Can hair loss stop by it self

I was wondering, can hair loss simply stop by itself? What i mean is, if it is possible for only some of the hair on your head to be genetically vulnerable to DHT? I am not referring to the donor area, i am referring to the crown, top and front of your scalp. Is it possible for only some of the hair in this area to die out, while the rest are immune to baldness?

Just curious because I have a diffused hair loss pattern and was wondering if it was possible for it to stop at a point or does it continue until you lose all of you hair in that area?

Pharisee,

there are a lot of variations with male PATTERN baldness. Some guys never lose their crown. Some guys only lose hair in the hair line.

Diffuse thinning means that you don't really have a specific pattern (i.e. hair line receeding with thick hair behind it unaffected by mpb) but that your hair is thinning all over. If this is the case, then you will almost certainly go bald within the thinning area.

If one of the various well-known patterns of male pattern baldness expresses itself in its early stages, it is virtually unheard of for it not to progress gradually to a more severe degree of hair loss. About the only exception to this might be the man who only has a minimal fronto-temporal recession (Norwood II category). Occasionally one of these will "lock in" and stay there. It is true that many men have periods of their life during which it seems the hair loss progression accelerates and other periods in which it seems to stabilize, but in my 19 years of following men with hair loss, when you see any man 5 years later who was not on medication or transplanted, there is progression of hair loss. The two age plateaus where I see most men start this process is first in the early 20's when many, including myself, start to recede in the front corners and at the same time thin in the crown. The second is in the 40's, when a fair number of men, who previously thought they were immune to hair loss, also start to thin in front and in back. Dr. Marritt, a well-known now-retired hair surgeon from Colorado, was a movie buff and used to follow the careers of many actors who fell into this category, including Clint Eastwood, Johnny Carson, Alan Ameche, Paul Newman, and many others.

The person who replied concerning "diffuse thinning" was right on, as this one always progresses. A good way to tell at the time of a consultation if an area is going to progress later to hair loss is simply to look for miniaturization under magnification (we use 30x power in our office).If one sees more than 5% miniaturized hairs, you can be fairly certain that area is someday eventually going to clear out.

There are basically 5 main pathways of hair loss progression: (#2 is probably the commonest)

1) Diffuse thinning all over on top

2) Recession in front along with crown thinning, with eventually a band of hair across the top (mid-parietal bridge) and a weak frontal tuft of hair, with eventual disappearance of these and a resulting U-shaped area of baldness. (Norwood Scale basically follows this pattern)

3) Norwood "Variant" hair loss pattern: in which it erodes away at the front hairline edge and progresses backwards, usually sparing the rear crown/vertex.

4) The reverse, with the crown balding and then the hair loss progressing forward behind an intact front hairline (see Al Gore)

5) Residual frontal forelock pattern of strong hair with loss to both sides and all behind it.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

I stopped mine with Propecia ofr the record but I am not sure if he is uncluding meds.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Not all hair is susceptible to DHT. And those hairs that are, some appear to be more suscpetible than others.

That being said, hair loss DOES have a stopping point.

But if you are asking if genetically predisposed hairs to DHT will automatically become immuned to it with no medical treatment, the answer is a big "no" or at least, I haven't heard anything like it.

Good discussion.

Bill

Thanks for the responses...

just to clarify, what i meant is hair loss due to MPB and my question was more like are all the hairs on your head vulnerable to DHT.. to use an example; lets say you have 100 hair per cm2.. can it be possible that only 50 of those 100 are vulnerable to DHT.. hence your balding will stop when you shed the 50 since the remaining hairs are not vulnerable to DHT...

I hope that clarifies what i meant.

thanks

When someone looks into an area of thinning scalp hair under magnification and looks at an area with a significant number of "miniaturized" hairs, there obviously are also present some fairly normal, residual full-diameter hairs. Usually in future hair growth cycles, these follilcles will later start to produce instead hairs that are narrower in diameter ("wispier") and not capable of growing to full length. Why do some hairs die off early and others stay around longer? It's important to remember that the genetic programming within each follicle is still the most important determinant for what is going to happen as the years unfold in that person's lifetime. That probably is a little different in each follicle, thus explaining the fact that all the hairs don't thin and become lost at exactly the same time. I like to think of DHT having a PERMISSIVE role for the genetic pre-determined course to occur. When DHT is suppressed with finasteride or dutasteride, it appears it DELAYS the day the genetic end-result occurs, but does not prevent it.

As most of you know, as a man (or woman) becomes older, especially in the 60's, 70's, etc., there is a thinning of the hair density with loss of some hairs which we refer to as "senile alopecia," which is not thought to be under the influence of DHT.

Mike Beehner, M.D.