Hair Transplant Question

Ataylor

Hello,

I've asked a few questions on here before, but I'm still debating on whether or not I want to go through with any of the procedures that are available at the moment.

I just wanted to ask you guys whether or not you've heard of a transplant procedure that involves extraction of hair follicles from any part of the body. For instance, I was told that there is a physician that would be able to extract hair follicles from my chest and insert them into the needed area on my head.

Is this possible? If so, what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,

-Anthony

Hello,

I've asked a few questions on here before, but I'm still debating on whether or not I want to go through with any of the procedures that are available at the moment.

I just wanted to ask you guys whether or not you've heard of a transplant procedure that involves extraction of hair follicles from any part of the body. For instance, I was told that there is a physician that would be able to extract hair follicles from my chest and insert them into the needed area on my head.

Is this possible? If so, what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,

-Anthony

You'll get varying opinions on this but I wouldn't consider using body hair for a HT before using the hair on my head. Those who don't have enough donor hair may want to use it as a supplement to "fill in". However, the hair texture and growth is different and won't provide as good of coverage as donor hair from your head.

From what I understand (others can correct me if I'm wrong) obtaining donor hair from the body would be the same method as FUE. Any particular reason you don't want to consider STRIP as you can get far more grafts for less money? The success rate for growth will be higher for STRIP than for FUE.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Originally posted by hairbank:

From what I understand (others can correct me if I'm wrong) obtaining donor hair from the body would be the same method as FUE. Any particular reason you don't want to consider STRIP as you can get far more grafts for less money? The success rate for growth will be higher for STRIP than for FUE.

Setting aside the question of whether or not body hair would (eventually) blend in with one's scalp hair, is there any reason why an HT surgeon couldn't use the strip method for harvesting body-hair grafts for transplantation to the scalp?

Granted, one would realise less donor hair from a strip taken from the body (although with my abundant chest hair, I'm not certain it would always be that much less). But on the plus side, more, and longer, strips could be taken, and, though I cannot speak for others, I would be far less concerned about the resultant scar(s) on my body than on the back of my head.

I would be far less concerned about the resultant scar(s) on my body than on the back of my head.

Exactly! The thing with me is that I don't want any scars anywhere. I don't want to go through with the STRIP procedure. What I had in mind was to have the surgeon perform FUE, but use my chest hair instead of follicles from my head. That's what I'm trying to inquire about - whether that would be a good transplant or not.

Ataylor, good question. I think the major issue with body hair is threefold: 1. Blending and appearance is always iffy at best. I know that body hair is supposed to take on the characteristics of scalp hair, but I have not seen many examples of this as of yet.

2. There currently is no proven method that will assure you that YOUR body hair will regrow and will continue to be immune to the effects of DHT. (even IF you do the 10-15 test grafts) This is my main concern.

3. You will be signing on for many small sessions taking from a limited donor source (unless you are a gorilla icon_biggrin.gif)

At this point I would recommend you consider either strip or FUE procedures, and have your surgeon transplant a FEW 15-25 body hair grafts just to give you an idea of how you will respond. Large amounts of body hair would not provide a natural looking head of hair (IMO ONLY) Of course, you could just shave down icon_smile.gif

To answer the body strip question: I have come across a few guys who had 300 to 500 grafts removed via strip from the chest area. It looked extremely painful to me, personally, and not something I would consider. If I was going to do a BHT, I would opt for FUE only.

So to fully answer your question, transplanting large amounts of body hair would probably not solve your problem. At this point BHT is for filler only and is most often used to thicken the crown areas only.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks for the reponse, Bspot, hairbank, and Hair Apparent icon_smile.gif

It might help if I mention that I have Temporal Triangular Alopecia (TTA). It's an oval shaped area on the right side of my head which is missing hair. I was told by a physician on this board that it would generally take between 100 and 200 grafts to fill in. Even though it is a small area to cover, I still want the best procedure, whatever it may be ??“ of course, as long as it doesn't involve the STRIP method.

Sounds like you are a good candidate for FUE with a small procedure like that.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Ataylor, I would think that FUE from your scalp donor source would be the best for you. I am not convinced that body hair anywhere near the frontal region would be a good idea. Removing 100-200 grafts would be IDEAL for a FUE session, both in effectiveness and for your pocketbook. I hope this helps!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks a lot for the response, guys.

My main concern with using my donor area is that I usually trim the sides really low - downwards of about a 0 blade, and that's pretty much why I don't want any visible scaring. I'm kind of (actually very) frustrated and confused as to what I should do right now.

Where does the donor area begin and where does it end? Maybe the physician can take the grafts from right behind the top of my head? That way I'd be able to trim the lower portion and sides of my head without the possibility of any scars showing.

Any other thoughts?