More discussion about AVODART

Dart:

That was EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thanks!

But, with a screen name like "Dart" sounds like AVO-Dart can't be too much of a stretch now can it? icon_smile.gif

I'm going to read the Avodart Prescribing Info and the Proscar Prescribing Info and post some comparisions later on.

On another note:

FIRST MYTH: Avodart's half-life is 6 months. FALSE. It's steady-state half-life is 5 weeks. It takes about 4-6 months for the presence of Avodart (dutasteride) to leave the body, in essence. That is a lot different than saying the half-life of a drug is 6 months. I've been perpetuating a falsehood. Sorry. icon_frown.gif

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input into the thread I began about Avodart. I appreciated the feedback. I am still surprised that there has not been more attention and exposure in this community to this medication. It was hailed for so long as the next big thing. It sounds like there is still hesitation surrounding this drug.

I would really like it if any HT docs could chime in with their opinion about this...but given that I'm rather new to posting often, I don't know if this is the right forum to get doctors involved in discussion.

Curious to know if there is anything ELSE in the pipeline (RE: new medications) I haven't heard anything, but maybe others know. Hoping to get more feedback from anybody, in the meantime. And again, thanks

LO:

Haha, docs will almost CERTAINLY tell you that Avodart is not a good gamble and that Propecia is more appropriate.

Why? Two reasons:

1) It is more risky and dangerous than Propecia, and, there is no "hair loss specific" clinical study completed by the drug's manufacturer, SKB, like there is with Propecia.

2) Since Propecia is FDA-approved to treat hairloss, HT or skin docs can prescribe it without fear of any "issues". Also, writing scripts is good for business. Don't kid yourself on that one.

My bet is NO doc comes on this forum and recommends Avodart over Propecia. And now you know the reason.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.