continuation

vikas

Vikas,

Welcome to the forums.

Procerin is nothing more than "hair loss vitamins" and has not been approved by the FDA or any other governing agency anywhere in the world to have shown any efficacy whatsoever.

Pulled from a website touting Procerin:

"It is a hair loss supplement, a blend of herbs, vitamins and minerals specially formulated to block production of DHT, the primary cause of hair loss in men. Procerin is an all-natural DHT inhibitor to use internally to stop hair loss and promote the regrowth of new hair...Certain herbs and minerals, in the proper mixture, can bind with 5 alpha-reductase and prevent it from transforming the testosterone into DHT. Supplements with the correct ingredients can halt the effects of DHT, and even assist in the regrowth of hair, particularly in men ages 18-40."

Not a very specific description at all. The "certain herbs and minrals" line gets to me.

I don't know about you, but I have seen, literally, HUNDREDS of products for hair loss described exactly like that.

I cannot say for certain if it works or not, because I have not tried it. I have also never talked to anyone else that has had any success whatsoever with it. I strongly suggest that you do some real research before parting with your money on this product.

About Provillus...well, I had to google that one because it's new to me. Here is what I found:

"Provillus blocks DHT (dihydrotestostrone) from getting to your body, which is one of the major causes of hair loss. The Breakthrough formula of Provillus was designed to block DHT and supply the proper nutrients to your body specifically tailored to prevent hair loss and to help you regrow hair naturally. Strong, healthy hair begins with the proper nutritional building blocks. You don't have to wait until there's a problem to prevent it! Provillus supplements your body's natural supply of these nutrients and lets the tiny follicles beneath your scalp receive exactly what they need to create beautiful, full-bodied hair."

Where have I heard a description like that before? Oh yeah, Procerin.

Now, Propecia is an actual prescription medication that was originally developed as Proscar (in a different doseage) for BPH in adult males. In 1997, Merck introduced Propecia in 1mg pill form and recieved FDA approval to market the drug specifically for hair loss. I wrote an article on Propecia and another medication called Avodart not too long ago. It's filled with some good information that I have compiled over the last few months and I think that you would benefit from reading it. The thread is here.

My advice would be to talk to a doctor about Propecia and start on it if it is right for you. It is a proven hair loss medication that has helped many, many users on this forum. As for the other stuff, add it in if you like but the backbone of your regimen is going to be the Propecia.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

sir,

thank you vry much for your valuable information.but it has raised an elsement of doubt after going through the side efffects of propecia.is there not any permanent cure for hair loss without any side effects.

also how about hair transplants.do they work.

dont we get natural hair wigs in the market.could that be a solution.i hv started looking bald at such a young age.i m really shattered.

No, propecia is all there is. You can always try it. There is only a 2% risk of side effects. If you do experience them, you simply stop taking it. The side effects would then go away.

Even with a Hair Transplant you would still need to be on Propecia to prevent further loss of you existing hair.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

In my opinion the side effects of finasteride are overstated. At any rate you should at least try it. The younger you are the more likely it is to prevent hair loss so get on it. As Gorpy says if you do get side effects (which is unlikely) you can stop using it.

Regarding transplantation - not advisable for someone so young. But you do have Dr. Poswal in India and he seems to be gaining a solid reputation (although India is a pretty big place and I have absolutely no idea how near or far he is from you).

A hair transplant is only "permanent" in the sense that the transplanted hair does not fall out because it is not susceptible to male pattern baldness. That's the whole point. However, there are many things about hair maintenance that need to be considered. Your existing hair (the hair that was not transplanted) IS susceptible to MPB and it will fall out eventually. That is why you need to get on Propecia to stop it or slow it down dramatically. There is not enough hair in the donar area to give you a full head of hair on top. So you MUST maintain some of your existing hair.

People do NOT get HT's every month. You need to spend time reading this board to learn about hair transplants. You have much to learn my friend.

People get multiple hair transplants (usually a year or more apart) for the following reasons:

1) To add density to a previous transplant.

2) To cover an area not covered in the previous transplant.

3) To repair a previous bad transplant.

4) To add hair as your native hair continues to recede.

