit of graying occurring.

If I have micrograft surgery, will they have to shave off my existing sparse hair in order to do the transplants in those areas? I know a lot of people are transplanting to bald areas. I have none really; just a large area that is becoming sparse. I don't want to have to shave off what coverage I have (Actually I think I'll die if I have to do that).

I know the answer depends on the exact type of procedure, number of grafts etc., but in general, will I have to take off time from work after the surgery? How long?

What can I expect on the day of the surgery? After the transplant, what can and can't I do. Would I need to wear a shower cap? can I shampoo? Can I sleep on the transplanted hair? Is there some type of protective covering they give you for when you sleep? Are you bandaged after the surgery (looking like a brain surgery patient)? And how long until your new hair can be treated just any old way (or is this never)?

Can you tell me or point me to a site where all of these questions maybe are answered but not by a biased group. I am so wary of insiders giving information. You don't get the truth or you get half-truths.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Gary

Hello all.

I just joined up and I think my username says it all. It's really getting bad. Basically, the entire front of my hair line is becoming very sparse. I'm starting to be "comb over guy" and I hate it so much and more, it makes me feel really bad and almost like I don't want to leave my house because others will see. I know that's irrational--lots of bald men out there, but I trust I don't need to look far on this site to find people who feel the same way.

I have a whole bunch of questions. I know that if I spent many many hours reading posts on this site (I have already spent over an hour) I would probably get some of the answers but I was hoping someone would take pity on me and probably tread over old ground. Actually, a preliminary question: can you assure me you are just regular people, and are in no way stumping to drum up business for certain doctors? I want unbiased opinions because ultimately I will be looking for doctor recommendations. Anyway, here's some of my newbie questions. Actually some information first. Male. 36, white, very light skinned, always have had fine hair thickness I mean) (fine, but used to have lots of it), brown colored hair, a tiny bit of graying occurring.

If I have micrograft surgery, will they have to shave off my existing sparse hair in order to do the transplants in those areas? I know a lot of people are transplanting to bald areas. I have none really; just a large area that is becoming sparse. I don't want to have to shave off what coverage I have (Actually I think I'll die if I have to do that).

I know the answer depends on the exact type of procedure, number of grafts etc., but in general, will I have to take off time from work after the surgery? How long?

What can I expect on the day of the surgery? After the transplant, what can and can't I do. Would I need to wear a shower cap? can I shampoo? Can I sleep on the transplanted hair? Is there some type of protective covering they give you for when you sleep? Are you bandaged after the surgery (looking like a brain surgery patient)? And how long until your new hair can be treated just any old way (or is this never)?

Can you tell me or point me to a site where all of these questions maybe are answered but not by a biased group. I am so wary of insiders giving information. You don't get the truth or you get half-truths.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Gary

Thats alot of questions! 1st From the sounds of it you are a diffuse thinner. 2nd I cant speak for everyone and you need to really be careful w/ any website, but for the most part people on here are good people who only want to help you. As far as what you need to do Pre- and Post op there are lots of people on here that have plenty of experience and can help you on that. Your looking for unbiased opinions, however you will get a fair share of biased opinions and it's your job to filter out and decide for yourself. Do a lot of research and have more than 1 consultation w/ the docs on this site. I personally will only tell you to stay away from Bosley, Medical Hair Restoration, and other hair mills. If you have any other ?'s please feel free to ask .

Yeah like dakota said alot of questions???? Lets start off slow and work our way to help you find what you are looking for?? 1st take some pics for us to see. 2nd are you taking any meds? You should be on propecia/proscar and using rogain/minox. 3rd if you are on the meds how long?? Alot of guys have been on the meds for atleast one year to see how the meds work for them.

I myself did not get on the meds until 2 months prior to my 1st ultra fine ht. I have also very fine hair. There are some pics on my weblog with my stage of loss. I am only a few years older Im 39 years old. Lets start yjere and like I said get us some pics. Dont worry like dakota said you are in good hands on this site and we will not push any doc on,but each of us have used different docs for different reasons.

can you assure me you are just regular people, and are in no way stumping to drum up business for certain doctors?

