Answer to patient's question on minigrafts

A patient, writing under the pseudo-name, "Ron Danny," under the category "Post Your Own Pictures" asked if I would comment on the use of minigrafts in hair transplantation. In my opinion they can, if used appropriately, be an invaluable set of "paint brushes" to have in your set of tools with which to practice the art of hair restoration surgery. I don't think they should be used in every patient though.

Why are they valuable? The most important reason, in my opinion, is that they help in creating gradients of hair density on the scalp. I like to feather the very front hairline with 1-hair FU's (and if there aren't enough 1-hair FU's, it is wise to split 2-hair FU's into separate 1-hair units to have enough of them) and then quickly switch to 2-hair FU's within 1/8-1/4 inch from the front, in order to begin that gradient, and then 3-hair FU's just behind those. If a transplant is done with all FU's, the surgeon is usually left using mostly 1-hair FU's for the entire front hairline, in order to preserve the more "central" areas for the 2's and 3's. In transplanting this central area of the scalp (which is on the horizontal plane), my usual preference ??“ if hair characteristics are favorable (ie: not too dark of hair with marked contrast to pale skin) ??“ is to place very small minigrafts in a random pattern (not rows), at a very steep angle (so that they overlap each other and style nicely), and very close together (using a minimal-depth incision, which allows for this close density without hitting the deeper blood vessels of the skin). They should never be placed on the front hairline, in either of the creases, or used in the crown (vertex) region, unless a patient has almost white hair.

The decision as to which route to take ??“ all FU's, or a combination of FU's and minigrafts ??“ takes place at the time of the consultation. If the patient states he only wants to come for one or two sessions, then FU's only should be used. If the patient expresses zero tolerance for any detectability in the early phases of the transplant growing in, then all FU's should be used. The choice for including minigrafts in the transplant project also should include the understanding by the patient that there will be at least three sessions. You cannot adequately make a final judgement on a combined hair transplant after two sessions. About half of the patients, especially those with finer caliber hair and those with darker hair, in my practice come for a fourth and final session, in which I recommend around 900-1100 FU's "in between all of the cracks," to finish off the project.

Returning to the advantages of including minigrafts: It is safer to go back in the second and third time with minigrafts and still get a high percentage yield with them, precisely because you can see where the small groups of 4-6 hairs are, and can easily place the subsequent grafts in the spaces that exist. With FU's, if you go back for further visits, it is somewhat easier to "cut the legs out from under" the previously placed grafts. I did a somewhat complicated research study on a completely bald Norwood Class VI man over the span of three transplant sessions, of 1350, 1250, and 1150 "combined" grafts per session, and studied a small tattooed "study area" in the center of the FU and the minigraft zones. After the first session, there was near 100% growth in both zones; But after three sessions, the growth rate was in the 80-90% range for the minigrafts, and was in the mid-50% range for the FU's. The FU's were placed at a density of 25 per cm2 at each session. The logical conclusion I would draw from that is that, if you are going to have an "all-FU" approach taken, then a one-time pass using "dense packing" (such as Dr. Seager and Dr. Limmer have advocated over the years) makes the most sense. Likewise, if someone intends to transplant two or three times, then the use of minigrafts in the central regions would be the most appropriate way to transfer donor hair safely and achieve density.

The last advantage of minigrafts is that it is a much more efficient and less expensive way of moving hair into the central region of the scalp. This results in being able to charge a price per session that doesn't reach beyond what the middle-class can afford to pay, and doesn't require as much staff-hours of help to perform the procedure. The donor hairs are also not "out of the body" as long, if the procedure is performed more expeditiously.

It is my opinion that, in transplanting a Norwood Class VI bald man (typical horseshoe shaped baldness) it takes minimum of 8000-9000 transplanted hairs, and probably 10,000-12,000 in fine-textured-hair patients, to create the appearance of a relatively "full" head of hair. Also, the surest way to fine donor scars is not to take more than 2500-3000 hairs per session. When the surgeon goes back 6-8 months later, the skin has the marvelous capability to "soften up" again and give up another strip of reasonable width and still keep the one scar to a thin line that is not detectable.