Look at some of the web sites of the doctors recommended on this site. They explain in detail the issues surrounding transplants.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Just to add: There is no "permanent" cure for hairloss in the terms of medication. Even Propecia isn't necessarily permanent as it may slow or stop it to some extent, but doesn't work on everyone. Most people have luck at least slowing or stopping existing hairloss, but I'm very cautious when using the word "cure" as there is no known cure for hairloss yet. Propecia may prevent further loss and very rarely may even regrow some hair, though it could definately strengthen dying hair. That is the "best bet" as to treating hairloss medically, but it is certainly not a cure. I just wanted to be technical on that. Hair Transplants can be excellent options depending on your level of hairloss and goals, but are very costly when it comes down to it. A 2000 graft transplant could cost about $8000. There is much to consider BEFORE getting a transplant, so be sure to do your homework and talk to some recommended ethical docs listed on this site. I hope that helps.

Bill

Originally posted by vikas:

sir,

u said dr poswal is gaining the reputation.but is HT a permanent solution.how do we mantain it.i have heard HTs need to be redone every month or so.is that true.

Vikas,

please do some thorough study on the subject of hair transplants.

Your comments regarding hair transplants needing to be got done everymonth or so, sends alarm bells ringing in my ears.

I was as stupid and unaware as you seem to be when I went for my first HT.

Do not expect people to spoonfeed you.

This forum has some very helpful contributors. But you need to do some homework on your own too.

Or you may do a good thing getting in touch with a good dermatologist near you.

BTW, which city in India are you from?

Bad plug grafts from Mumbai.

Undergoing repair HT from Dr. Arvind, New Delhi.

2500 FU grafts + 35 chest hair grafts in June 05.

sir,

i m actually staying in bangalore.ya i was unaware about HT but i actually took it as hair weaving.i have done my homework on HT now.could you suggest a good dermatologist or trichologist in blore.besides,could u tell about the costs involved in your HT.is it safe enough?i plan to go for it next yr when i start earning.sad all my income will go there.but i cant stand losing anymore hair.how do i stop it sir.plz help!

hi,

i saw a dermatologist just yesterday and when i talked about propecia he actually got angry on me.instead he has prescribed minidoxil-5% but after going thru some of the posts in this forum im scared to use it.should i go ahead with it.can i use it 1nce a day .ll ilose all the hairifi discontinue it.plz advice!!

I don't understand why a dermatologist would get angry with you for asking about Propecia. Minoxidil has its place for those that choose to use it (I use it myself with no problem) however, it does not inhibit DHT, which is the culprit of male-pattern baldness.

Can you let us know why he got angry?

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

hi,

i saw a dermatologist just yesterday and when i talked about propecia he actually got angry on me.instead he has prescribed minidoxil-5% but after going thru some of the posts in this forum im scared to use it.should i go ahead with it.can i use it 1nce a day .ll ilose all the hairifi discontinue it.plz advice!!

Just remember that if you start minoxidil 5%, you have to stay with it indefinitely. Once you stop using it, you are in for a nasty surprise (I stopped using it 2 months ago and I know what I'm talking about icon_frown.gif )

PB

hi,

i saw a dermatologist just yesterday and when i talked about propecia he actually got angry on me.

I say, dump the dermatologist fast. icon_smile.gif

Go find a second opinion.

How about posting some pictures of your hairloss. Will be easier to advise that way.

7500 grafts till now. All by Dr. Arvind/Dr.A, New Delhi.

They include strip FUHT, FUE and body hair grafts.

Hoping to accomplish full hair restoration.

hi,

seems every1 wants to know why my dermatologist got angry.he thought iwas too young and said my erection wuld go.he felt i didn no anythin about it.i hv now lost hope.i plan not to do anythin and instead go 4 regular transplants.can that be a way.i wuld love to preserve the hair thati hv 4 atleast 4 yrs till i get married atleast.i m usin nizral2% shampoo.will that solve the dandruff and itching problem.

Originally posted by PB:

Just remember that if you start minoxidil 5%, you have to stay with it indefinitely.

A very good reminder. That is exactly why I never started it. Just couldn't be bothered with the cost, the complication, the mess and the commitment. One Finasteride pill every other day is about all I feel comfortable with. No regrets so far.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

hi,

seems every1 wants to know why my dermatologist got angry.he thought iwas too young and said my erection wuld go.he felt i didn no anythin about it.i hv now lost hope.i plan not to do anythin and instead go 4 regular transplants.can that be a way.i wuld love to preserve the hair thati hv 4 atleast 4 yrs till i get married atleast.i m usin nizral2% shampoo.will that solve the dandruff and itching problem.

Just getting hair transplants isn't a solution. You have a very good chance at receding behind the transplanted grafts and will just end up chasing hair with hair. You have nowhere near the available donor area hair to cover your entire scalp. It is extremely wise to try to hang on to your native hair as much as you can.

-Robert

Vikas,

You need to get another Doctor. The one you are seeing is very ignorant.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album