Dr. Hasson is the only surgeon on this site you should go to! (just kidding icon_smile.gif )...

#1 Shaving Head for Surgery---

yep! It sounds as though your a diffuse thinner (i.e. losing hair all over your balding pattern, not receding from front to back, or crown to middle) so, all TOP docs will require that you shave your head when transplanting w/in native hair. This ensures the docs a better read on the angle of hair growth, to minimize *transection* which could cause PERMANENT shock loss. So, it's really a no-brainer and the upswing is exponentially greater than the short term cost.

#2 Most people would suggest at *least* a couple of days for recovery. Can you wear a hat at work to conceal the procedure for a few months?

#3 Well you can't exactly go play a couple rounds of golf a la JoeDirt ( icon_wink.gif ) immediately after surgery. Most would suggest refraining from any physical activity which would put any undue strain or burden on your donor area (i.e. exercising, running, free-base diving off the empire state building) for at least two weeks, when the staples are removed. You can't sleep for 400 hours post op either. No, you can but it is recommended, by some, that you do so in a lazy type chair so as not to damage the grafts. You can shampoo only using caution. Your not "bandaged" up w/the exception of the staples in the back of your head you won't have any other bandages or anyting...and oh, yeah about five thousand little bloody slits across the top of your scalp. You can and will treat your transplanted hair just like you would your native hair after a couple of weeks; w/the exception of not overly exposing the new grafts and skin to the sun for a few months so as to ensure no damage while they grow in.

"Can you tell me or point me to a site where all of these questions maybe are answered but not by a biased group. I am so wary of insiders giving information. You don't get the truth or you get half-truths."...

Ugghhhhh...I think you just found it pal. I know what you mean though, when I first found this site I thought it was fake or something. I wondered: "Ummmm...what's up w/all these bald dudes sharing their pictures for the world to see?"...I thought they were all paid by the docs, but not to worry this isn't the case. If your truly a skeptic, then check out as many balding photo blogs as you can. These show the month by month growth and results the patients go through, which will put at ease even the greatest of conspiracy theorists...

Here are some of my favorites:

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/galleryview.cfm?id=shuffle|gallery17.cfm

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/galleryview.cfm?id...don_lad|gallery9.cfm

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/galleryview.cfm?id...lution|gallery10.cfm

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/galleryview.cfm?id...nsplant|gallery1.cfm

http://www.hairtransplantmentor.com/

& this collection could hardly be considered complete w/out my baby; pass the tissues, this one's a tear jerker...FLY ME TO THE ALBA!!!

:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgqiw2BZq5w

My baby 'n bikini:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6GHV0efikk&feature=related

ALBA OPERA---

Here is a rare shot of me w/my wig commenting on ALBA

"Can you tell me or point me to a site where all of these questions maybe are answered but not by a biased group. I am so wary of insiders giving information. You don't get the truth or you get half-truths."...

Spend some more time here and you will see that this is not the case on this forum.

Also spend some time doing research through several sources, not just this forum. Read, read, read and ask a lot of questions and look at a lot of patient blogs, follow their progress and their comments. PM them and ask them questions. By comparing this with what you are reading etc.. eventually you will start putting all the pieces together. Don't feel rushed, take your time.

Once you have, eventually you will be able to tell the difference between real and bogus info, or sales pitches by insiders. There's a lot of info that none of us are absolutely sure about, but even that is discussed fairly here.

I have no affiliation with anyone here on this site and have not been compensated by any doctor or forum owner in any way to participate here.

#1)

Regarding your 1st question, here is the best explanation I have found for the reason it is requested that you shave your recipient. I didn't want to do it either but after considering the reasons I had no problem with it.

Shaving the Recipient Area For a Hair Transplant

#3)

Here's a good link of tips of what to do/expect after a surgery.

HT Tips

Hope this helps.