I realize anything but an FU has received a bad reputation and is routinely trashed by a lot of the "regulars" at this and other forums. I empathize with their bitterness and disappointment. Most of them were the product of the work of a previous era, during which these larger grafts, for whatever reason, were the best the hair surgery community had to offer for almost 30 years. But I do believe that much of this overly negative commentary stems from these individuals over-reacting to the harm and disfigurement that was done in previous years with large grafts??“ especially the old "standard" grafts ??“ and running in the other direction to the smallest graft they can find and are championing it. I also see a lot of men in my practice who look terrible and have minigrafts as a large part of why they look terrible. In most such cases, the grafts often come off of the scalp in almost a perpendicular angle straight out. If I was going to pluck a doctor off of the street, who had no experience in this field, and have him placing hair grafts three weeks later, I would probably want him using only FU's, since the chances of him causing harm would be much less, unless he were to mess up the placement of the hairline. But, if a doctor told me he wanted to take a few years to truly master the art of hair restoration and wanted to be able to best take care of the widest range of patients that would present to him during his career, with patients presenting different demands for visual density, having different calibers of hair, different colors of hair, - then I would definitely want to teach him how to artistically use minigrafts. The most important aspect to their use is the angle they are placed at and that they be small minigrafts of six hairs or less.

I will close this overly long explantation now, but felt it was important to speak up for the benefits of including minigrafts in some transplant projects. I would ask that people keep an open mind and realize that for some patients they can play a valuable role in creating density and gradients ??“ without harming the naturalness of the final result. I think the patient should choose which method he wants used after having been told the advantages and limitations of both approaches.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

Saratoga Springs, N.Y.

A patient, writing under the pseudo-name, "Ron Danny," under the category "Post Your Own Pictures" asked if I would comment on the use of minigrafts in hair transplantation. In my opinion they can, if used appropriately, be an invaluable set of "paint brushes" to have in your set of tools with which to practice the art of hair restoration surgery. I don't think they should be used in every patient though.

Why are they valuable? The most important reason, in my opinion, is that they help in creating gradients of hair density on the scalp. I like to feather the very front hairline with 1-hair FU's (and if there aren't enough 1-hair FU's, it is wise to split 2-hair FU's into separate 1-hair units to have enough of them) and then quickly switch to 2-hair FU's within 1/8-1/4 inch from the front, in order to begin that gradient, and then 3-hair FU's just behind those. If a transplant is done with all FU's, the surgeon is usually left using mostly 1-hair FU's for the entire front hairline, in order to preserve the more "central" areas for the 2's and 3's. In transplanting this central area of the scalp (which is on the horizontal plane), my usual preference ??“ if hair characteristics are favorable (ie: not too dark of hair with marked contrast to pale skin) ??“ is to place very small minigrafts in a random pattern (not rows), at a very steep angle (so that they overlap each other and style nicely), and very close together (using a minimal-depth incision, which allows for this close density without hitting the deeper blood vessels of the skin). They should never be placed on the front hairline, in either of the creases, or used in the crown (vertex) region, unless a patient has almost white hair.

The decision as to which route to take ??“ all FU's, or a combination of FU's and minigrafts ??“ takes place at the time of the consultation. If the patient states he only wants to come for one or two sessions, then FU's only should be used. If the patient expresses zero tolerance for any detectability in the early phases of the transplant growing in, then all FU's should be used. The choice for including minigrafts in the transplant project also should include the understanding by the patient that there will be at least three sessions. You cannot adequately make a final judgement on a combined hair transplant after two sessions. About half of the patients, especially those with finer caliber hair and those with darker hair, in my practice come for a fourth and final session, in which I recommend around 900-1100 FU's "in between all of the cracks," to finish off the project.

