5 month photo updates

Now that I have passed the two-month post-op mark (day 66), I figure I should post some updated photos and let you guys see how my progress has been. I tried to add the updated photos to my original album, but received an error message about not having the right permission to do so. Therefore, I had to create a new album to upload the 2-month photos. You can look at my pre-op pictures as well as graft counts from my previous album: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=144837

First of all, I just had a #4 haircut few days ago. I think the consensus on the forum is that you can go as short as #2 haircut without revealing the donor scar. But in my case, even a #4 cut wasn't enough to hide it, hopefully it will get better with time. Also, as you can see, I have experienced moderate amount of shock loss in the donor area. At this point, 90% of my grafts have long shed, and I am actually getting some growth in the recipient area. From what I have read, it takes about 3-4 months before you see sprouting. So am I considered an early bloomer?

Anyway, what do you guys think of my overall progress at this stage?

Billy, Billy, Billy_the_bald, It's looking just as it should bro. Each person and case is different and no results can be guranteed or promised. Any surgical procedure especially of the cosmetic nature are totaly elective and voluntary therefore even with the Dr. doing his best (which they always do) the final result might not be what the patient expected. It is important to do lots and lots of research and then some more research and come to forums like this where you can get lots and lots of unbiased , wholesome, truthfull information, support , handholing and a shoulder to cry on before deciding to get a HT which is a major surgical procedure as I am sure you were informed since I was told all that and I still chose to go ahead and get it done anway. Buyer beware is my moto now. I would also get a 2nd, 3rd and to be on the safe side 4th opinion from the approved and vetted Drs. on this site. Think of a vetted Dr. as a neutered dog, they are harmless. Oh I almost forgot or maybe you know this already but it won't hurt if you hear it again, WAIT,WAIT, and WAIT some more. It takes time for the hair to grow and look fantastic which it will I promise you even if your Dr. doesn't. Now I am not a Dr. and have never played one on TV but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Bill_The_Bald,

Thanks for updating us on your progress bro. Dr. Cooley is an excellent doctor.

At 2 months post op, you are very early in the game. It's even too early to determine if you are an early bloomer, though the fact that you have ANY growth at this point is certainly gravy.

Personally, I started experiencing some early growth at the 2 month mark as well...but typically nothing really explodes or sprouts until later. But hang in there and be patient...the best is to come.

I do see the signs of shockloss in the donor area you are talking about. Definitely people can experience this...I know I did especially from my second surgery. Thankfully it's a temporary inconvenience that we all go through...but it should all grow back.

Keep us posted bro.

Scarred4life,

Thank you for a much less abrasive approach to your posting. We can all certainly appreciate your experience and your caution...nothing wrong with that whatsoever. I'm just glad you are starting to combine objectivity with your personal experience in your posts.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Of course this is much too early in the game to see any results at 2 months post op. Your immediate post op pics look great. I think Dr. Cooley and staff performed an excellent procedure on you. It looks like you've kept some of your transplants, don't be worried if they still fall out. Your shock loss hairs at the donor should be coming back soon. It looks like you have a good foundation started with the 2700+ grafts.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing! Did had any chance to speak to Dr. Cooley about some of these issues you are having like the shock loss in the donor area and redness in the donor? If so, what were his comments?

How do you feel about your HT so far?

Thanks.

rp1979,

During my initial consultation, I did ask Dr. Cooley about the possibility of donor area shock loss. He said it was so rare he only saw it happening on two patients, and both of them had more than one HT surgery, so he suspected it was caused by multiple traumas to the donor region, and in both cases the hair eventually grew back. Personally, I am not too concerned, because I have seen pictures posted by other forum members whose donor shock loss region was several times bigger than mine, but all the hair still grew back in the end.

As for the redness of the scar, I read this one post saying that this is basically a wound that can take several months to heal, so the redness may be around for quite a while, so this seems pretty normal to me at this stage. Keep in mind that I just had a short haircut. Once my hair grow longer, you probably can't see it anymore.

The other thing that doesn't show from the photos is that I am still experiencing some numbness on the recipient area, which seems to be improving everyday. I guess this is also to be expected, considering my nerve ends have been severed by several thousand needle holes. Overall, I have reached the post op point where I can carry on with my normal daily routines while waiting for my hair to grow. If you compare against my pre-op photos, even at this point I have more hair than before, so my feelings are certainly toward the positive side.

Hi Bill,

Interesting comments by Dr. Cooley. I had no donor area shock loss from my first two small Bosley (Yikes!) HT's, but my January 2007 FUT (3500 grafts) produced significant loss. The multiple procedure theory may have substance.

Bayer,

Not sure about the multiple surgery theory for shockloss...but it's possible. Regarding my donor shockloss, I experienced virtually no shockloss for my first surgery, a lot in my second, and only a little on my third. I'd love to hear from a doctor regarding some of the specific variables that might account for shockloss, especially since it seems to be a bit randomized, even when dealing with the same person...which means physiology can't be the whole deal.

Bill

Hi all

I experienced the same shockloss ( minimal) in all three of my surgeries.. The big plus for me was using an Aloe Vera based shampoo ( 50%) post op#3 on my donor area. I made sure at about day 9, to wash and massage the area twice a day..

I can tell you my healing has been about 40% better than my previous two surgeries.. By this I mean

- The scar is sealed up quicker

- Less redness

- Quicker healing and regrowth of surrounding hair

I am not BS'ing, but it also be due to my fear in the previous 2 surgeries to wash the donor area "firmly". This changed after my pre op meeting with Dr. True who told me I had some slight "extra" scarring in the donor area due to scabbing. I was sure to not have this post op number 3

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 2 months later...

Looks good, Bill! You are definitely seeing growth. Can you give us your personal thoughts/comments on your progress thus far? Thanks for posting your progress. Please continue to do so.

rp1979,

Even at this early stage post op, I am fairly happy about my progress. At 4 month my donor area is growing back enough native hair to make the shock loss virtually undetectable, even after a #4 haircut (the shortest I'll ever go) as seen from the posted photos, especially considering a recent thread where couple posters were still plagued by donor shock loss at 8 month post op.

As for my recipient area, while far from maturity, there is enough growth to make a significant cosmetic difference compared to pre-op. There were couple recent threads started by folks complaining they see so little growth after 6 months. The advice from the veterans is that patience is the only way to tackle this. While this is 100% true logically, but psychologically I will much rather to see signs of growth at month 3 instead of month 6!!! It saves me months of doubt, insecurity, frustration, and of course the time wasted staring at the mirror icon_smile.gif So I guess compared to some of the other HT patients, I should consider myself lucky.

Can't wait to see how much more growth I'll get in another 4 months!!

Bill_the_not_so_Bald,

4 month pictures look great! Donor shockloss has filled in nicely too!

I was trying to go back to see the immediately post op pictures, but due to the number and size of the pictures, my computer starts to experience problems with the new Adobe Flash layout!

Keep us posted bro,

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Updating my album with 5 month post op photos. Also, I moved the pre-op and immediate post op photos from my original album to here, so that everything is now in one album.

Overall, I am very happy with my results so far. After reading about some worried posters who hardly experienced any growth in 5 or 6 months, I feel really lucky.

Looking good Bill

Your growth looks good and you still have lots of time for additional growth..

When you go to a good doctor, you get good results

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!