Should I stop MSM??

My HT with Dr. Epstein is on April 16th and I was wondering if I should stop MSM intake prior to my procedure or if can keep going until the day of my surgery. Thanks in advance.

Regards

Ralph

My HT with Dr. Epstein is on April 16th and I was wondering if I should stop MSM intake prior to my procedure or if can keep going until the day of my surgery. Thanks in advance.

Regards

Ralph

Ralph,

I've heard conflicting opinions on this one...so it's best to ask your doctor. But I would say this...since multi-vitamins are to be stopped a few weeks before surgery (because it can thin the blood), I'd stop MSN also (not sure if it thins the blood or not). But you can start again right after surgery.

Bill

Thank You Bill, you are always willing to answer all the newbie's questions. You are a true on-line mentor. Since I'm like 10 days out to my procedure, I will stop the intake of MSM and re-start again after my surgery.

Regards

Ralph

Hi

Guys? Do you think that stuff actually works? I have looked into research and have not found anything solid.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Many physicians are still not totally comfortable with what MSM's side effects really are. Some are. Most aren't. I researched this prior to my procedure and this is what I found. You can check under my recent posts about things that can thin blood prior to surgery.

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/146...861/m/9481066492/p/1

or

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/146...761073892#3761073892

Hope this helps.

MSM and blood thinning.

http://www.arthritis-msm-supplements.com/faq.htm

The key paragraph says this:

Is safe to mix MSM with other prescribed medications?

MSM has been observed in clinical settings some indications that it may have a blood-thinning, aspirin like effect on platelet aggregation. Therefore, you should consult your doctor if you are taking high doses of aspirin, or blood-thinning medication such as heparin or dicumarol.

Would indicate that MSM should be discontinued like asprin prior to transplants.

Glad to hear you can keep taking it per Dr. Hasson............I would have sided with Bill about stopping.

I started it right after HT#2 hoping it would help my hair grow faster (not make the HT hair come in quicker, just existing hair) since I had to shave down. It MAY have worked..................I figured since a 1 month supply is around $7 at Walmart, what the heck?? It's also good for the joints which is a bonus. icon_smile.gif

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thanks guys for all the info. I will stop MSM just in case and resume right after my HT. I'm also using 5% Minoxidil along with Propecia, Dr. Epstein told me to keep using Propecia but I don't remember about Minoxidil, your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Best Regards

Ralph

doses
Ralph

Just had my HT 2 weeks ago and Dr. Hasson said I could keep taking MSM which I did with no problems...Cheers

Now I tend to be one to analyze every word of a sentence and put it in context to get meaning...so from this statement, I did not gather that it is necessarily OK to keep taking MSM before a procedure according to Dr. Hasson...but I didn't gather that it's not ok either. So, more context would be helpful to understand what this means icon_smile.gif. So did he say that it's ok to take MSM all the way up to the day of the surgery? Or did he just say it's ok to continue taking it post op moving forward?

But with evidence posted that it could thin the blood, I'd still err on the side of caution. After all, clinics do state to come off of Aspirin and multi-vitamins for that very same reason icon_wink.gif.

Bill

I'm with Hairbank on this one for sure! Its cheap, some swear by it, and the fact is, it has some legitimate uses for joint maintenance, and i for one have lots to think about in that area, with three knee surgeries under my belt and countless traumas to all the other major joints! lol! So what the heck. Why not.

oh oh oh... but that ignores the issue about when to take, when to stop. Sorry, nuthing much to say on that. I think Bill and others make sense, but the doc says its cool... gotta look for that third tie-breaking authority!

Guys? Do you think that stuff actually works? I have looked into research and have not found anything solid.

JOBI

What about it guy's? Is it really worth taking another supplement everyday that doesn't grow new hair. From what I have read, it might make your hair grow faster if anything.

Has anyone's Hair Doc actually recommended MSM?