Returning to the advantages of including minigrafts: It is safer to go back in the second and third time with minigrafts and still get a high percentage yield with them, precisely because you can see where the small groups of 4-6 hairs are, and can easily place the subsequent grafts in the spaces that exist. With FU's, if you go back for further visits, it is somewhat easier to "cut the legs out from under" the previously placed grafts. I did a somewhat complicated research study on a completely bald Norwood Class VI man over the span of three transplant sessions, of 1350, 1250, and 1150 "combined" grafts per session, and studied a small tattooed "study area" in the center of the FU and the minigraft zones. After the first session, there was near 100% growth in both zones; But after three sessions, the growth rate was in the 80-90% range for the minigrafts, and was in the mid-50% range for the FU's. The FU's were placed at a density of 25 per cm2 at each session. The logical conclusion I would draw from that is that, if you are going to have an "all-FU" approach taken, then a one-time pass using "dense packing" (such as Dr. Seager and Dr. Limmer have advocated over the years) makes the most sense. Likewise, if someone intends to transplant two or three times, then the use of minigrafts in the central regions would be the most appropriate way to transfer donor hair safely and achieve density.

The last advantage of minigrafts is that it is a much more efficient and less expensive way of moving hair into the central region of the scalp. This results in being able to charge a price per session that doesn't reach beyond what the middle-class can afford to pay, and doesn't require as much staff-hours of help to perform the procedure. The donor hairs are also not "out of the body" as long, if the procedure is performed more expeditiously.

It is my opinion that, in transplanting a Norwood Class VI bald man (typical horseshoe shaped baldness) it takes minimum of 8000-9000 transplanted hairs, and probably 10,000-12,000 in fine-textured-hair patients, to create the appearance of a relatively "full" head of hair. Also, the surest way to fine donor scars is not to take more than 2500-3000 hairs per session. When the surgeon goes back 6-8 months later, the skin has the marvelous capability to "soften up" again and give up another strip of reasonable width and still keep the one scar to a thin line that is not detectable.

I realize anything but an FU has received a bad reputation and is routinely trashed by a lot of the "regulars" at this and other forums. I empathize with their bitterness and disappointment. Most of them were the product of the work of a previous era, during which these larger grafts, for whatever reason, were the best the hair surgery community had to offer for almost 30 years. But I do believe that much of this overly negative commentary stems from these individuals over-reacting to the harm and disfigurement that was done in previous years with large grafts??“ especially the old "standard" grafts ??“ and running in the other direction to the smallest graft they can find and are championing it. I also see a lot of men in my practice who look terrible and have minigrafts as a large part of why they look terrible. In most such cases, the grafts often come off of the scalp in almost a perpendicular angle straight out. If I was going to pluck a doctor off of the street, who had no experience in this field, and have him placing hair grafts three weeks later, I would probably want him using only FU's, since the chances of him causing harm would be much less, unless he were to mess up the placement of the hairline. But, if a doctor told me he wanted to take a few years to truly master the art of hair restoration and wanted to be able to best take care of the widest range of patients that would present to him during his career, with patients presenting different demands for visual density, having different calibers of hair, different colors of hair, - then I would definitely want to teach him how to artistically use minigrafts. The most important aspect to their use is the angle they are placed at and that they be small minigrafts of six hairs or less.

I will close this overly long explantation now, but felt it was important to speak up for the benefits of including minigrafts in some transplant projects. I would ask that people keep an open mind and realize that for some patients they can play a valuable role in creating density and gradients ??“ without harming the naturalness of the final result. I think the patient should choose which method he wants used after having been told the advantages and limitations of both approaches.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

Saratoga Springs, N.Y.

Dr Beehner

Thank you for your input. Could you estimate a rough breakdown of the percentages of different graft sizes, when you do decide to mix grafts? I realize that patients are different, so if you could estimate a range... For example, what is the largest percentage of Minigrafts you would consider using on a patient? The reason I ask is because there are many many clinics that use Micrografts (or sometimes FU grafts) only in the frontal hairline, and a majority (or all) of the grafts placed behind the hairline are Minigrafts. Based on what I have read and seen, that approach is considered outdated by the most skilled surgeons. If I read your statement correcetly, that does not describe your approach. If you could be more specific about how big a role Minigrafts play in your overall approach, that would be appreciated.

