norwood 1-2

Guest chriswales

Guest chriswales

i have a receeding hair line since i was 16 i am now 22

i have got in contact with dr rogers and he said that i should go to the clinic for a consultation

but i do not want to travel a few hundred miles for him to say no

i need one done as its really getting me down also it can interfeer with my future plans job wise

if i told them this do you think that the would consider me for the transplant.

Guest chriswales

i have a receeding hair line since i was 16 i am now 22

i have got in contact with dr rogers and he said that i should go to the clinic for a consultation

but i do not want to travel a few hundred miles for him to say no

i need one done as its really getting me down also it can interfeer with my future plans job wise

if i told them this do you think that the would consider me for the transplant.

Chris,

You are going to hear it from several of us so I guess I might as well be the 1st-- you are too young to consider a HT. Try to get yourself on a good hair care regimen that may include medications that will help to slow down your hairloss. It is not that a physician won't perform the surgery, but it definitely is more challenging because it is difficult to predict your future hairloss and therefore where to place the grafts. Possibly try going with a very short hair cut or the shaved look and see if it's something that you start to like. There is no turning back once you have had a transplant. You will likely need more in the future to fill in areas as your native hair leaves. Just give it some time.

Research the heck out of this site and get as educated on the process as possible so that if you decide to go thru with it you are well informed. Only choose a physician that is a Coalition member as with others there are no guarantees of good results.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Guest chriswales

ive heard that before

but i know how much loss im expecting as my fathers the same as me

you only live once and why should the young years be unhappy stuck in not doing any thing just because of my age

ive used products such as minoxidil, its rubbish

im after a permanent solution even if they have to be topped up every couple of years.

in my opinion if you have got the money for 1 and this is what you want then why cant they do it

if a girl was unhappy with her breasts people would jump at the chance to solve the problem

Boobs are different than hair Chris.

You get to add material from outside the body itself to improve/enhance the appearance of the breasts.

With Hair Transplantation, you can only accomplish what YOUR individual donor characteristics will allow you to. This coupled with your physiology will determine what your final look will be.

Your idea of "staying ahead" of your hairloss is a fallacy that preys on the impetuous nature of youth.

You can never stay ahead of hairloss, you can only redistribute existing hair. This hair has to come from somewhere, and is a finite source.

Just think of it as supply and demand.

Right now your supply will meet your demands.

5 years from now, you may not have enough donor to cover the entire balding area, and you may have to chose to have a bald crown or a "thin" look overall.

Just be careful and use logic. Spend 3-5 months doing research and asking questions.

Then proceed. If you decide to do a HT, your decision will be based on the knowledge of the risk you are taking.

Hope this helps you out buddy!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Guest Cousin_It

chriswales...

I would not jump into a transplant at your age without considering the consequences later on in life. You need to be very cautious at this time.

Granted, a transplant now will likely improve your appearance temporarily, but at what cost? Because you hair loss has begun at such an early age, it may tend to be aggressive. Even a transplant at this time may not look good in a year once it grows fully due to the fact you may end up losing a certain amount of your native hair during this time period.

As B spot added, your donor hair is finite. Once you run low on this you will be in trouble. If I were you I would get a prescription for finesteride and start the process of preventing further hair loss and possibly regrowing a portion of what you have lost. You do not know how effective it can be until you try it. Give it about a year before making any serious considerations on a transplant. I would also recommend using the new Rogain foam, it can be very effective when used in conjunction with the finesteride. They may very well do the trick and allow you a considerable time before before an actual transplant would be needed.

I hope you take our advice seriously. A transplant is a big step that cannot be reversed. I wish you the best of luck in your predicament. If you have further concerns please feel free to ask.

Chris,

The choice is up to you, of course, Chris. Whereas age is not the only important factor to consider, it is important nonetheless. I hope you take these posts as people trying to help you make an educated decision. I know it's difficult to lose your hair...we are all in the same boat, some further along than others. BUT...I think it's important to look at your long term goals here and not the short term. You should be seriously thinking about all these factors before considering surgery:

1. You can NEVER know how much hairloss to expect. You can look at your family hairloss as a guide, but it's never 100%. I have already lost more hair than my father has, and the "promise" of the link to your mother's father has proven way false in my case, since he has a full head of hair and by the time I was 27 was a Norwood 5A.

2. Since you can't possibly determine how much hairloss you will have, you can't possibly determine how many grafts you will need long term yet.

3. Donor hair is limited...you will not be able to get endless transplants. Once you transplant all your donor hair, that's it...no second chances. That's why it's important to plan well the first time.

4. Consider medication (Finasteride and/or minoxodil) in your gameplan. This will help you slow or stop future hairloss and maybe even regrow hair if you are lucky.

5. Education is very important. Do you know how this surgery works? Commercials from say "Bosley" or "MHR" on TV do NOT accurately show the reality of the surgery. The hair doesn't magically get removed from the sides and back of your head and start to grow on top of your head like these stupid commercials convey. A surgeon takes a surgical knife and carves pieces of your scalp out that contain hair follicles, then they sew you back together and there is a healing process.

Learn what surgery entails and the risks that go along with it:

1. Shockloss (temporary and permanent)

2. Scarring in the donor area

3. Healing time

4. How does surgery work?

5. How long does it take for the hair to start to grow and then fully mature?

6. How many surgeries will you need? (most people, especially those who get surgery early will need multiple surgeries)

I hope these posts have been helpful to you in determining what to do.

Bill