Effects of smoking and nicotine on DHT and hair loss

Matt Skiba

I recently made a post about 3 alpha hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase, this study here shows that smoking can affect levels of it and thus affect levels of DHT in the body. It is a common fact that smoking causes aging of the skin and is bad for cardiovascular health.

To me, it is a very believable fact that smoking is probably one of the worst choices you can make for hair loss as far as lifestyle choices go. Look through and read this government article and tell me what you think..

http://grande.nal.usda.gov/ibids/index.php?mode2=detail...rences&therow=206679

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smoking maybe can accelerate hair loss in people who are genetically predisposed to balding, just like how one's diet or extreme substances like steroids can. However, like those things, I don't think smoking will cause or influence hair loss in someone who normally wouldn't be experiencing MPB. For example, one of my uncles smoked like 2 packs a day until he was in his fifties, and he had a full head of hair. Unfortunately he is gone now, and cigarettes had a lot to do with it. But yeah, if someone has started balding I wouldn't doubt that smoking can make it worse, along with f*cking up the rest of the body. Interesting article. Smoking is whack!

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

Hi Matt

There you go.. See Propecia is not the only drug poor for your health icon_smile.gif

My dad smokes about 2 packs a day for 30 years plus. He has a FULL head of hair..

Bottom line is, if you are predisposed to be affected by DHT, you are basically screwed.

If you are healthy, your body will be overall, at it's premium. With that being said, I was losing my hair by the bucket full while I was in the best shape of my life ( no drinking, smoking, and exercising 5 times a week while eating very healthy)

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!