Also, you alluded to the use of Minigrafts for economic reasons. Do you think it is acceptable to give a patient a less-natural or less-pleasing transplant in the interest of saving some money? Would you consent to doing "lesser" surgeries in order to appeal to a patient's "thriftier" side? If so, can you estimate how much money these patients might have typically saved by "cutting corners"? I'm not discussing "what the patient wants" here, because I'm sure you realize the patient considers you the "expert" in the relationship, and the "final word"... Patients expect that you will not do anything that is not in their best interest. For example, I am sure you are regularly refusing to give patients a hairline which is too low, for example. Do you think it is ultimately worth it for a patient, to save (fill in the blank____ ) dollars, but not get the best possible result you are capable of delivering to him? At what point is "saving money" not considered worth it, in relation to cosmetic results? In other words, how much money does a patient need to save, in order to make a less natural result "worth it"? In your opinion, would it be ethical to design a cosmetic surgery based on a patient's pocketbook, and not on what their needs are?

[This message was edited by arfy on April 17, 2002 at 12:21 AM.]

Dr Beehner,

Thank you for your professional opinion on the role "small mini's" done properly can play. I am a very satisfied patient of a mainly FU HT but with some small mini's on the top of my head well behind the hairline. I do NOT feel the natural or artistic values were sacrificed whatsoever, in fact the mini's are (in my case) giving me a very full look, your point on angle playing a role is so true, all of my grafts lay down in the same manner they did when I was a young buck, in fact somehow I even still have my natural "cowlick", my Dr paid very close attention to the natural growth patterns and angles. I also agree with you and Arfy that an unskilled surgeon could fully mis-use mini's and create a nightmare for an innocent person. FU's are the latest and greatest improvement, but having said that I also think FU's can be a popular "buzzword" implying that "any" surgeon using "all" FU's is a savior and perhaps FU's are the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel. I have read that even Dr. Shapiro has used doubled FU's in a lateral position, in my opinion this is another way of saying he has properly utilized small mini's ?? My true point is that FU's are clearly the choice for hairline situations but small mini's can be very effective in certain situations, most notably mine. I did NOT sacrifice naturalness.

Arfy,

A typical distribution of grafts over three sessions on, let's say, a Norwood VI baldness with a span of 12 cm across from one fringe edge to the other would be as follows: 270 FU's at the front hairline (around 120 1-hair FU's, 120 2-hair FU's, and 50 3-hair FU's), 50 FU's down each side "crease" area, and 140 FU's at the rear "curved rim", if the crown were not being done. If the crown were being done, I would use around 300-350 in a swirled pattern there, with none of them being less than a 2-hair FU, in order to maximally impact the visible density in this region. That's a total of 510 FU's for filling in the front 2/3rd of the scalp, and 670 FU's if the crown is being included. The number of 1.3mm small round minigrafts would be around 330, with 60 1.5 round minigrafts in the central region (if hair characteristics were such that they would not be detectable. If such is not the case, I fill this area also with the 1.3's, and wait until the second session to place 1.5's here "under the cover" of the smaller pre-existing 1.3's) So in summary, a fellow getting the front two-thirds of the scalp filled in (my commonest sized session) would receive a total of around 910 grafts, of which 510 would be FU's and 400 minigrafts. At the time of a SECOND SESSION, the ratio starts to tilt much heavier toward FU's, with around 650 FU's and 260 minigrafts. At the THIRD SESSION, this would be around 700 FU's and 200 small minigrafts.

Getting to your more important question, I don't believe in my hands that the patient is getting a "second rate" product because the minigrafts are used. As I stated, if the patient wants a maximally "full" look and is willing to come 3-4 times, I truly believe he will receive the best result with this approach. I did say, however, that if the patient is only going to come once or twice - a very important qualification - then he is NOT

Arfy,

A typical distribution of grafts over three sessions on, let's say, a Norwood VI baldness with a span of 12 cm across from one fringe edge to the other would be as follows: 270 FU's at the front hairline (around 120 1-hair FU's, 120 2-hair FU's, and 50 3-hair FU's), 50 FU's down each side "crease" area, and 140 FU's at the rear "curved rim", if the crown were not being done. If the crown were being done, I would use around 300-350 in a swirled pattern there, with none of them being less than a 2-hair FU, in order to maximally impact the visible density in this region. That's a total of 510 FU's for filling in the front 2/3rd of the scalp, and 670 FU's if the crown is being included. The number of 1.3mm small round minigrafts would be around 330, with 60 1.5 round minigrafts in the central region (if hair characteristics were such that they would not be detectable. If such is not the case, I fill this area also with the 1.3's, and wait until the second session to place 1.5's here "under the cover" of the smaller pre-existing 1.3's) So in summary, a fellow getting the front two-thirds of the scalp filled in (my commonest sized session) would receive a total of around 910 grafts, of which 510 would be FU's and 400 minigrafts. At the time of a SECOND SESSION, the ratio starts to tilt much heavier toward FU's, with around 650 FU's and 260 minigrafts. At the THIRD SESSION, this would be around 700 FU's and 200 small minigrafts.

