type 7 baldness

Hi,

I have a question regarding type7 baldness. I was losing my hair when I was 17. Since then I always shaved my head so that my hair doesnt fall. When ever I see hair fall, I shave my head. Last year, I did not shave my head for a period of 4-5months, which has caused lots of hair loss. My mid-scalp is a "play ground" and the density is very coarse along the front portion. It almost looks like a type 7 now, after 2-3 weeks of my head shave. I am planning to go for a HT. Any suggestions to circumvent this problem? Any suggestions as to how much would be the price and pain I am looking at?

Hi,

I have a question regarding type7 baldness. I was losing my hair when I was 17. Since then I always shaved my head so that my hair doesnt fall. When ever I see hair fall, I shave my head. Last year, I did not shave my head for a period of 4-5months, which has caused lots of hair loss. My mid-scalp is a "play ground" and the density is very coarse along the front portion. It almost looks like a type 7 now, after 2-3 weeks of my head shave. I am planning to go for a HT. Any suggestions to circumvent this problem? Any suggestions as to how much would be the price and pain I am looking at?

annavaram,

Welcome to our community.

A few things...

Shaving your head does not cause hair loss. Androgenetic alopecia (genetic baldness ) does OR other medical conditions. It's not a bad idea to get a dermatologists professional opinioni, however Male or Female Pattern Baldness is VERY common.

When you say type7 baldness, are you referring to a level 7 on the norwood scale?

In all honesty...most people who are a level on the norwood scale are not perfect candidates for an HT because their donor supply is more limited AND it is EXTREMELY difficult, if not impossible to get full coverage and decent density. So if you are considering a hair transplant, you are going to have to think very realisticly about your goals and what can be achieved.

If you plan on keeping any of the native hair you have on your head, you may also want to consider finasteride...this might help slow down or stop the hair loss you are currently experiencing.

Regarding price...typical costs are $4-$5 per graft up to 2000 grafts and then discounted to about $2.50 after that. The rule of thumb is to take your norwood level and multiply by 1000-1500 in order to determine how many grafts you need for decent coverage and density. As I said, a NW7 will be more limited, so you will have to decide whether or not you want more coverage or density. So depending on how many grafts you want and the doctors can get, you may be looking at over $20000 when all is said and done. Most likely, you would need at least 2 sessions to accomplish your goals assuming you are a good candidate for surgery.

How old are you now? What is your family history of hair loss? Do you have any pictures you can post?

I hope this helps get you started.

Bill

Bill has some good advice and some good questions for you.

I was a little confused by the shaving when you see hair loss comment. Can you expound on that? As was mentioned, shaving your hair has no relationship with hair loss.

Some pics would be great to see if you have any.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hi

Agreed. it could be one of those illusion things ..

cheers

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

From my experience, whenever I shave my head, I notice that most of my hair grows back a lot thinner than before and that's if they grow back at all. The thing about shaving your head if you suffer from baldness is that your hairs are already weak, so if you shave it off, it might not grow back at all, that's why I stopped shaving my head. Shaving doesn't cause baldness, but it does make it harder for you to regrow your hair, at least that's what I have experienced.

NW7 is tough, I am about at that level with diffuse thinning. I would reccomend getting on some finesteride first. If you do get a transplant, take care of the front first, you'll be amazed at how well you look overall with a hairline to frame your face. After that you can work your way to the back. Just understand that you'll have a higher hairline, bigger forehead, and your density would not be too great, especially in the crown, but it should be better than nothing.

Price is different for every clinic but $3-4/graft should be what you will be paying. You shouldn't have to pay more than $4/graft when all is done, including travel reimbursment and other things, other wise you will just be overpaying.

stillhere,

Shaving your head is just a coincidence. If it doesn't grow back at all or is thinner, it's just MPB taking impact. It would have happened whether or not you shaved your head...sad, but true.

Jolly,

It really depends on a patient's goals verses donor laxity and density. But a NW7 will never recieve both full coverage and decent density. One will have to be sacrificed if surgery.

Bill