Question, questions

Hello all,

I am a 31 year old male and am considering a hair transplant. I have read a lot on here about the membership and coalition members.

I have a few concerns, some nervousness and questions that I am hoping someone can answer. I have also had a consultation with Dr. Nakatsui where it was recommended that we do 2500 grafts to the restore the frontal area and "fill in the top" I think I am a 3V and have excellent thick donor hair.

1) How wide and long is the scar going to be?

2) Since I still have a fair amount of native hair on top, I am very concerned about the shock effect on this recipient area. I have heard stories about people have less hair than before.

3) I think I have already answered this next one, but is it necessary then to shave down the recipient area to do the HT? I have a sales job that requires me to visit many clients, so you can see my concern that my hair will look really weird (long on the sides and back, and short on the top).

4) How good is Dr. Nakatsui compared to Dr. Wong?

5) Is the FUE treatment as advanced as FUT? Should I consider doing the FUE so as to avoid the scar and then being able to shave my head while the hair regrows?

Thanks for any answers!

Hello all,

I am a 31 year old male and am considering a hair transplant. I have read a lot on here about the membership and coalition members.

I have a few concerns, some nervousness and questions that I am hoping someone can answer. I have also had a consultation with Dr. Nakatsui where it was recommended that we do 2500 grafts to the restore the frontal area and "fill in the top" I think I am a 3V and have excellent thick donor hair.

2) Since I still have a fair amount of native hair on top, I am very concerned about the shock effect on this recipient area. I have heard stories about people have less hair than before.

3) I think I have already answered this next one, but is it necessary then to shave down the recipient area to do the HT? I have a sales job that requires me to visit many clients, so you can see my concern that my hair will look really weird (long on the sides and back, and short on the top).

5) Is the FUE treatment as advanced as FUT? Should I consider doing the FUE so as to avoid the scar and then being able to shave my head while the hair regrows?

Thanks for any answers!

It will be between 1.5 to 2.0 cm wide X up to 30 cm long.

Most or all of the native should regrow however if the native hair was already miniaturizing or on its way out you may loose that hair.

Either way for a while your hair will look worse than pre HT.

Probably necessary to shave the recipient area especially if you have a lot of native hair you are transplanting to.

Plan on the recipient area being pink or red for up to 2 months, in some cases you may be lucky & have minimal redness.

Seen lots of good work out of Wong on here, have not seen any posted on here by Nakasui

FUE will leave punch scars, so there is no benefit there.

FUE cost up to 3 times as much.

you will have thin areas where the FUE were taken.

With FUS the strip is closed so the scalp comes together & the hair doesn't appear thinner.

Just less scalp.

Hope that helps & Good Luck!

Hello baldeagle11,

Firstly I wanted to warn you about making assumptions about your donor hair - namely, hair thickness (as in the density of the individual hair shafts) is only one concern when it comes to donor quality. The other conserns are hair characteristics: is the hair wavy, kinky, fine, ect. The next is density of the area as a whole - this refers to the hair count (number of follicles and hair shafts) within the donor area on average. Hair donor density is different than individual hair shaft thickness and should not be confused, though they often are. For instance: ethnic hair types often have less donor density and yet a better, thicker quality hair shaft (this isn't always true, but can be in a number of cases). I, for example, have been classified as having excellent donor density, but medium to average hair shaft thickness. Both good donor density and excellent hair quality can contribute to a more pleasing transplant effect. The other donor quality consideration is the tightness of the skin in the donor area. The looser the skin in this area, or the more "give", the more the doc can excise for the transplant.

1) The scars width should be pencil thin, or less (if you choose a quality doc) and the length would be determinate on the number of graphs. In your case, probably only taken from the back of your head for the 2500. That is a vertical line fron one end, behind the ear to the other ear.

2) Shock loss is minimized by docs using small blades. Your shock loss should be mimimum (if any) if you use a quality doc. But shock loss isn't the only consern, you should also ask the doc how he/she plans to avoid transection - where the transplanting can destroy native hair because of poor placement. This is the primary reason why some doc make their patients have their heads shaved: so that they can clearly make out the position of the native hair and plan accordingly.

3) I think I answered most of this question in #2, but in addition I could add that most clinics will shave the rest of your head for you after or before the transplant.

4) I have not spoken with either doc, but they are both coalition members, so I think you would be in excellent hands with either.

5) FUE is an extraction method for the graphs, FUT is the placement of these grafts no matter how they are extracted: whether by FUE or FUSS (strip extraction). If you want 2500+, FUE is not an option. I believe that only 1000 - 2000 can be done in this way and it is expensive and takes a LOT of the docs time.

baldeagle...

Welcome to our community.

Answers to your questions:

1. Length and width of your scar will depend on number of grafts, donor density and donor laxity. You can share your concerns with your doctor and he/she will work with you. Keep in mind that depending on how long or wide the scar ends up will ultimately impact how many grafts you receive. Read more here: http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/346...271083313#3271083313

2. Shockloss is always a possibility, but keep in mind there is temporary and permanent shock. Temporary shocked hairs will come back whereas permanently shocked hairs will not. Read more about it here: http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/346...421094723#2421094723

3. Some doctors shave the recipient area, some don't. Shaving the recipient area is optimal for the clinic to determine hair direction and angulation and is extremely important IMO for the diffuse thinner or other cases where hair is being transplanted between native hair.

4. I couldn't directly answer this question...though if I am correct, Dr. Nakatsui was at the very least partially trained by Dr. wong or at least Dr. Nakatsui was given the stamp of approval by Dr. Wong. PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THIS as I may be confusing Dr. Nakatsui with another physician.

5. I would read the following thread: http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/346...791065613#1791065613

Bill

Bald eagle,

As for being able to shave your head while your hair grows out - using FUE in small sessions (500 to 700 at a time)you will be able to acheive this. I shaved my donor area and sides to zero guard after the 2nd day and was at work the 4th day. It will look like a rash on the back of your head - easy to explain. Let me say alot easier than a 30cm smiley face posted on the back of your head.

Large strip sessions are the way to go if you can deal with the permanent smiley face and about six months of major hair issues.

I'm no expert just opinion from my experience.

good luck,

PJ

PJ,

Glad to hear your post-surgical experience has been positive thus far icon_smile.gif

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.