Losing hair and my sanity!

Hey all,

Growing up, I was always very self conscious about my hair. Well, not necessarily my hair, but my hairline. My forehead was always a big one, so in order to cover that up a bit, I guess I fell in love with wearing a hat all the time.

I am currently 23 years old, and am experiencing some shedding of the hair. Two years back I decided to grow out my hair (for ~14 months), and after I got that cut, something didn't feel right... I didn't feel that same thickness on the top that I felt before I grew out my hair.

could growing my hair out has triggered this hair loss?

Although it's not really noticeable as of yet, I am worried that if I do not act soon, I can lose what I have. I've noticed that after showering now, you can see my scalp more. Also, I can't seem to make my bangs appear as thick as I used to be able to unless I grow them long. This is prolly why I've fallen in love w/ the medium length hair styles now instead of my shorter hairstyles of the past.

Anyway, the last time I got my hair cut (about a month ago..), my barber said I was "thinning out quick" icon_frown.gif .... I knew I was shedding but I wasn't aware of the pace... He has suggested I use a shampoo which helped him personally with his thinning hair. That shampoo is Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo. I use that interchangeably with Head and Shoulders Sensitive Scalp Shampoo.

After I started using it, I felt the difference right away... I've also noticed less shedding of hair as well. But now that my hair has grown a bit longer, I've seen the shedding return, and right now I just want to do all I can to try and prolong the process... and try and make my scalp as healthy as possible to try and fight this hair loss.

I always thought of getting a HT when I was younger to shorten the length/width of my hairline a bit... because it is about 5 fingers wide in height. But I knew that doing so at a young age would be foolish in case I ever experienced hair loss (now icon_frown.gif ).

I've thought about taking Propecia, but as a college student w/ a crap-o health care, I cannot afford that as of yet. Hopefully in the near future I can invest in that.

Anyway, do you think that starting Propecia at this point in time would be my best chances to maintain my hair? I would still like to get a HT in the future, but as of now I must wait it out and see what I am working with... I currently shampoo daily and although my diet isn't as good as it could be, I try to get an ample amount of protein and water in.

Sorry about the length, I just needed get it all out icon_smile.gif

- yankeeFITTED

Hey all,

Growing up, I was always very self conscious about my hair. Well, not necessarily my hair, but my hairline. My forehead was always a big one, so in order to cover that up a bit, I guess I fell in love with wearing a hat all the time.

I am currently 23 years old, and am experiencing some shedding of the hair. Two years back I decided to grow out my hair (for ~14 months), and after I got that cut, something didn't feel right... I didn't feel that same thickness on the top that I felt before I grew out my hair.

could growing my hair out has triggered this hair loss?

Although it's not really noticeable as of yet, I am worried that if I do not act soon, I can lose what I have. I've noticed that after showering now, you can see my scalp more. Also, I can't seem to make my bangs appear as thick as I used to be able to unless I grow them long. This is prolly why I've fallen in love w/ the medium length hair styles now instead of my shorter hairstyles of the past.

Anyway, the last time I got my hair cut (about a month ago..), my barber said I was "thinning out quick" icon_frown.gif .... I knew I was shedding but I wasn't aware of the pace... He has suggested I use a shampoo which helped him personally with his thinning hair. That shampoo is Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo. I use that interchangeably with Head and Shoulders Sensitive Scalp Shampoo.

After I started using it, I felt the difference right away... I've also noticed less shedding of hair as well. But now that my hair has grown a bit longer, I've seen the shedding return, and right now I just want to do all I can to try and prolong the process... and try and make my scalp as healthy as possible to try and fight this hair loss.

I always thought of getting a HT when I was younger to shorten the length/width of my hairline a bit... because it is about 5 fingers wide in height. But I knew that doing so at a young age would be foolish in case I ever experienced hair loss (now icon_frown.gif ).

I've thought about taking Propecia, but as a college student w/ a crap-o health care, I cannot afford that as of yet. Hopefully in the near future I can invest in that.

Anyway, do you think that starting Propecia at this point in time would be my best chances to maintain my hair? I would still like to get a HT in the future, but as of now I must wait it out and see what I am working with... I currently shampoo daily and although my diet isn't as good as it could be, I try to get an ample amount of protein and water in.

Sorry about the length, I just needed get it all out icon_smile.gif

- yankeeFITTED

I think if your thinning out then the best thing for you to do is to get on the meds. I wish i would of known about them earlier and maybe i could of saved what i had earier on.

In most cases the meds save what you have rather than regrow more hair. Get on the meds and then hopefully you will keep what you have and in a few years you may not even need a HT.

2600 grafts Dr Feller 28/01/08

3024 grafts Dr Feller 15/01/07

Ok.

Go see a dermatologist, or an esteemed HT clinic if their is one by you. Get checked out -- look for miniaturization. Then look into, if not get on, the following ASAP: rogaine foam 5%, nizoral 2% shampoo (or Revita shampoo, but nizoral is less expensive and you've mentioned finances), and propecia (aka finasteride).I take propecia, but many take "proscar", which is essentially the same thing, but you have to chop up the pills, and it is less expensive.

The aformentioned three treatments are your only non-surgical hope at truly saving or re-growing hair. That having been said, the illusion of density is what it is all about; and you can boost this by considering a concealer (dermmatch and/or nanogen) or a texturizing wax-type hair product...and, of course, experimenting with different styling.

If you do consider a HT -- and not knowing you situation or seeing pics I won't tell you to "get one or not" -- look into only extremely reputable clinics...if you are really jonesing to see where you stand with regard to a HT, get some consults (online or live) with some very reputable docs that do online consults.

Ahhh, also, as an adjunct shampoo to the nizoral/revita, you can try Aveda's shampoo geared toward thinning hair, or Toppek's shampoo/conditioner for thinning hair; plus you could compliment this with Nanogen's product geared to thickening the shafts of your hair (it isn't an actual shampoo).

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Guest Martin E.Tessler M.D.

You can purchase generic Proscar at Costco or Sam's Club for a very reasonable price(cheaper than most). You should definitely see a good hair transplant surgeon for an evaluation before you begin the medication. You can be followed for your progress.

Originally posted by HairySituation:

yes, I am in the US...

I had my scalp looked at by hair club for men.. and they said I was beginning to thin...

also... should I get the brand name Propecia instead of the generic brand?

Stay away from "The Hair Club for Men". I bought one of their 'systems' and wore it for a week. I traveled four hours to get that damn thing taken off and came back to work with a shaved head; after everyone noticed the sudden head full of hair I had achieved overnight.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Guest Martin E.Tessler M.D.

The generic form(Proscar)must be cut with a pill cutter available at any drugstore. The cost will be s25% of the brand name. I suggest this to all my patient

Good advice

See a doc and ask about meds. Shampoo's are really not going to help that much but the best ones that could help marginal are Nizoral and Revita..

Good luck

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!