Getting to your more important question, I don't believe in my hands that the patient is getting a "second rate" product because the minigrafts are used. We cut all of our minigrafts under the stereo-microscope and try to never cut into an intact FU, but rather corral them 2 or 3 at a time into the minigraft tissue. Several prominent FU transplanters also do this, only they call these grafts "follicular families" instead of minigrafts. As I stated, if the patient wants a maximally "full" look and is willing to come 3-4 times, I truly believe he will receive the best result with this approach. I did say, however, that if the patient is only going to come once or twice - a very important qualification - then he is NOT going to receive the best result that the combination appraoch can achieve. He is better off with all FU's, especially since at a second session FU's are easier to place between the FU's growing from the first session. Again, I want to emphasize that this is the approach that myself and many others truly believes yields the overall best results in the majority of patients. Some patients are so obsessessed with an undetectable (the word "natural" is often used here) look, that they are willing to accept a "thinner", slightly more see-through look in exchange for never going through an early stage where there may be a hint of detectability with the minigrafts. I didn't even get into the "slits" vs. "holes" debate. I use slit minigrafts in most of my female patients in the middle areas, and in male patients in areas where there is reasonably good hair that I do not want to displace or damage.

I would certainly grant that a small number of doctors, with highly trained and motivated staffs, and in patients with a high average number of hairs per FU, can achieve density equal to what I am describing above - namely a result that, when viewed from above, does not allow the observer to see the scalp at all. I am simply saying that, in my opinion, that is not the majority of patients, and most of the patients I have seen who had exclusive FU work look sparser than my typical results. When you put into the mix a doctor or chain of clinics that is not focused on quality and has a high staff turnover rate, then I believe the fragility of handling high numbers of FU's which are "dense packed" can be a nightmare and can yield poor growth due to the drying of grafts and trauma. It is no coincidence that the handful of doctors who do excellent all-FU work have staff assistants who have been with them for many years and are just as motivated toward great patient results as they are.

Individual doctors are different in what they can artistically do best with hair, and individual patients are different in what they are seeking and in what they bring to the table in the way of donor hair, hair characteristics, and desires for a final result. The patients also differ widely on how they balance the scales of density vs. undetectability. It is the doctor's job to be sensitive to what that patient wants and deliver the type of transplant that best answers his needs.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

Saratoga Springs, N.Y.

Dr. Beehner

Thank you for you reply. If I understand you correctly, it seems like two-thirds of the grafts you use will typically be FU grafts, and one-third of the grafts you use will be Minigrafts. This seems to be different than what clinics like MHR typically do... I estimate that they do the opposite: one-third Micrografts and two-thirds Minigrafts. I say "estimate" because I have been unable to engage anyone from MHR in a serious discussion about techniques and philosophies. It seems like they are unintersted in disclosing their methods or educating the public. Although I would choose only FUs grafts for myself (undetectabilty is absolutely my top priority) I respect your candor in discussing your typical strategy. And if I understand you correctly, you are "willing" to do an all-FU procedure.

One thing I don't understand about your answer. Lets compare an all-FU procedure with a mixed graft procedure hypothetically, in the "same patient". Patients have a fixed amount of donor hair, of course. If the "maximum amount" of grafts are moved for a given patient, and a "fixed" or limited area is covered, how could Minigrafts achieve "more density" than FU grafts? Since the same amount of hairs are moved (the "maximum", whatever that number might be) I don't understand why one technique would provide "more coverage" and the other "a more see-through look". Again, the area covered would be "fixed" or constant in both hypothetical procedures, and the amount of grafts or follicles would be considered maximum.

