Struggling with hair loss problem

Hi everyone,

I am a 35 year old woman who has been straggling with hair loss for the last few years.

My hair loss frequency is become higher from few days. I discussed about this problem with one of my friend. She told me it will become serious problem and it will even affect my beauty. I am very upset, and looking for good advice to get rid of Hair Loss problem. I m hoping you can help me?

Hi Cynthia,

The first thing I would do is consult a dermatologist. There are skin conditions which are treatable and which can cause hair loss; you might be affected by one and can possibly take care of it.

Other than that, hair transplantation is a little different in women than it is in men. Men are usually affected by MPB (male pattern baldness) which does not affect hair on the sides & back of the head: those can be safely transplanted without fear of them ever falling out. Female hair loss does not follow the same pattern and so it gets a little harder to predict which hair is "safe" to transplant. A consultation with a reputable physician may be a good idea here after you see the dermatologist.

Cynthia Jones,

Welcome to our community. Hopefully we will be able to help you. We all know here (men and women alike) how disheartening losing your hair can be.

Youngguy gave you some good advice...and I'll add to it.

Have you seen a doctor/dermatologist yet about your hairloss condition? Where are you primarily losing your hair? There is both Male Pattern Baldness (MPB) and Female Pattern Baldness (FPB). Just becuse you are a woman, howeer, does not mean you cannot suffer from typical MPB.

The first step is to see a doctor/dermatologist to see if there is something medically related that is effecting your hair. If that has been ruled out, you might want to consult an Hair Transplant doctor to determine if you are a good candidate for an HT. I recommend looking here at the coalition doctors: http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp

The hair transplant process in it's simplist explanation is taking hair from the "safe" zone (the sides and back of your head) and transplanting on top into the thinning areas. Some people, women especially have a problem, however, where they lose hair in the safe zone as well, thus not being a good candidate for an HT.

I know there are some products out there for women that you can try, however, be careful not to fall for scams. Ask here when in doubt and people will be able to help you determine if it's a viable product or not. Minoxodil for women is available and I'm not honestly sure what else.

I recommend doing a search on this forum by using the "find" feature of this forum above and looking up "women" and "hair transplant". Many women have had successful hair restorations with excellent physician.

BUT, it is important that you are able to do something to stop or slow down the hairloss before jumping into surgery, since it is not a cure for hairloss.

In summation:

1. See a doctor to determine the cause

2. Do some research on products that help combat hairloss for women (be careful of scams...ask questions here if in doubt)

3. Use these products to attempt to control the hairloss

4. Consult with an HT doctor to determine if you are a good candidate for an HT

5. If you are comfortable posting pictures here, we may be able to give you better advice. Feel free to block out your face. If you need help, feel free to PM me.

I hope this helps get you started.

Bill

Originally posted by Cynthia Jones:

Hi everyone,

I am a 35 year old woman who has been straggling with hair loss for the last few years.

My hair loss frequency is become higher from few days. I discussed about this problem with one of my friend. She told me it will become serious problem and it will even affect my beauty. I am very upset, and looking for good advice to get rid of Hair Loss problem. I m hoping you can help me?

I too am a woman who just had hair restoration surgery. The forum generally offers very good advice. I think their recommendations about seeking advice about the reason for your hair loss is of primary importance also. If you are a candidate for hair restoration surgery, then be aware that it poses a few challenges for women that I wasn't aware of going into it. I knew nothing about it except they will take a little strip from the back of your hair and make microscopic incisions in the needed areas to transplant the hair. Sounded simple enough but oh so much more to learn. Do your research and read for content and apply to your situation. I am going to take their advice and search for women's topics since I am only two weeks out. If you decide to go into it, then write back!

Are facing problem of hair loss?

This Information is for those women who have been searching for smart tips on hair Loss. Hair baldness can be termed as a major problem for women. In this case women see thinning of their hair which is a bit different from the pattern baldness as seen in men.

Causes of this female baldness?

Women suffer from the problem usually after menopause though it can occur even in teenage. It may be due to some illness, hormonal imbalance or some disease. However, heredity is the main cause of female pattern baldness in most cases. Female pattern baldness is caused by the presence of a male hormone called testosterone in female body. Testosterone is caused by androgen hormone. The production of androgenetic hormones and its effect on hair follicles can be termed as the main reason.

Female pattern hair loss characteristics

Normally women tend to lose around 100-125 hairs per day, which is normal. The condition is apparently serious when the hair loss frequency is higher.

In female pattern baldness hair starts thinning over the top and front of the head. It is seen that the hair loss may genetically come from the family of either father or mother.

Female pattern baldness can also occur after pregnancy. In some cases it is seen after discontinuation of birth control pills. It is often accompanied by other signs of hormonal imbalance like excess facial and body hair.

Diagnosis should be done by a trained and experienced surgeon only. After a proper diagnosis by the physician, the patient should go through a proper treatment. However it takes months to have some effect on hair. Hair transplantation is a popular surgical method used in the case of female pattern baldness.

Reference:

http://www.femalepatternbaldness.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

We all have gone through the ringer in searching for medicinal treatments to treat our Hair Loss. Hair loss is a critical problem for several women, especially the ones who have achieved a certain age. This disease makes women have baldness in a bit similar pattern as men have in male pattern baldness. It can start even in teenage. I think we all have our own questions and doubts on hair baldness, there's nothing silly about that. Normally women tend to lose around 100-125 hairs per day, which is normal. The condition is apparently serious when the hair loss frequency is higher. We should have a proper knowledge of Hair loss because it takes serious problem and affect the beauty of women. When I search on baldness on the net I found a site which has valuable information about female baldness. For more info please visit: - www.femalepatternbaldness.com.

Catherine,

You have posted the exact same post twice...

I wrote in reply in your last thread this:

---

Catherine...waiting for your reply to my post.

What treatments have you found available to women that have a proven track record?

Thanks,

Bill

----

Bill

Guest Jennifer

Hi everyone,

I have question in my mind. Does the Hair Loss problem affect woman at any age? Or it has some age factor also include. What are the causes of Female Hair Loss? Plz give information on causes of hair loss.

Hi Jennifer,

I posted this on your other post...so here is a repeat:

Jennifer,

Yes, hair loss can effect women at any age, but it is much more typical in later years than earlier.

Hair loss in women can be answered similarly as to why men lose their hair. De-hydro Testosterone (DHT) is the primary cause of genetic hairloss (Androgenetic Alopecia). Whereas men are affected more commonly because of men have more testosterone, some women can be impacted if their testosterone levels are increased.

That being said, it is possible that some medications or hormonal treatments that increase testosterone may result in thinning of or loss of hair.

They are certainly many other medical reasons why men and women can lose their hair. Since I am not a doctor, I couldn't give you a list, but one cause is Telogen Effluvium. More information posted by Dr. Bill Rassman can be found here: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=153192

Do you have any specifics about your situation you want to share with us?

Bill