When does shock loss occur?

I had a hair transplant 3 months ago and already I have hair growing in. My problem, however, is that I seem to be shedding hair at the donor site. I had no hair loss the first 2 months but now at the the third month it seems like when I rub or comb my hair, there is lots of hair on hands or in the comb. I know it must be from shockloss because I've never had this degree of shedding before. Does shockloss occur this late in the transplant process? How can I stop the shedding?

I had a hair transplant 3 months ago and already I have hair growing in. My problem, however, is that I seem to be shedding hair at the donor site. I had no hair loss the first 2 months but now at the the third month it seems like when I rub or comb my hair, there is lots of hair on hands or in the comb. I know it must be from shockloss because I've never had this degree of shedding before. Does shockloss occur this late in the transplant process? How can I stop the shedding?

So...since we're on the topic, when do these sheds normally (if one can generalize) occur? My understanding was that the implanted grafts shed initially, within a month or so. Is this part of the normal HT growth cycle, or is it related to other products (Rogaine, Propecia, etc.)?

I've always referred to shedding (right or wrong) with respect to Finasteride or Duasteride. With HT's I refer to it as shock loss if you shed native hairs, or shedding, I suppose, regarding the transplanted grafts/hairs. I suppose I'm splitting hairs, eh? icon_wink.gif

Faceless - Here's my take on things.........

----Shock Loss Shed - affects native hair - likely to be noticed within the first month of your HT. Sometimes experienced around donor area. More evident if you don't shave down for HT...IMO. The may or may not return. I had some with each HT. I noticed for HT #2 that shocked native hair started to return at the 2 month 1 week time period. I could tell the difference between it and HT hair as the shocked native hair came in coarse like beard stubble versus HT new growth being very fine.

----HT Graft Shed - affects newly transplanted grafts/hairs, likely to happen within first few weeks of your HT. Regrowth will definitely happen but timing varies for everyone. I'm guessing the average starting period for grown in front/mid-scalp to be around 3 months....I started at 6 weeks. For crown, I'd delay that another month all the way around. New HT hair shouldn't really shed again other than in its normal resting (Telogen phase) cycle like any other hair on your head.

----Finasteride/Duasteride Shed(maybe Minox, I don't use it or know for sure but I think so) - affects native hair.. or any growing hair, this may or may not happen and there's no way to tell. This shed is noticable when the meds kick a large quantity of your hair into the Telogen (resting) phase at one time. Normally, anywhere from 10%-15% of your hair is in the Telogen phase at any given time. For some reason, Fin and Dut have the uncanny ability to kick in more than normal all at once, say up to 25% (just guessing) or more causing it to be noticable. This hair WILL regrow after the resting period which is around 5-6 weeks.

Hope this helps somewhat...............

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.