Any comments are appreciated.

I have just read Dr. Beehner's post. I had posted on the same thread as Ron Danny. I have reviewed my post and saw that it could have been misconstrued. I would add that upon my original consultation with Dr. Beehner some time ago that he advised me that his plan, after considering my goals, donor hair, etc., was that he believed I would need 3 procedures. My comments are based on having had two procedures. I have no basis to believe that if I continued with my original plan that the final result would not be excellent( It actually is now). I was responding to a poster who sounded like he was very concerned about being "found out". What I should have added was that having 3 procedures is a lengthy commmitment and that it would be quite sometime before his result would be "undetectable". My experiences with Dr. Beehner were positive, I would not want anyone to believe otherwise.

As a frequent reader of this forum, and a recent HT patient, I wanted to comment on how much I've enjoyed reading the current dialogue between Dr. Beehner & Arfy. Sometimes, on these forums, things tend to get confrontational instead of educational & constructive, as this thread has been for the past two days. I'd like to thank Dr. Beehner & Arfy for making the positive contributions that potential patients are looking for. I look forward to reading more on this extremely interesting subject.

Mike

Dr Beehner

After re-reading your post, I see you have already addressed my second question about mixed grafts vs. FUs and why you say that many all-FUs don't have as dense a result as a mixed graft approach. (I was asking you to compare coverage of an all-FU approach with a mixed graft approach hypothetically, in the "same patient".)

Dr Beehner already said<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I would certainly grant that a small number of doctors, with highly trained and motivated staffs, and in patients with a high average number of hairs per FU, can achieve density equal to what I am describing above - namely a result that, when viewed from above, does not allow the observer to see the scalp at all. I am simply saying that, in my opinion, that is not the majority of patients, and most of the patients I have seen who had exclusive FU work look sparser than my typical results. When you put into the mix a doctor or chain of clinics that is not focused on quality and has a high staff turnover rate, then I believe the fragility of handling high numbers of FU's which are "dense packed" can be a nightmare and can yield poor growth due to the drying of grafts and trauma. It is no coincidence that the handful of doctors who do excellent all-FU work have staff assistants who have been with them for many years and are just as motivated toward great patient results as they are.

That seems to make sense. I wasn't taking into account the variable of "skill and experience" of the surgeon and his techs in using FUs. Since FUs are more delicate, it seems reasonable that experienced surgeons (and staff) will have better (denser) results with an all-FU approach. I absolutely believe that there are a limited number of excellent "all-FU surgeons". It also partly explains the reluctance of big chains like Bosley and MHR (and small chains too icon_wink.gif )to switch over to an all-FU procedure. The learning curve is steep with FUs, not just for the doctors but for the techs too. Switching your practice to one which uses a high percentage of FU grafts is not just a simple matter of buying a bunch of microscopes.

Thank you!

[This message was edited by arfy on April 18, 2002 at 07:59 PM.]

Speaking as a "repair patient" who has had to live with the devastating effects of an unnatural-looking hair transplant for many years, I can report that "naturalness" (or "undetectabilty") is my primary goal. I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of patients both new and old agree with me. The issues of "coverage" and "density" become practically worthless when you have a 'detectable' transplant.

Dr. Beehner alluded to older patients championing the "smallest possible grafts" and that is definitely my perspective.

Agree arfy,

Naturalness and density are the two sides of the sword, ideally a person could hope for both. Tightly packed fu's as in Pat's (the moderator) case is the way to go. But..a patient with a very small amount of donor hair trying to cover a Norwood 6-7 scalp would "have to" accept a thinly spread but natural all FU approach, anything else would look silly, if in fact they even wanted a HT at all. I think there are some valid reasons to use small central mini's in a cobo approach also...take a 40+ year old man, lots of donor hair, and only a Norwood 3..because of mild MPB and adequete donor hair coupled with older age....in my opinion he has a few more options. This man may opt to not want multiple all FU procedures..This man is me !! and a few central mini's blend nicely and naturally with the tightly packed frontal FU's and my pre-exsisting hair...(1 surgery).. Well enough on this topic for now. Dr. Beehner is very correct in his pointing out each patient will have differing options/goals based on several variables.